ap4-ch41 installation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey all, getting ready to swap out my lc2i for the pac ap4-ch41. Ive got aftermarket jl dash speakers and possibly door speakers as well. Not going to amp them, but just use a monoblock amp for two 10w6's. Anyone know how I hook the pack up? Do I keep the lc2i for the speakers and just use the pac for the subs? Not sure it'll work like that and the speaker. Terminations at the lc2i don't have rca connections.

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm trying to figure out what you're using the LC2i for if you are running off of head unit power and not an amp.

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm trying to figure out what you're using the LC2i for if you are running off of head unit power and not an amp.

Looks like the speakers are running from the lc2i and then the aftermarket amp connects to the lc2i for a subwoofer.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Why waste your money on the pac piece. its NOT needed! your lc2 is taking care of the signal from the head unit to the amp. if you have no intentions on amping the front speakers the pac it a waste of money

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Why waste your money on the pac piece. its NOT needed! your lc2 is taking care of the signal from the head unit to the amp. if you have no intentions on amping the front speakers the pac it a waste of money

Because I already blew a $250 sub by clipping the **** out of it with the lc2i and am replacing with two subs worth $1,000. My understanding is that the pac sends a cleaner signal and allows a lower frequency than the lc2i setup. Also, knowing myself, there is a high likelihood that I'll upgrade and amp the speakers in the future. :D

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
makes sense, just curious how did you determine it was the lc2 causing the clipping? Where did you have your gains set? where did you have the adjustments on the lc2i set? what kind were the old subs/amp? what is the new amp going to be?

Personally i would use an LC2i any day over the pac piece. the pac is more of a convenience item since its plug and play you have the ability to adjust a lot more with what you have.

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
makes sense, just curious how did you determine it was the lc2 causing the clipping? Where did you have your gains set? where did you have the adjustments on the lc2i set? what kind were the old subs/amp? what is the new amp going to be?

Personally i would use an LC2i any day over the pac piece. the pac is more of a convenience item since its plug and play you have the ability to adjust a lot more with what you have.

There was a JL xd300v2 powering the 10w3v3. I upgraded to the JL xd600v2 and cranked it up 2/3rds. I know I clipped it too much because the lc2i has an indicator light showing that it's clipping and I fiddled with the lc2i prior to adjusting the settings appropriately and didn't adjust it in time (one week). The new setup is two 10w6's w/ Rockford fosgate r1200-1d in a ported foxbox.

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So based on the diagram and pics attached, I assume the speakers are still wired via the factory amp and the input wires into the lc2i are being fed via the factory amp. I assume I'll be able to just disconnect these wires at the factory amp and install the pac amp pro to my new amp along with the new power kit. That sound right to you audio gurus?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170718-201924.jpg
    Screenshot_20170718-201924.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_20170707_162346.jpg
    IMG_20170707_162346.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_20170707_162252.jpg
    IMG_20170707_162252.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 53

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
if its hooked up like that yes but who knows. whoever did that install in the pics did they use an 8ga power wire? wow i would never trust them with my car

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
if its hooked up like that yes but who knows. whoever did that install in the pics did they use an 8ga power wire? wow i would never trust them with my car

Yes, it was 8 awg, original aftermarket amp was only 300 watt.

BadHabit2Break

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
First, I would get rid of the 8awg power wiring. That JL XD600 requires 4 gauge power and ground wiring is recommended for installation.

You can actually get rid of the LC2i and replace it with these if you wanted to. JL recommends it, Speaker level inputs via RCA, JL Audio XD-CLRAIC2-SW required.
https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_45960_JL-Audio-Speaker-Wire-to-RCA-Cable-XD-CLRAIC2-SW.html

Then set your gains properly and you should be good.

Even when you had the XD300 installed, the installer should have ran 4awg as it is recommended by JL.

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've already got stinger 4awg 6000 series that I'm going to be putting in for the Rockford fosgate amp.

Spanka

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OH, I see you went with the PAC unit!! Good choice! Remove the LC2I completely from the truck. You can use the PAC to send signal to just the subs if you want, using the factory amp to power the door and dash speakers. http://www.ramforum.com/f51/2015_alpine_sucks_changed_everything_but_hu-105477/index3.html if you decide later you want to amp the doors and dash the preouts are there for that too!

So I tried tracing the wires to the lc2i and it doesn't look like it's connected to the factory amp. I tried unplugging the lc2i and the speakers worked perfectly fine. Guess I'll run the pac to just the sub?

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Spanka

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I just plugged it in and set my amp crossovers, I set gain with multi-meter then ran a 40hz tone and went up until distortion to dial it in.

If you unpluged the LC2I and all the dash and door speakers worked they were just using the lc2I to send signal to the sub amp, which is normal for that application.

The PAC unit has rca outs for highs mids and lows, once installed just plug in your RCAs to the lows output and run that to your amp. Pay attention to the port tune on your box and tune the SSF to about a half an octave below that. if you are using the fox acoustics box for 10s, the port is at 35hz I tuned mine to 25hz and all is good. The signal from the PAC unit is a true full range signal so the filters must be set correctly at the amp. Our trucks mid bass starts at around 80hz and goes on up from there, I set my low pass at 100 and it sounds pretty good right there. As for setting gains, Just youtube " how to set gains using a multimeter" thats your best bet to not fry another sub. I can tell you I am running two sundown SA10s on a SCV 2000w amp in a fox acoustics box its loud but not flex your windshield loud you need a bigger box for that. If I had it to do over again Id buy the 12s box and put 10s in it.

The good thing about the PAC is you can amp the door speakers when youre ready and the RCAs are already there so its as easy as just plugging in your rca cables and running them to your amp. No summing of wires, splicing after the amp, tracking down which wires go where to what and then the gain hiss.... ahhhhh it didnt matter what you did high end DSP or audiocontrol or whatever else the gain hiss was so prominent it would drive me insane. NO MORE with the pac unit its super quiet now!! Until Im ready for it to get loud!!

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just plugged it in and set my amp crossovers, I set gain with multi-meter then ran a 40hz tone and went up until distortion to dial it in.

If you unpluged the LC2I and all the dash and door speakers worked they were just using the lc2I to send signal to the sub amp, which is normal for that application.

The PAC unit has rca outs for highs mids and lows, once installed just plug in your RCAs to the lows output and run that to your amp. Pay attention to the port tune on your box and tune the SSF to about a half an octave below that. if you are using the fox acoustics box for 10s, the port is at 35hz I tuned mine to 25hz and all is good. The signal from the PAC unit is a true full range signal so the filters must be set correctly at the amp. Our trucks mid bass starts at around 80hz and goes on up from there, I set my low pass at 100 and it sounds pretty good right there. As for setting gains, Just youtube " how to set gains using a multimeter" thats your best bet to not fry another sub. I can tell you I am running two sundown SA10s on a SCV 2000w amp in a fox acoustics box its loud but not flex your windshield loud you need a bigger box for that. If I had it to do over again Id buy the 12s box and put 10s in it.

The good thing about the PAC is you can amp the door speakers when youre ready and the RCAs are already there so its as easy as just plugging in your rca cables and running them to your amp. No summing of wires, splicing after the amp, tracking down which wires go where to what and then the gain hiss.... ahhhhh it didnt matter what you did high end DSP or audiocontrol or whatever else the gain hiss was so prominent it would drive me insane. NO MORE with the pac unit its super quiet now!! Until Im ready for it to get loud!!

Perfect, thanks for taking the time on the write up. I am using the foxbox. I'll be pushing 10w6's... Bought one off cl used, which is a V2, which I regret, and the other is a new V3. Trying to see if I can unload the V2 and get another new V3.

Last edited:

Spanka

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
No problem, good luck with your build sounds like you're putting some money into it, no doubt those w6s will sound killer in that fox box!! the airspace is perfect and will hit soooooooo low in that box!! Aint gonna lie... Im a bit jelly, sure wish I had the money for those JLs!

JL 10w6 needs .75 ported to 37hz, fox box is 1.35 ported to 35hz. That setup is gonna get LOOOOOOWWWWW!!!

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No problem, good luck with your build sounds like you're putting some money into it, no doubt those w6s will sound killer in that fox box!! the airspace is perfect and will hit soooooooo low in that box!! Aint gonna lie... Im a bit jelly, sure wish I had the money for those JLs!

JL 10w6 needs .75 ported to 37hz, fox box is 1.35 ported to 35hz. That setup is gonna get LOOOOOOWWWWW!!!

Haha thanks dude, kinda got outta hand with my build... Started from wanting to push the 10w3v3 a bit harder with a new amp and blew it fiddling with the lc2i.

I blew my budget that I had allocated for headers. But hell, I've got a JL stealthbox, a blown w3v3, an xd300v2, xd600v2, and an lc2i that I can sell to recoup some costs... At least that's how I justified it in my head hahaha.

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I blew my budget that I had allocated for headers. But hell, I've got a JL stealthbox, a blown w3v3, an xd300v2, xd600v2, and an lc2i that I can sell to recoup some costs... At least that's how I justified it in my head hahaha.

I used that exact same justification! That's why I have Hertz Hi-Energy 3 way components, 6x9s, and an Audison Bit One sitting in my garage after being swapped out.

:roflsquared: :roflsquared: :roflsquared: :roflsquared: :roflsquared: