Automatic headlights don’t turn off sometimes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2014 Sport with the automatic headlights. I always leave them in automatic. I have a daily commute of an hour one way. In the morning, the automatic headlights will stay on the entire way to work and it’s plenty bright enough outside. At some points during the drive, the sun will be beaming straight down on the sensor and it stays on still! It’s kind of annoying. I like the automatic headlight feature when it works so I don’t want to turn it off. I had a 2013 F-150 with the automatic headlights and they worked much better than the Ram. I was wondering if anyone else has issues with this and if/how they fixed it. Thanks!

HAMMER77777

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I have a 2014 Sport with the automatic headlights. I always leave them in automatic. I have a daily commute of an hour one way. In the morning, the automatic headlights will stay on the entire way to work and it’s plenty bright enough outside. At some points during the drive, the sun will be beaming straight down on the sensor and it stays on still! It’s kind of annoying. I like the automatic headlight feature when it works so I don’t want to turn it off. I had a 2013 F-150 with the automatic headlights and they worked much better than the Ram. I was wondering if anyone else has issues with this and if/how they fixed it. Thanks!

On mine, They do stay on SOMETIMES, in Bright Light, but They do eventually go off, at some point. You may want to have the dealer look....

OP
OP
Sir John

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On mine, They do stay on SOMETIMES, in Bright Light, but They do eventually go off, at some point. You may want to have the dealer look....

Yeah, that's how mine act too...kind of how you just described it. It's at the dealership tomorrow for this and couple other things. We'll see what they say...I'm not holding my breath.

HAMMER77777

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Yeah, that's how mine act too...kind of how you just described it. It's at the dealership tomorrow for this and couple other things. We'll see what they say...I'm not holding my breath.

Ya, let them Check it. But honestly, if They werent coming on in The Dark, we'd have a problem. If They stay on a bit extra too long During The Day, no harm/no foul, i guess.:) It's Low-Beam anyway

Last edited:

O.R.T.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
It's happened a couple of times with mine this summer, I just wait until I am at a stop light and switch the lights off until the next stop and then put them back on automatic, usually solves it. I will note when it happens is when there's been condensation on the inside of the windshield, maybe the sensor dome is fogged up so it leaves them on?

Sixxram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I noticed mine staying on a bit longer than I'm used too. They do turn off though, so no biggie. Let us know what you find out if you take it in.

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There is a delay programmed into them for turning off, so maybe software glitch. They do that so they aren't always going on and off when you go under overpasses and such.

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Mine started doing that for the first time the last weekend! I thought it might have had something to do with my HID's but after 10 mins of driving they shut off.

jcat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
make sure the light sensor on your dash is clean.

Other than that the sensor might be going bad. I never have any issues with my auto lights.

OP
OP
Sir John

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the replies. Glad I'm not alone with this....I always buy the lemons....lol. I thought about that maybe something was blocking the sensor a while ago, but there's nothing in the way. I had the dealer test it today. Apparently the sensor works off from UV light and not the brightness. The dealer uses a UV light test to check the sensor. Mine is working as it is supposed to or so the dealer tells me. I guess it is just something I have to get use to or just turn it off.

Ram-NB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Anyone know the part number for the auto headlight sensor on the dash? Also, is it easy to replace?

Thanks.