Audio upgrade to a 2014 Ram 1500 Big Horn - looking for some install advice.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
MX-Designs 3-Way Systems

Depth may be an issue at 3.5 for the 6x9.

I had no problem with 6.5 in the door and tweeter in the dash. Granted it was active so I could add some delay and volume changes all around.

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
So my esotar 650 was 2.6" deep into the doors but I really don't know how much space was available behind that woofer. I used a 3/4" spacer with that speaker (which had a 9mm linear xmax) I can tell you with confidence that my speaker/surround never came in contact with the inside of the door panel...even at full xmax. So a 3/4" spacer will help get that 6x9 out of the door a bit which will help. It's gonna be close!
MX-Designs seems pretty cool. I like how you can mix/match the components. I always wanted to try a 6x9 woofer due to cone area.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I fit Rockfordfosgates 6x9 in all 4 doors, and the Rockford Fosgate 3.5 in the dash and it made a difference. Without an amp though the mid range from the dash speakers will overpower the doors. Just a heads up as they are on the same circuit so you need to attenuate the dash somehow.

OP
OP
metalmancpa

metalmancpa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I stumbled upon a nice surprise in my garage today, in a bin. I was looking for the stock speakers from my old 300 I'm getting ready to sell. I found two pairs of Boston Acoustics 6x9 speakers, fairly old but well rated models. The 3-way RX97's and the 2-way NX97's. The RX is 3" depth and the NX is 2.6", so the front seems to be covered by the NX. I emailed Crutchfield to see if they have harnesses for these speakers. If so, I could use these, get the Infinity 3.5's for the dash and the Kicker sub for the rear. I had hoped the 3-ways would fit in the front but they're too deep.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I stumbled upon a nice surprise in my garage today, in a bin. I was looking for the stock speakers from my old 300 I'm getting ready to sell. I found two pairs of Boston Acoustics 6x9 speakers, fairly old but well rated models. The 3-way RX97's and the 2-way NX97's. The RX is 3" depth and the NX is 2.6", so the front seems to be covered by the NX. I emailed Crutchfield to see if they have harnesses for these speakers. If so, I could use these, get the Infinity 3.5's for the dash and the Kicker sub for the rear. I had hoped the 3-ways would fit in the front but they're too deep.

Bostons are usually very efficient, so the stock radio would run them nicely. I still caution that the best result will be to separate the dash speakers and run them from an amp as they share the line with the doors, and they will not play nicely. You will get a ton of sound from the dash speakers and they will suck up the power for the big door speakers.

OP
OP
metalmancpa

metalmancpa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bostons are usually very efficient, so the stock radio would run them nicely. I still caution that the best result will be to separate the dash speakers and run them from an amp as they share the line with the doors, and they will not play nicely. You will get a ton of sound from the dash speakers and they will suck up the power for the big door speakers.

I do understand that, but with this find, at least at this time I can upgrade and save some $$, something I do not have a lot of. Down the road I could consider amp/components. Thing is, I'll be "wasting" money with the Kicker sub because if I amped I would want a better sounding sub. I had a Kicker & JL Audio in my previous car and it was night and day between the two - JL way better than Kicker.

At least my hope is with the BA's for now, that their efficiency will help mitigate somewhat the dash speakers overpowering the doors as BA is not power hungry.

At this point I know anything will be better than stock, and for less than $1K I can get all new speakers and a sub.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any subwoofer will add a lot regardless of power. Ill put money on even a 30 dollar eBay woofer will add a layer of sound you are missing.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
metalmancpa

metalmancpa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just chatted with Crutchfield. The Boston Acoustics NX97 will fit in the front (shallow depth) and the RX97 in the rear. They have the harness. With the Infinity REF-3022cfx in the dash and Kicker Sub, it's $810 for the upgrade. In my case, that's fairly short money and no need to rewire anything. I know running off the stock amp isn't the best, but I cannot change my financial situation, and I am assuming/hoping this upgrade will provide significant improvement with the audio system where I can be satisfied with it for the life of the truck in my hands.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh you have the stock alpine amp? If I missed that I apologize, the fronts will already be separated if that is the case.

OP
OP
metalmancpa

metalmancpa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh you have the stock alpine amp? If I missed that I apologize, the fronts will already be separated if that is the case.

No Alpine. Base stock system, no amp. Thus front signal just split to doors/dash - full range,It's why the Kicker self-powered sub is my only non-amp solution, letting the head unit drive the speakers. Since these Boston Acoustics are efficient s you mention, again I am hoping that with the Infinity dash upgrade, they won't overpower the BA's in the front door since they are efficient.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Might get lucky, adding a subwoofer and be done around 300 bucks for good/great setup depends on how handy you are.

OP
OP
metalmancpa

metalmancpa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Might get lucky, adding a subwoofer and be done around 300 bucks for good/great setup depends on how handy you are.

I've done many self-installs in my life. I began at age 17 diving into that world, and 40 years later I'm still at it. But I've slowed down due to either being over cautious that I will do damage somehow (most likely answer), or just can't find the time in my life. And I know my choice hurts financially, but something had to give and it was the finances. I'm handy, but age does play a factor (57) in how much I've slowed down over the years....I did run a half marathon in 1:38:09 last December, so not that slow :)

Guess I'm not a gambler. I don't trust my luck enough to play with my new truck I've worked so hard to get (and it was a struggle). This may be the best DIY thing I can do, balancing my time and quality.

OP
OP
metalmancpa

metalmancpa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ordered the Infinity 3.5's for the dash and will use the BA's for the doors. I called the dealer about getting some spare door panel clips just in case (and most likely) if I break them. I was told in the crew cab there are 6 clips per door. The shocker to me is they cost $5.82 each. What?!?!? That would be $140 to get all new clips. Now I have to be uber careful when removing the panels, because theoretically they are one time use clips.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
those door clips should come out real easy without breaking. It's a plastic screw with a plastic anchor.

doorpanelremoval4.jpg

doorpanelremoval6.jpg

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
Ordered the Infinity 3.5's for the dash and will use the BA's for the doors. I called the dealer about getting some spare door panel clips just in case (and most likely) if I break them. I was told in the crew cab there are 6 clips per door. The shocker to me is they cost $5.82 each. What?!?!? That would be $140 to get all new clips. Now I have to be uber careful when removing the panels, because theoretically they are one time use clips.

Did you order two sets of the Infinity 3.5's ?

If so would be interested in the extra ? let me know

Thanks

OP
OP
metalmancpa

metalmancpa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did you order two sets of the Infinity 3.5's ?

If so would be interested in the extra ? let me know

Thanks

Since I have the stock system, no center channel. So I only needed one pair. Sorry.

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
no sweat, looks like i will have to buy two sets,
Killing me go with the 92db MTX Thunders for 40 bucks less on two pairs or the 91db Infinities that sem to review better ?

I installed a 8" pioneer sub on Sunday in stock box

still breaking in, not louder but can tell already the clarity is much better
hoping for even more improvement as it breaks in
doing the 3 up front and rolling with stokers on the doors

Will make a determination on doors once this is all set in
Don't really want to have to deal with an amp and all that

boomer632

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ive read that with the Alpine system the door speakers or poly cones and pretty decent as opposed to the dash and sub which I have found to be paper cones when I upgraded. Prob stay with the stock door speakers as well. I believe they are 2 ohm speakers so finding replacement 2 ohm 6×9 speakers may be challenging and mat not perform much better if you do. If you put in 4 ohm replacements volume level will diminish.

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
yea that is the goal dash and sub replacements

then sit back and see how it sounds

Agree if I go with all doors probably will need to add an amp, but hoping for good results so I do not have to

boomer632

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did the 8" Pioneer sub and the 3 infinity dash. It really wakes up the sound. Jury is still out on the sub tho. Prob has to break in a bit but for right now..marginal improvement. Dash speakers were night and day improvement.