Audio Upgrade & Modification Basics!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Darin Sharp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just bought a 2015 ram with a vp1/ra1 radio. I would like to up grade to allow BT. Has anyone installed the newer 2017 version with BT into the older trucks? If so what all was involved?

Thanks

dlynch5412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If I want to replace the OEM Uconnect 3 with an aftermarket stereo would I lose my rear backup cam and the functionality of the USB ports?

dromonk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looking for my options have a 2012 bighorn with just a basic radio cd sirrus uconnect radio looking to upgrade to a factory nav system but not sure what radio to get and what else i need any info or directions

MajMike

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
MADDOG

"1. if you’re replacing your door speakers you really don’t need anything crazy like 3-way coaxial. A simple 2-way or full range speaker is fine and will save you money. Because the door speakers are usually crossed over at the amp to only receive the lower frequencies you would not be utilizing those tweeters on those 3-way coaxial they are doing probably next to nothing your midbass is doing all of the work so save the money on use it on something else.

2. Same scenario goes for the dash speakers. Using 2, 3 way 3.5" speakers is wasteful per say. With the dash speakers they are crossed over at the amp to only receive high frequencies to keep the sound stage high and in front of you. So really in this scenario you’re only utilizing the tweeter the midwoofers are doing next to nothing. A lot of people even opt to put a 1"-2" tweeter in the dash because really that is all that is needed. "

Just wondering about the crossovers being in the amp, I think it was crash68 who told me the dash speakers crossovers were built in. Pls check my posts in the forum

Economical Upgrade to Stock 6 Speaker System: 2018 Big Horn UConnect 8.4

Dcredneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello. I have the uconnect 5.0 in my 2017 ram. I already have subs and everything ordered, but my thing is my truck doesn’t seem loud at all. Is the radio itself not putting out much power? Do I need to buy aftermarket? I know my dad use to have an 02 1500 that he had to buy a stock amp bypass for, but I can’t find anything like for my truck.

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did you add an amp to the stock speakers?

MA-Beast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L 24V Turbo Diesel (ETJ)
This information is incredible. Its just what I need to purchase all the correct wire adapters, etc for the aftermarket radio to replace the mygig radio in my RAM that’s stuck in a loop.

I wont spend any money on a myGig radio since many forums for several vehicles all seem to have software problems. I want to buy a more robust product.

thank you

PGFREE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have ‘03 SLT Crewcab that I want to replace the OEM single deck radio/CD player with an Apple friendly DBL DIN unit, and do so without spending $$$$$.

Any suggestions of which DBL DIN units I should look at, and what are the required installation accessories for such???

Douglas Lumley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6-liter Pentastar V-6
Unfortunately my 2014 Ram 1500 doesn't have the proper radio to work with UConnect remote services. Does anyone know if I can upgrade my radio from the 5.0 to the 8.4 so I can use these services???

oldguy2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know nothing about the new audio systems and I have just bought a used 2017 Tradesman Ram 1500 with the base radio, a RA1 I believe. I would like to up grade to a better factory radio that I can use the cell phone hands free and stream music from it. Will the RA2 radio do what I want? Do I need anything else with it or just the radio? Will it work by just plugging it in or do I have to go to the dealer to have a computer reprogramed like everything else? Sorry about the stupid questions but that's what happens when you get old and technology passes you by.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
I just bought a 2015 ram with a vp1/ra1 radio. I would like to up grade to allow BT. Has anyone installed the newer 2017 version with BT into the older trucks? If so what all was involved?

Thanks

2010 to 2017 radio wil interchange with yoru truck/ get a 5.0 version with bluetooth, simple plug in play, pick it up on flea bay ro google junkyard ram radio. for link to national list of junkyard parts and spcify your area.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
If I want to replace the OEM Uconnect 3 with an aftermarket stereo would I lose my rear backup cam and the functionality of the USB ports?

depends if the new radio has a port for the video input. could be RCA jack ro some other type of connection. EIther way, will need to splic einto current wiring to connect the new connection type for get an adapter form crutchfield., I just splicced into my wiring and sent the video singal to both my mirror and kenwood rdaio. mirror is sharper,in bright daylight.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Looking for my options have a 2012 bighorn with just a basic radio cd sirrus uconnect radio looking to upgrade to a factory nav system but not sure what radio to get and what else i need any info or directions

More Power, get an amp. WHy even have a subwoofer with no amp?

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Unfortunately my 2014 Ram 1500 doesn't have the proper radio to work with UConnect remote services. Does anyone know if I can upgrade my radio from the 5.0 to the 8.4 so I can use these services???

use teh search feature, top of this page, tons of threads and how to go about it.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
I know nothing about the new audio systems and I have just bought a used 2017 Tradesman Ram 1500 with the base radio, a RA1 I believe. I would like to up grade to a better factory radio that I can use the cell phone hands free and stream music from it. Will the RA2 radio do what I want? Do I need anything else with it or just the radio? Will it work by just plugging it in or do I have to go to the dealer to have a computer reprogramed like everything else? Sorry about the stupid questions but that's what happens when you get old and technology passes you by.

first off, look at yoru steering wheel, I doubt you have the radio hands free calling feature activation button on teh left side of your currrnet steering wheel. you can add teh button but then you must also tie it into your OEM wiring harness. Upgrade to bluetooth radio is possible even OPEM radio but most OEM bluetooth radios have mics in the mirrors, so wouldneed o get mirror too or seperate microphone to install somewhere, I foudn it easier to just get aftermarket radio with more features. tons of threads on how to upgrade OEM radio, jsut use the search feature, top of this page, and look them up.

if going aftermarket radio, try for a MAESTRO compatable model, allows you to keep many OEM features. I did nto and now which I had.

oldguy2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks, I looked at a Kenwood but thought it might be easy to install factory radio. I guess it would be easier and cheaper in the long run to go after market. I already changed the mirror for a dual backup camera system so I don't want to mess with that.

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks, I looked at a Kenwood but thought it might be easy to install factory radio. I guess it would be easier and cheaper in the long run to go after market. I already changed the mirror for a dual backup camera system so I don't want to mess with that.

Besides, the stock radios kinda suck.

Pandasaretastey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just installed hertz audio 3.5’s in my dash. But now they overpower my door speakers and are way too bright. What can I do to tone them down?

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just installed hertz audio 3.5’s in my dash. But now they overpower my door speakers and are way too bright. What can I do to tone them down?

What system do you have? Is there an amp?

BrazenHaven

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 with eTorque

There are many threads that take a 4ohm resistor and put it in series to the dash speakers. The reason your dash overcompensates is the factory are 8 ohm and your aftermarket are 4. So they are receiving more power from the HU than previous. The resistor is the cheapest option as two 10watt 4ohm resistors are less than $20.

2019 Ram 1500 Rebel
N-Fab Epyx Bars, Bak Revolver X2, Mopar EVTS
Pro-tech bed liner, Flowmaster 40, Undercover Swing Case, Husky Mud Flaps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk