back up cam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

barr0208

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 ram 1500 sport long bed
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4 ruby red
weird I started up my truck a few days ago and put my truck in reverse nd noticed my lines that show up on the screen are not there but the cam is working. anyone having a problem like that???:roflsquared:

SwollenMonkey16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you go to your settings and see if for some reason the guide lines were turned off?

OP
OP
B

barr0208

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4 ruby red
went into the evic it says its on tried to turn it off and back on but it wont turn off tried a reset still no lines on the screen.

OP
OP
B

barr0208

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4 ruby red
ok I posted in the wrong section I went into reverse the other day and my screen is not showing the line pattern I checked in the evic tried to turn the guide lines off and on it wont let me. I tried a reset still not working and wont let me turn the guide line app off it goes right back on .and still no lines anyone got any ideas???

OP
OP
B

barr0208

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4 ruby red
went into the dealer today they are replacing the back up camera next week.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What radio do you have Sir ?
Is the backup cam a factory install , or an oem add on kit ?

I doubt the camera will fix the issue of no active guide lines .

I'd trace the wire and look for a loose connection or the likes .

The guide lines are generated via the BCM C -5 connector socket #45 , should be an orange & dark blue wire .
@ the tailgate disconnect under the bed it's the wire #6 , @ the camera disconnect (inside the tailgate ) it's a tiny 24 gauge light blue wire .

Changing the camera may fix it if the loose connection is inside the tailgate. ..
If the camera doesn't fix it I'd be tracing that wire looking for a connection issue .

Hope this helps !

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The OP's info says his truck is a Laramie so the backup camera should be factory installed. I agree with RLK the camera should have nothing to do with the grid lines. If I am not mistaken he has stated that when he tries to turn the active guidelines setting to off in his menu it will not let him. I would definitely be checking for loose connections as RLK stated but also a possible BCM issue and maybe a possible reflash of the code to see if it clears it up.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks Rick , glad to see you here Sir !

@ the OP , the wire chasing I posted above is for the oem add on kit , since yours is a factory install the wires may be different than I explained not certin as I'm only familiar with the oem.add on kit .
Maybe M2Mods will chime in for some confirmation or further troubleshooting details .

OP
OP
B

barr0208

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4 ruby red
thanks for the info as I am under warranty for 2 more years if they want to replace the cam when that does not work they will probably replace the radio lol.

OP
OP
B

barr0208

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4 ruby red
ok read the work sheet they found an active dtc uo264-00 lost communication with camera they checked for open circuits with cam disconnected as per procedure cam to be replaced.they also checked the relay. the factory camera has a listed price of $315 wow

Last edited:

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ha ha your probably right on the radio , amazing "sometimes " how clueless the dealerships can be
Looks like they are on the right track finding the lost comm dtc .

I've seen these factory cameras same p/n in a sealed Mopar bag on ebay for $40.00 , I actually purchased one for $56.00 , amazing the list price being north of $300

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's strange. I would think if you had lost communication with the camera you would have no picture on your screen. Your active gridline signals are actually controlled by your clockspring. They are just overlaid on the screen. When you turn the steering wheel the clock spring sends a signal to move the lines on your screen. The main thing that is puzzling to me is that you cannot change the setting on your radio options screen, especially since they are showing the guidelines are activated but they aren't working. I am definitely curious to see what happens when they replace the camera.

Last edited:

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm interested to see this as well , I completely forgot that he had said he couldn't turn the active gridlines off or on on the Parkview settings . Combined with the radios settings being on all the time regardless of what's chosen by the operator , definitely strange .

And Sir Rick , you are correct about the steering wheel clockspring. To my knowledge if I remember correctly the BCM C-5 connector socket # 45's orange & dark blue wire is the signal that goes to the clockspring which is the beginning signal for the active gridlines then through the BCM and ultimately overlay ed to the radios camera display .

@barr0208 , couple things .
Does your cruise control & ABS work properly ?
I ask because the clockspring behind the sterringwheel air bag also serves a function for the cruise & abs brakes among other things I'm forgetting I'm sure .
Also did you have to get the sterringwheel air bag recall complied with ? Not sure if your truck would've been effected or not ? If it was then the dealer would've had the airbag off and I believe the steering wheel as well ....

OP
OP
B

barr0208

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4 ruby red
no recalls on my truck including the airbags and my cruise and abs are both working fine.and if I get a new radio mine has nav I might get the new updated maps.:)

Last edited:

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Sorry for the delay. Been super busy lately trying to find a house.

My guess is that the lack of communication/grids lines is the Lin Bus CBC 3 signal from the BCM C5/E-45 (org/DB) wire going back to the camera.

Seems like it is more of a communication signal to the camera vs a straight on/off voltage signal (if I recall RLK's previous checks with a VoM).

@ Barr
If you want, you can look over the install schematic and the related 4 connectors that the signal goes through on its way back to the camera using either of 2 threads ...

Cptwing's Installing OEM Backup Camera thread, post 10
http://www.ramforum.com/showthread.php?p=974372

Mpgrimm2's 2013+ Shared Schematics and other OEM Info
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...&share_tid=86768&share_fid=17770&share_type=t

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If the dealer does get it fixed , try to get as much info from them as to what they found and how they fixed it .

I have little confidence in most dealers ; however , there are some out there that are fantastic .

If I remember correctly the BCM C-5 / E-5 -45 Lin Bus CBC3 Signal wire dropped to about 9 vdc when shifted into reverse .

I'd start inside the tailgate on the tiny baby blue wire checking for voltage in run/ACC , then while running in reverse (2nd person required )
The plug for the camera is very accessible with the tailgates large panel removed .
I then would just work my way forward to the BCM until the discrepant connection / wire was found .
There's two connectors & harnesses inside the tailgate and the tailgate disconnect would check the main long harness going fwd to the BCM C-5 Socket # 45 .

Just let us know what the dealer finds , fixed or not . If not I'm certin we here can assist in your troubleshooting , so you can go show the dealer where the issue is
If they don't fix it of course.

OP
OP
B

barr0208

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4 ruby red
update replaced cam no change waited 2hours to download a update didn't work, now taking it in next Friday so they can work with fca and go to the next step???? I am betting new radio and then what lol.

OP
OP
B

barr0208

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4 ruby red
got out of the dealership my radio has been bricked while flashing an update getting a new radio and the updated maps included lol.