Audio noob with a question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys, So tomorrow I'm getting my 12 inch Kicker CompVR sub installed paired with a Boss Audio Riot 1100 watt amp. It's going in a Fox acoustics sealed box.

My question is, since I'm getting this installed, would it just be worth it replace all my other speakers in the truck all at once??

I'm looking at Kicker CS series 6x9's 3-ways for the doors. I'm not sure what I'd put in the dash.

Tbh i think the stock speakers sound pretty decent as is, but I've never been in a vehicle with after market speakers (only a sub). Not sure if its worth?

Any suggestions?

Bigtymes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You will get much better sound with aftermarket. I'm no pro either. Actually have a post going myself. I used kicker ks series back in 2010 in a suburban. They were okay. Not sure what your budget is, but it may be worth waiting a little while on the install to get a better speaker online for around the same cost. I have exercised extreme patience in building a system, and it's still not installed yet. With that being said, I've accumulated over 6k worth of merchandise for about half that. I was looking at kicker myself when I started my thread. Through research I found it better to go with focal. And got them very reasonably priced by waiting for them to come from Italy. For instance, here are the speakers you're referring to I believe. What are they running at the stereo shop?
e7940d5e1b591e32a86f2ed77cdada9c.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Itsalifestylee
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the reply! We'll to be honest in the area I live there are only 3 reputable audio shops who I would trust installing with my truck. 2 of them are independent places but want nearly 250 for the install of the amp/sub. I called Best buy to just ask how much they would charge and they said 150... so honestly it be dumb for me not to do it there.

I just looked and BB sells them for 85 for the pair.

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
Can't blame you for using best buy. Personally not a fan of boss. Over stated power ratings, fixed xover points on some amps. Depth of the speaker is my only concern. You may run into the window track back there. BB's problem. Where in fl?

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
wow 250 those little shops are trying to make a killing off of you. hell back in my install days (about 6-7 year ago) my shops would charge about 75-100 for a sub amp and 100-150 for a amp to the high speakers.

on a side note get rid of that POS amp and save up if needed for a good amp. that is HIGHLY over rated in the power. you will be lucky to see 1/3 of that power. If you can get a "1000" watt amp for $70 its a joke.

it appears you are trying to get this on a budget but wait a little longer and save up more.

OP
OP
Itsalifestylee
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
wow 250 those little shops are trying to make a killing off of you. hell back in my install days (about 6-7 year ago) my shops would charge about 75-100 for a sub amp and 100-150 for a amp to the high speakers.

on a side note get rid of that POS amp and save up if needed for a good amp. that is HIGHLY over rated in the power. you will be lucky to see 1/3 of that power. If you can get a "1000" watt amp for $70 its a joke.

it appears you are trying to get this on a budget but wait a little longer and save up more.

Thanks for the input. As far as the quality of that amp it seemed "decent" with the reviews I read. Also i only bought it to power single subwoofer which I think would be just fine. As I said I I have no knowledge of anything audio related so there's that lol. And no not a budget I just found something with good reviews at a low price that appeared to be powerful to cover my single sub. Can you blame me?

And located in swfl, around Naples.

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
I would listen to these guys, Save up some cash to get a better amp

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the input. As far as the quality of that amp it seemed "decent" with the reviews I read. Also i only bought it to power single subwoofer which I think would be just fine. As I said I I have no knowledge of anything audio related so there's that lol. And no not a budget I just found something with good reviews at a low price that appeared to be powerful to cover my single sub. Can you blame me?

And located in swfl, around Naples.

Not knocking you. i was in the business for 10+years so im just letting you know. Those are what i would consider as a "pawn shop"/ "swap meet" brand. the ones when you hear them advertising a 1000 watt amp for $50...

for a decent - good amp you can expect to pay $0.50-1.00 per rms watt of power.

Not to scare you, but i have seen those melt power wire before.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
Save your money and go Alpine PDX for the amps. They're small, digital, low heat, excellent sound and output for their rated power. When I say low heat, these things barely get warm. I installed them in the center console of my last Ram.

Don't get Boss, Planet Audio, Pyle garbage.

OP
OP
Itsalifestylee
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Alright guys, so I'm here now waiting for them to get it installed. I brought up the concern for the budget amp and the two guys here agreed it wasn't the best; however, they both agreed that it should be fine for just a single 12. And this was out in front of the amp section and they didn't try to upsell me at all and gave me their honest opinion.

The only options available in store were a kicker 1200W CXA600.1 for 200$, a pioneer 1600W for 160 and this sick looking JBl club-5501 1300W for also 160. All other amps were low peak wattage.

So we'll see guys, honestly if the amp gives me any issues at all I'll buy a different amp. I'll update you guys how it sounds later!

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
NEVER pay attention to peak power. your amp will NEVER come close to using it. Only pay attention to RMS power. The RMS power of the amp needs to match the RMS of the sub.

Its just like a radio, radios will advertise max power 50x4 blah blah blah.. in reality they put out about 8-10.

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
Since you bought the amp, run it. For the record, Alpine's MRP M-500 sells for around $120 off Amazon. 300 watts @ 4ohms, 500 watts @ 2ohms. Its small, runs cool at a 2ohm load, and is bullet proof. I ran two (one for each sub) for YEARS without issue. Just giving you more options.

OP
OP
Itsalifestylee
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
im so happy with the results.. it sounds so good exactly how I'd imagine it. Makes me want another 12 but honestly I don't think it needs it!! Next step is replacing the doors and dash!!

Attachments

• IMG_1939.jpg
    IMG_1939.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 27
OP
OP
Itsalifestylee
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Since you bought the amp, run it. For the record, Alpine's MRP M-500 sells for around $120 off Amazon. 300 watts @ 4ohms, 500 watts @ 2ohms. Its small, runs cool at a 2ohm load, and is bullet proof. I ran two (one for each sub) for YEARS without issue. Just giving you more options.

Thanks for the advice!

Bigtymes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
im so happy with the results.. it sounds so good exactly how I'd imagine it. Makes me want another 12 but honestly I don't think it needs it!! Next step is replacing the doors and dash!!
Looks pretty good. Did you have to raise the seat? I have a system I can't wait to get installed. Have a couple things left to buy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk