Audio Upgrade & Modification Basics!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vweaver

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Without reading all 10 pages in front, my best piece of advice is: Do your homework on purchasing and installing. Buying based on name, or what your cousin ****** recommends, can be costly, frustrating, or just wrong. Letting your brother-in-law help you choose or install because he once changed a speaker isn't going to work out for you either.

Once you figure out what you want to do, PLAN EVERY DETAIL down to connectors, wire type/size, where you are going to put things (MEASURE BEFORE BUY!), check if everything is compatible, and exactly how you are going to do it. Be able to install it in your head when you close your eyes.

There is almost always a snag somewhere, but meticulous pre-planning can avoid a disaster.

Best advice #2: Don't skimp on quality. You don't have to have top-of-the-line components, but don't use cheap connectors or jury-rig things together. It's better, safer, and cheaper to do it right the first time.

NASCARR5Valaint

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OK guys, I'm old and a newbie at this so be kind. I have a 2012 Ram 1500 that took me 1 1/2 years to find to buy. Standard cab, Ram box 4.7 engine (not first choice) and NOT the normal white, or silver color. It's saddle Tan Pearl.
Here's my questions for you all. I'd like to install a better radio/ navigation type OEM radio in this truck. It has the basic radio now. I've read through the forum about this but still have questions. First off, what year or years radio/ nav will work and fit? Does anyone out there have one of these for sale? What problems can I expect to encounter doing this job. I've looked at aftermarket systems and would prefer something that looks original. I don't need a radio that will pop sheet metal spot welds so the million amp system is not needed!

This truck has 200,000 plus miles on it, bought from original owner who was a courier. Freeway miles only three times a week. All maintenance was done at a Dodge garage and I have all recites. Fuel mileage is staying around 16.5 to 17.9, in town driving after several tanks. If I drive it to stay up with traffic, here in Phoenix Arizona everyone thinks they're racing all the time, the mileage drops to 15 to 16. Power seems pretty good after 3,000 RPM, below that it's kind of a grandpa/ grandma truck for the get-up and go. My other truck is a 1978 step-side original 440 engine truck, so! Very tight as far as rattles or noise, but it also needs (badly I think) a posi in the rear end. (It's a two wheel drive) Has the trailer tow package from the factory and the trailer light blinks all the time when no trailer is connected. Is this normal, dealer couldn't tell me either way.

Well guys, any info will be a very big help. Thanks

Atkpilot1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 diesel
12a6acdf867800efef68a89a896ff53c.jpg

While upgrading my radio to the new Panasonic I accidentally disconnected these three wires from the adapter. No xm signal. Volume wasn’t working but now it is.

Wonder if I need a new harness or can I get these in the correct slots. 16 choices three wires. That gives a lot of combinations.

Backup camera not working, figure these wires have to do with that, everything else working. Didn't change out hub yet, that's a longer process!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
MADDOG

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Audio is soooo much fun...

11.jpg

10.jpg

Now...what wire was I looking for ???

salmore

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi,

I'm in process of installing aftermarket amp to my 2015 5.7 Ram 1500 Rebel with the touch screen navigation/radio.
I'm using a box to tap into the wires of the left and right speaker to convert into RCA... but unfortunately I'm unable to find any schema as to which cable is which... does anyone have any links or help?

Thanks in advance!

*** Got it sorted, nevermind.

Last edited:

Skyjockey

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Warlock 4x4
Engine
3.6L
Hi,

I'm in process of installing aftermarket amp to my 2015 5.7 Ram 1500 Rebel with the touch screen navigation/radio.
I'm using a box to tap into the wires of the left and right speaker to convert into RCA... but unfortunately I'm unable to find any schema as to which cable is which... does anyone have any links or help?

Thanks in advance!

*** Got it sorted, nevermind.
https://www.amazon.com/PAC-AP4-CH41...=1570714098&sprefix=ap4-ch41+r,aps,153&sr=8-1

I'm thinking same thing, keep factory head unit but upgrade the rest. I think this plugs into your radio, they tap off the speaker wires and send them to the LOC to RCA, let all the other signals pass thru

Let me know if you come up with something

Skyjockey

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Warlock 4x4
Engine
3.6L
https://www.amazon.com/PAC-AP4-CH41-AP4CH41-Compatible-2013-2017/dp/B01N7WAB6C/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1JATRK2HOEOOR&keywords=ap4-ch41+r.2&qid=1570714098&sprefix=ap4-ch41+r,aps,153&sr=8-1

I'm thinking same thing, keep factory head unit but upgrade the rest. I think this plugs into your radio, they tap off the speaker wires and send them to the LOC to RCA, let all the other signals pass thru

Let me know if you come up with something
https://catalog.pac-audio.com/?fc=m...ar=13946&aamp-sbv-trim=15996&aamp-sbv-submit=

Michael Varner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Im looking for a little feed back if possible , I just installed a Kenwood Excelon DMX 906S in my 2018 Tradesman, everything works great execpt the hands free mic. I hear the people fine on my end but on their end they get alot of noise and it sounds muffeld or like in a hole, the thing is its only at speed, while sitting still at a stop sign its fine , just at speed it goes bad ? I called crutchfield and they didnt have much of an answer. I think it may be picking up interfearance from all the wires crammed into that tight space. I orderd a ground loop isolator and figure ill give that a try maybe??? Thanks for any ideas

Dannyn_01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
looking for some guidance... id like to keep my 8.4 head unit in the truck. I have the base 6 speaker setup. if I upgrade all 6 speakers, and eventually add a subwoofer. will I need to run any amp wires to the speakers?
thanks.

BrazenHaven

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 with eTorque
If you are just upgrading factory speakers you can use the factory wires. Unless you are trying to run a component system then you will need to wire them to an amp. I plan on upgrading mine as well, but just utilizing the power from the factory head unit. Crutchfield gives you the adapters to factory wiring and guides if you buy speakers from them.

For the corner dash speakers there’s a thread on here where you should add a 4 ohm resistor because the factory radio sends 8 ohms to the dash. And most aftermarket are 4 ohms. So to match the factory you add the 4 ohm resistor in line.

How To: 4 Ohm Resistor Upgrade For Aftermarket Dash Speakers
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/to...Speakers.125742/&share_type=t&link_source=app

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IxsharpxI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is good news for us without the premium sound system but PAC released this new ampPro that doesnt require a stock amplifier. Was wondering if anyone has used it or the older version of it with the premium system and how the results were? fix the bass rolloff and give you clean signals to work with?

P/N: AP4-CH41 (R.2)

Cbuts05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Get a Rockford fosgate dsr1.. is what I plan to do very soon to replace.my resistors

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is good news for us without the premium sound system but PAC released this new ampPro that doesnt require a stock amplifier. Was wondering if anyone has used it or the older version of it with the premium system and how the results were? fix the bass rolloff and give you clean signals to work with?

P/N: AP4-CH41 (R.2)

I'm running the previous version on my system with the factory Alpine. It works well to get a clean, flat signal out of the stock radio and feed whatever you want.

KZram103

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just purchased a 2011 sport with the 6.5” touch screen u connect and alpine system.

I would like to upgrade the head unit to I get Apple car play, and wouldn’t mind going to a larger display as well. Any suggestions?

Tl806

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I just purchased a 2011 sport with the 6.5” touch screen u connect and alpine system.

I would like to upgrade the head unit to I get Apple car play, and wouldn’t mind going to a larger display as well. Any suggestions?
Alpine ILX-W650 is what I installed.

843A2B94-7343-4C12-85C3-BDBE17A26CC7.jpeg

wuelfman

Reaction score
Ram Year
RAM 1500 ST QUAD CAB 4X4 black express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
how do you like the 650? do you have the amp installed as well?