Audio upgrade to a 2014 Ram 1500 Big Horn - looking for some install advice.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
metalmancpa

metalmancpa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the insight,

I am hoping to get away with just a speaker upgrade and the 8" Pioneer sub replacement.
However if it simply does not meet expectations I am taking a hard look at the Kicker system.
Can you still use the fold down floors with this sub ?

the kicker sub goes on the drivers side and you lose that fold out floor but can keep the bigger passenger side fold out floor

Like quietpeen said. A small trade-off as I really don't see me using the foldout floor all that much. Haven't yet in 2+ months.

I think with an upgrade such as ours (minimalist), expectations going in should be realistic. I knew what I was willing to live with, and as I said, my expectations were met. Doesn't mean I don't miss a top shelf system as I'm used to, but the sacrifice of some overall sound for the simplistic upgrade was what I was looking for.

Last edited:

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
Thanks, tonight hoping to install the fronts and will see where I sit after that :cool:

OP
OP
metalmancpa

metalmancpa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks, tonight hoping to install the fronts and will see where I sit after that :cool:

Been following your upgrade. So tough to decide things, isn't it?

As for me, a few days in and already I am noticing the Kicker sub starting to loosen up and providing a little more depth. I have not done any sound deadening and am not getting any rattles. I may add some deadening down the road.

The biggest contributors to the much improved sound with my no rewiring upgrade are the Infinity 3.5's in the dash and the Kicker Sub. Of course the 6x9's in the door also are a marked improvement, but the increased clarity and lower end make the system.

I knew and accept the fact that by not going with an amp, front components, and a custom sub box, that the sound stage is more narrow than it could be. The OEM head unit amp is budget grade and I know that. But I honestly have no thought of upgrading again as I am satisfied.

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
I am glad everything has worked out, I agree at some point you just have to know this is it unless you want to really want to go full custom, looking at another thread and the RF sub that will fit behind the seat. The only thing keeping me from grabbing the Kicker plug and play is I would have to lose my fold down floor.

Also looking into seeing if there is anyway to use the factory harness and power my existing sub in the factory enclosure, thinking just power and ground would be easy to do if I can some use the factory harness as a crossover ???

OP
OP
metalmancpa

metalmancpa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
One of the Boston Acoustics NX97's blew in the front. Not surprising given their age. I ended up getting Pioneer TS-A6966R's to replace them, only $49.99 at Sonic Electronix. Also got two 10"x10" sound deadening panels to put behind the speakers.

OP
OP
metalmancpa

metalmancpa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Pioneer's are in, and hopefully this completes this upgrade.

Compared to an amped install with front components and a custom sub box, my upgrade doesn't compare. I need more volume to really feel the bass, whereas with my previous system it was much more well rounded at lower volumes.

But as compared to stock, it's much better. The sound stage is narrow, the bass isn't than clean deep bass I'm used to, but the Kicker sub does provide low end that was missing from stock. I'm still annoyed Kicker didn't have a bass level knob with their sub.

This was a balanced install, with one of the purposes to not affect stock wiring. This was the only way I could do that. Once an amp is introduced, need to rewire everything. I'm in this for around $1,000. I learned with the old Boston Acoustics speakers blowing that if I had done a full upgrade with amp I would have probably purchased all new equipment instead of putting in 10 yr old stuff, so much lighter on the wallet.