Apple Car Play

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

UPSTrucker13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ve searched and couldn’t find the answer to this. I really want Apple Car Play in my 2017 Ram. A few years ago I put a really nice Kenwood with Apple Car Play in another truck I had and I noticed it had options for vehicle information. My current truck just has the 5.0 U Connect but it does control things like how long the headlights stay on etc.
My question is, if I were to buy a nice head unit with Car Play, is it going to control everything the factory stereo does? I know there are a lot of adapters that are needed and also wonder roughly about how much extra ALL OF THE NEEDED adapters will add to the cost.
Thanks in advance, and sorry if this has been answered already, but I couldn’t find it anywhere.

bhonshell37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I’ve searched and couldn’t find the answer to this. I really want Apple Car Play in my 2017 Ram. A few years ago I put a really nice Kenwood with Apple Car Play in another truck I had and I noticed it had options for vehicle information. My current truck just has the 5.0 U Connect but it does control things like how long the headlights stay on etc.
My question is, if I were to buy a nice head unit with Car Play, is it going to control everything the factory stereo does? I know there are a lot of adapters that are needed and also wonder roughly about how much extra ALL OF THE NEEDED adapters will add to the cost.
Thanks in advance, and sorry if this has been answered already, but I couldn’t find it anywhere.
Have you checked Crutchfield?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
U

UPSTrucker13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No I haven’t, but will they tell if it will work the factory options or not? I know they have all the adapters and install kits, but with the crazy electronics of these new trucks, I don’t even know what all I’ll need. I’ve installed many a stereo in my day too. I’ve just never delt with a vehicle that the radio controlled vehicle functions.

bhonshell37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
No I haven’t, but will they tell if it will work the factory options or not? I know they have all the adapters and install kits, but with the crazy electronics of these new trucks, I don’t even know what all I’ll need. I’ve installed many a stereo in my day too. I’ve just never delt with a vehicle that the radio controlled vehicle functions.
They should. Just give them a ring

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
U

UPSTrucker13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just figured someone on this board had done this upgrade

Gwerner74

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I just figured someone on this board had done this upgrade

It can be done, I did it last year in my Mustang. Go with a CarPlay enabled head unit that also has an iDatalink port. If you pair that head unit with the Maestro RR from iDatalink you'll be able to retain most of your factory controls including the steering wheel controls.

You will lose the below if you have them though:
- Sirius XM (this is built into the stock radio, you'll need a standalone Sirius receiver for this)
- If you have a stock microphone for bluetooth/phone calls, the mic won't work, you'll need to mount the microphone that comes with the new head unit.

EDIT: Crutchfield will have everything you need to get it done. I personally went with the Kenwood DDX9903S and loved it, I went for one without navigation since Apple CarPlay let me use the maps app and it worked great.

Tyrant

Reaction score
Ram Year
'12CC / '15RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It can be done, I did it last year in my Mustang. Go with a CarPlay enabled head unit that also has an iDatalink port. If you pair that head unit with the Maestro RR from iDatalink you'll be able to retain most of your factory controls including the steering wheel controls.

You will lose the below if you have them though:
- Sirius XM (this is built into the stock radio, you'll need a standalone Sirius receiver for this)
- If you have a stock microphone for bluetooth/phone calls, the mic won't work, you'll need to mount the microphone that comes with the new head unit.

EDIT: Crutchfield will have everything you need to get it done. I personally went with the Kenwood DDX9903S and loved it, I went for one without navigation since Apple CarPlay let me use the maps app and it worked great.

this post right here :happy107:

OP
OP
U

UPSTrucker13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The only thing I don’t like is losing the factory microphone. I know the new head unit will come with a clip on mic but I don’t understand why they can’t keep the factory mic. Also, why they can’t keep factory XM antennas. Oh well what can ya do

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

Gwerner74

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The only thing I don’t like is losing the factory microphone. I know the new head unit will come with a clip on mic but I don’t understand why they can’t keep the factory mic. Also, why they can’t keep factory XM antennas. Oh well �� what can ya do

Like joshuaeb09 said, you can absolutely use your stock Sirius XM antenna, you'll just need a separate receiver. They are smaller than a pack of cigarettes and very easy to mount behind the radio.

As for the mic, you can probably get the factory installed mic to work but it's not going to be a plug and play solution, you'd have to hack into the vehicle harness to make it work. When I did my install I felt that was one step too far. I mounted the new mic on top of the steering column and to be totally honest, I didn't even notice it after a few days.

OP
OP
U

UPSTrucker13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does the aftermarket mic sound as good to people you talk to as the stock mic?

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I created a thread when I installed a new HU to take advantage of Android Auto/Carplay. Just click my name and see posts I've created. Everything you need to know is in there.