Any Complains with Navigation System

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PapaRoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm getting ready to pull the trigger and buy a new RAM. I was wondering if the navigation system works as good as the stand alone Garmin? My wife has an Acura, and the nav system is down right terrible! So is this system something that I shouldn't count on performing accurately?

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Mine works great. Really like it vs. the older REC/NAV system in my 3rd gen and it sooo much better than the wife's Mazda CX-5 system.

Easy to use but I have one niggling issue. By the time the NAV says you are at the street you need to turn on, you may already have passed it. So head up, eyes out and keep looking for that street sign by the time the NAV says you are within 500 feet of your turn or ultimate destination.

pkrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
I have a new 17 and my only complaint is the same as maddog's, missed a few turns cause the Nav does not give accurate notifications ahead of time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grant211

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
My 2017 didn't come with Nav and I regret not getting it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Broyd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The maps are out of date by about 2 years. The updates, when available, cost about $150 BUT are also out of date by 2 years.

lonestar21

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wouldn't trust it. doesnt provide accurate info

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
so far i have no complaints with it on my 2016

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
It's not bad, but it's not as good as the Garmin stuff either. The only thing I prefer about the previous gen UConnect that I have in my 300 is the nav. It was a big improvement moving to a Garmin-based system and I think they took a step back with the new ones.

Cardhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Pricey to buy, pricey to update, local roads in Canada not great. not as good as my windshield mounted garmin from 2009. The new garmins are even better with lifetime map updates for 100 bucks CAD.

Bought mine used. If I had order I would have skipped it.

But, its in the truck, I can't forget it, turn by turn is nice. Will it perform? Yeah it will get you there. Just better options that are less pricey but less integrated.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Until chrysler add carplay or android auto i would say its ok. But like others said they are expensive to update

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Pricey to buy, pricey to update, local roads in Canada not great. not as good as my windshield mounted garmin from 2009. The new garmins are even better with lifetime map updates for 100 bucks CAD.

But, its in the truck, I can't forget it, turn by turn is nice. Will it perform? Yeah it will get you there. Just better options that are less pricey but less integrated.

Mine is junk. Been to Alaska, Newfoundland and point in between and have to use my Tom Tom because the built in NAV is so pitiful.

b5rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
the contrast is horrible, and the street names are too small. I'm not blind by any means, but other systems I've had are much easier to read

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I wouldn't use the 8.4 Navigation as a reason to buy or not buy a particular truck if it has everything else you want. Like others have said, the map database is out of date and it sometimes takes you on a wild goose chase. It is nice to have running while traveling to keep tabs on where your at but I use Google Maps for my primary navigation tool.

Last edited:

barr0208

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 ram 1500 sport long bed
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4 ruby red

hello fellow Manitoban.:roflsquared:

JerBear

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2014 Ram 1500 Big Horn and I love the navigation. I use it a lot and I have found it to be very accurate. I've read a few other fellas who believe it's trash but I just haven't found that... I guess it depends on where you live. In my humble opinion it's better than the phone (way to small and can't hear it very well) and the smaller hand held garmins (still way to small and can't hear it very well) the larger screen is terrific.

I had to use my phone on vacation in Orlando and just couldn't find the best place in the rental car to place the phone where it didn't fall or skid around. I couldn't hear the phone when others were talking. I missed my 8" screen and the navigator giving directions over the truck's speakers.

Bottom line, I use mine a lot and like it.

Is it perfect? No, but better for me than my iPhone and/or Garmins. Again, just my opinion... for what it's worth.

Lufty

Muskies Bite
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 REBEL
Engine
My only complaint is it could update a little quicker...sometimes almost missing turns as others have said.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
i have no complaints with the OEM nav. it actually works great compared to other OEM navigations ive used in the past. the display in the cluster is a nice touch as well. is it as good as a garmin unit, probably not, but well worth what it costs for the times ive used it. i would buy it again.

KarL45

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express quad cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 MDS
Having the 2014 2500 with the 7.4, at first I cussed it but as we learned how to use it, it did fine even on our 4 month Alaska trip last summer. As has been previously stated, if you are in an unfamiliar area and expecting turns and such, patience is important as it takes it time to project the next turn especially in some close intersections. Also, pre programming it to what type of route to take, ie. scenic , direct, etc. will make a huge difference. Also, not being able to change the destination or modify on the move is a pain when you have a co-pilot. When towing big and heavy, having to pull over to change something is a pain. Also, as many of us use these vehicles for towing larger trailers, an RV app would be night and day in some parts of the country. Would gladly pay extra for it rather than a stick on Garmin. Probably will have to end up sticking a Garmin on the 7.4 screen to be able to have the RV app especially when traveling back east. Sad, as has been stated before, the on dash navigation is really nice to have especially in heavy traffic. Not having to take your eyes off the road to look over at another screen is awesome. All in all, found it to navigate and recognize even trails out in the middle of nowhere where you could barely see tracks and have it be accurate. Amazing I thought. lol Somehow doubt it would take me where there was a void on the road. Even in Alaska or Canada. And one other thing, it will navigate given a coordinate rather than an address as it is in Canada. Found that handy more than once. All in all, thought it worked well just took time to figure out how to use it efficiently. Also, wish the updates were more frequent but so far have found few problems unless major construction has occurred. All in all, would purchase it again but wish the RV app would be an option.