Anyone upgraded factory sub?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BassDaggett

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I saw a post on another forum about some folks removing the alpine sub from the factory enclosure and replacing it with a shallow pioneer sub. Just wondering if anyone on here has kept the factory enclosure and replaced the sub. From what I can tell the factory enclosure is the only one that doesn't require removal of the fold flat floor and I'm wondering if this might be the compromise I'm looking for.

sullivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I saw a post on another forum about some folks removing the alpine sub from the factory enclosure and replacing it with a shallow pioneer sub. Just wondering if anyone on here has kept the factory enclosure and replaced the sub. From what I can tell the factory enclosure is the only one that doesn't require removal of the fold flat floor and I'm wondering if this might be the compromise I'm looking for.
I'm about to install a massive subwoofer in my ram and was doing a bit of research and saw that pioneer replacement that your speaking of. It is a good route but you could also get a fox acustics box which would be the better option if you want more bass.

FOX ACOUSTICS LLC

The pioneer subwoofer would basically be a simply swap of the subwoofer. The fox acoustics route would require a lot more work and money but is not much more difficult.

OP
OP
B

BassDaggett

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
The problem with basically every box out there is I would have to give up the fold flat floor, something I'm really not ready to do... and if so, I definitely wouldn't want to raise the seats as I believe there is safety concern with doing that.

OP
OP
B

BassDaggett

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
... Note, I don't have the factory sub right now, so I basically have very limited bass from the kicker 6x9s. I'm thinking an upgraded factory enclosure with 300W RMS (from my amp) would be a lot better than nothing and better than a Kicker Hideaway.

Kapt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L

I did this, sorta. I replaced the factory sub with a Rockford Fosgate one similar to the Pioneer. It made a nice difference, but there was no oompf going to the sub. I decided that if I was going to go through the trouble of adding an amp, I might as well do it all and add subs too.

It did make it sound better though. It's all in what you want. Keep in mind that if you were to change the sub, and then add power to it, you may grenade that factory enclosure. It didn't seem all that "strong" when I took it out. Kinda flimsy even

blkbaretta

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not necessarily soliciting, but I do have the Pioneer replacement sub for sale over in the for sale section :).

I agree, it is a nice upgrade - but I ended up deciding to get rid of the fold flat floors and put in 2x10's... just couldn't stand not having what I've been used to with other vehicles.

OP
OP
B

BassDaggett

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Not necessarily soliciting, but I do have the Pioneer replacement sub for sale over in the for sale section :).

I agree, it is a nice upgrade - but I ended up deciding to get rid of the fold flat floors and put in 2x10's... just couldn't stand not having what I've been used to with other vehicles.

I'd be interested in the sub and enclosure if you still have them.