Any hope for this RA4 radio?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Got my RA4 delivered today from LKQ. Looks to me like they just ripped all the smaller connections off like the GPS, Antenna, 911 etc. Certainly doesn't look like the back of the radio in the upgrade posts here. Anyone think it can be used this way/fixed or should I just send it back? I did get a great deal on it, but it also has a warranty. I see no way the connectors will be able to lock in this way.... Frustrated.... Thanks all.

My Radio:
Connectors.jpg

Radio from mpgrimms thread:
GimmsRadio.jpg

Last edited:

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Got my RA4 delivered today from LKQ. Looks to me like they just ripped all the smaller connections off like the GPS, Antenna, 911 etc. Certainly doesn't look like the back of the radio in the upgrade posts here. Anyone think it can be used this way/fixed or should I just send it back? I did get a great deal on it, but it also has a warranty. I see no way the connectors will be able to lock in this way.... Frustrated.... Thanks all.

My Radio:
Connectors.jpg

Radio from mgrimms thread:
GimmsRadio.jpg
It may be cheaper to get it fixed than return it and get another one for more. You need the locks on the connectors. Idk if they snap back on if you had then or not.

NavRepair.com
Poc: Austin
[email protected]

M² Mods - From my non Flammable S7!

Last edited:

jcarden10

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not sure how the plugs are originally attached, but maybe you could buy just the colored plug part and attach them with some kind of glue/adhesive.

Edit: I think the plugs are called fakra connectors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jcarden10

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Or go the Navrepair route like Mpgrimm2 said. Looks like the plug second from the right is bent down slightly, also.

OP
OP
chopperman1

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
It may be cheaper to get it fixed than return it and get another one for more. You need the locks on the connectors. Idk if they snap back on if you had then or not.

NavRepair.com
Poc: Austin
[email protected]

M² Mods - From my non Flammable S7!

Thanks! I just sent them an email with some pictures. So much for the weekend project!

jcarden10

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can only imagine how disappointed you are. I got mine in on Monday and couldn't wait to get home and get it installed. Like a kid on Christmas!

OP
OP
chopperman1

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Not sure how the plugs are originally attached, but maybe you could buy just the colored plug part and attach them with some kind of glue/adhesive.

Edit: I think the plugs are called fakra connectors.

The "shafts" themselves feel like there is a barb on them that goes all the way around. My guess/hope if the Fakra connection portion that belongs on the radio just slides over them and clip on the barb. No other way I can see how they would be retained. If that is the case it could potentially be a short money repair.

jcarden10

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here's a pic of the connectors on my RA2. I would assume they are the same on the RA4. As you can see, there are barbs, as you said, on the inside of the connectors that I'm assuming catch on a "lip" on the shaft. 9799b455e2349dcd7455f64066ccedf2.jpg

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Personally IMO if they yanked on the antenna leads hard enough to rip the farkra connectors off and bend one, I would be concerned there may be damage to the connection or even where they are attached to circuit board. I would contact them and ask for a replacement. Even if you replace the connectors, you may or may not have problems perhaps annoying intermittent ones. Only possible issue I see is were you made aware of this prior to purchase? If not they owe you a replacement, should not be up to you to fix that one.

Last edited:

CostaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
The bottom line is when you bought it did you knowingly purchase a damaged unit?

Ripped off connectors means that someone was in hurry to take the cables off,
and this may indicate that the unit was stolen ....
It can also means that someone needed the connectors and took them from this unit;
so no shady operation.

Whatever, you should have it fixed or replaced!

Chris

OP
OP
chopperman1

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Total bummer.... Nav Repair said to send it back, Grrrr. I've already called LKQ and they are sending a return shipping tag. Got such a great deal on it too, 350$, 362 with shipping. I knew nothing about the damage prior, if I had I certainly wouldn't have bought it.

et todd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
yeah send it back.navrepair probably wouldn't want to just replace the connectors they would have to make sure it was in total working order like a new radio which i don't blame them at all they have a name and reputation to protect and by the time you figured everything up you would have over 500.00 in it or more.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
corumba