Anybody replace the 8.4 non-alpine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mhb1638

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've seen a few posts in searching, but nothing really answering what I'm looking for. Has anyone replaced their factory 8.4" deck with the newer Pioneer/Alpine/Kenwood setwood with Idatalink stuff to incorporate the air, nav, steering wheel controls, seats, etc. I have full Kicker (Mopar) replacement speakers and was considering swapping decks in hope of a better frequency curve and settings than factory ones.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i personally havent but yes its been done. and yes it will make an improvement to the sound.

however the nav isnt part of the of the idatalink part its part of the deck.

personally i would look into a deck that offers carplay or android auto before i got an aftermarket with nav. reason being is your maps programs on your phone is usually updated automatically and the ones on the radios cost a few hundred dollars to update the maps.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
IMO the only way it is worth it is the Alpine 9" screen. I could never fathom spending a grand and going to a smaller screen.

HeavyOne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
Yes, I replaced my 8.4a non-alpine with a Kenwood DDX9903S w/Idatalink and Scosche bezel. Everything works perfect now. I had some serious issues with the dash lighting randomly staying on overnight but the Idatalink folks released an updated firmware for the unit which fixed my issue.

OP
OP
M

mhb1638

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i personally havent but yes its been done. and yes it will make an improvement to the sound.

however the nav isnt part of the of the idatalink part its part of the deck.

personally i would look into a deck that offers carplay or android auto before i got an aftermarket with nav. reason being is your maps programs on your phone is usually updated automatically and the ones on the radios cost a few hundred dollars to update the maps.
Yes sir, I should have clarified that...it will be a deck that has those features for sure!
IMO the only way it is worth it is the Alpine 9" screen. I could never fathom spending a grand and going to a smaller screen.
The Alpine unit that I know of that does this stuff is meant for the base model radio and also almost 2 grand......?
Yes, I replaced my 8.4a non-alpine with a Kenwood DDX9903S w/Idatalink and Scosche bezel. Everything works perfect now. I had some serious issues with the dash lighting randomly staying on overnight but the Idatalink folks released an updated firmware for the unit which fixed my issue.
Great!! WOuld you mind posting (or even emailing me) some pictures of the screens? Like the AC controls, media, nav? I would greatly appreciate it very much! Also, did you do the install or someone else? I ask cause of the idata link...looks like this is something done through a PC first.....

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah its around 2 grand.

IMO you are still better off going with a processor.... going to need one anyways to truly get the sound you want. The non-Alpine signal is no where as bad as the Alpine signal. Don't get me wrong, I am usually for a new deck, especially with Maestro, but I do not think it is the right solution for you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mhb1638

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah its around 2 grand.

IMO you are still better off going with a processor.... going to need one anyways to truly get the sound you want. The non-Alpine signal is no where as bad as the Alpine signal. Don't get me wrong, I am usually for a new deck, especially with Maestro, but I do not think it is the right solution for you.

I know what you're saying bud. Since I'm already out of pocket around 800-1000 give or take...maybe the next "cheap" option is amp the highs with a DSP amp (like the Kicker ones Gray suggested). My concern in this is the front. The door and dash share the same signal as Im sure you know....so my "thought" is amplifying things will only make the dash even more annoying.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anything but an active front stage will share the same signal. A properly set up passive front stage (what you have now) would still share the same power and signal, however good passive sets include a crossover that will distribute the frequencies accordingly. With your Kicker speakers, I am willing to bet there is no filter on the door speakers and a high-pass filter only on the tweeters. So essentially you have your mid woofers trying to play the same frequencies as the tweeter.

There is a reason in most audio set ups (especially home audio) the crossover is the most important and the most expensive piece.

HeavyOne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
Yes sir, I should have clarified that...it will be a deck that has those features for sure!

The Alpine unit that I know of that does this stuff is meant for the base model radio and also almost 2 grand......?

Great!! WOuld you mind posting (or even emailing me) some pictures of the screens? Like the AC controls, media, nav? I would greatly appreciate it very much! Also, did you do the install or someone else? I ask cause of the idata link...looks like this is something done through a PC first.....

Sure, I'll try and take some this weekend. Although, someone else here on the forum did post each of the Kenwood screens fairly recently. I don't have heated seats or the auto climate stuff, but seems these Idatalink/radio combos figure out which options you have and adjust the radio display accordingly. I do run an RF 360.3 in my setup. Nice unit, although a bit buggy in design (BT woes, knobs flake out upon occasion, etc). I had originally purchased it in trying to get the best out of the 8.4a, but was never really happy with it. Unfortunately, for me, the big screen was the only part I liked. Didn't care for their GUI layout, although I've heard the new ones are much better. I haven't seen one myself.

OP
OP
M

mhb1638

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anything but an active front stage will share the same signal. A properly set up passive front stage (what you have now) would still share the same power and signal, however good passive sets include a crossover that will distribute the frequencies accordingly. With your Kicker speakers, I am willing to bet there is no filter on the door speakers and a high-pass filter only on the tweeters. So essentially you have your mid woofers trying to play the same frequencies as the tweeter.

There is a reason in most audio set ups (especially home audio) the crossover is the most important and the most expensive piece.

You say the front may be sharing the same input...Might be right....I wonder if I pulled just those speakers and replace them with a proper set of 6.5 components that comes with its own xover. All this plus an amp of course. My thought is the kicker amp. Run speaker wires all the back to the deck and plug in there so I don't have to run to each door.

OP
OP
M

mhb1638

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It would be a great start in the right direction.

Question.... So you think I need a bracket like the one attached to make this work? If so, so I mount the tweeter with it or break up to the dash?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170313-145522.jpg
    Screenshot_20170313-145522.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 45

Forcepro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
JL Audio Fix-86, Audison Bit 10 or JBL MS-8

OP
OP
M

mhb1638

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks Force! Great suggestions.

I'm kinda at a crossroads with my decisions. So I ordered the following:
Kicker 40KX4004 4 --which has built in DSP.
Kicker 40CSS654 - to replace the Kicker/Mopar front speakers-and stay along same lines of brand
6x9 mounting plate
Stinger SGW9920 - speaker wire

Here's my dilemma....To run all this to the factory head unit I ordered as well Kicker KISLOC (2x). These are to convert the speaker level to RCA inputs for the amp. But now I'm second guessing this. Seems I could do something else, like AudioControl LC6i. I guess either or will work, but now I;m second guessing the Kicker converters...............

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txram956