Backup camera error

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MikeEMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2015 Ram 1500 big horn just started doing this this morning, everything was working fine last night. Shift into reverse and the screen says system unavailable and goes to static or solid green. There's no damage to the camera and it was working fine yesterday. The local service department is 5 days out at least so I wanted to see if anyone else had this happen and had a fix. I've already tried disconnecting the battery for about 10 minutes as a reset to no avail.

Attachments

• RAM backup camera error.jpg
    RAM backup camera error.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 43

Devin1349

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My father in law had the same issue with his '13 the dealership said it might be a loose connection with the wires (Whatever that means).

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check the connection down between the tailgate and the truck bed.... maybe it's loose???

OP
OP
M

MikeEMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check the connection down between the tailgate and the truck bed.... maybe it's loose???

I just checked the connections back behind the bumper by the spare where the tailgate wires come through and they all seem tight. Couldn't find any other connectors in that area that would be related.

OP
OP
M

MikeEMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did your 8.4 update to the latest version?

No I haven't done any updates recently. The strange thing is after running around town some more yesterday it started working again, so I'm a little stumped. Makes me think there is a loose connection that I missed. Guess I'll have to see when/if it happens again. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just checked the connections back behind the bumper by the spare where the tailgate wires come through and they all seem tight. Couldn't find any other connectors in that area that would be related.

I think there is another connection in the tailgate, that goes from the main harness to the camera itself....

OP
OP
M

MikeEMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think there is another connection in the tailgate, that goes from the main harness to the camera itself....

I'm guessing you'd have to remove the panel on the interior side of the tailgate to access it then, correct?

snapper23

Reaction score
My truck has done this several times as well. The dealer has changed the camera and checked the wires several times. However it is still doing this after several service visits. Back to the dealership I go.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

MikeEMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My truck has done this several times as well. The dealer has changed the camera and checked the wires several times. However it is still doing this after several service visits. Back to the dealership I go.

That's not good to hear, best of luck; if they come up with a fix let me know. Looks like I'll be going to the dealer after all as the problem started again this morning.

snapper23

Reaction score
My appointment is next week. I have been told that the main radio screen might need replacement. They have changed everything else so far.

reb0957

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
My 2016 started doing this. A few days after I started moving into my new home. I was constantly opening and closing the tailgate so i figured I knocked something loose. Popped the connector off at the bed and it appeared tight. Looked at connectors in tailgate they appeared tight. Disconnected connector at bed it was clean. Applied some dielectric grease in connector and it is the clearest that camera has ever been.

OP
OP
M

MikeEMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2016 started doing this. A few days after I started moving into my new home. I was constantly opening and closing the tailgate so i figured I knocked something loose. Popped the connector off at the bed and it appeared tight. Looked at connectors in tailgate they appeared tight. Disconnected connector at bed it was clean. Applied some dielectric grease in connector and it is the clearest that camera has ever been.

All of my connections seemed tight as well, can't tell why the problem would come and go as it does. Electric grease is a good idea, I'll put some on just as a preventative measure and see if it doesn't help.

snapper23

Reaction score
Well I have an appointment with the dealership and a tech from ram coming to look at my truck in regards to the back up camera and the new issue of the trailer hook up saying I am not connected while driving with trailer hooked up. This is also an intermittent problem. Everything still works except the brakes on the trailer when this message flashes up on the screen for a few seconds and then goes back to normal operations. I will let you guys know what's up

patchelect

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have you had any excessive rains lately? My Subaru Outback suffers from a rain related issue. Camera is fine when it's been dry, but gets screwy after a good rain. A few days sitting in the sun and all is right with the world. I need to make the time to pull things apart on it. I know from the forums that it is a somewhat common issue. Might be similar on a RAM.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Subscribed .

Let us know what the dealer says , I have a couple things for you to check if the dealer doesn't fix the issue .

Good luck @ the dealer .

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

eprovenzano

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the same issue... If I slam the tailgate the camera sometimes work, others not... The dealer said they can only diagnose if its not working... tough to make an appt. to have repaired as every time I get to the dealer, it starts working again

photonburst

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Had the purple wave ghosts in my camera too. Intermittent like some of you have said. For me, pulled off the tailgate cover and really just made sure connection to the camera was tight. 4 weeks and counting of it working correctly. Thinking of slopping some dielectric in there next.

Speaking of dielectric, it helped with my intermittent trailer connection too, just like Snapper has issues with. A buddy gave me a length of velcro to secure the trailer plug to the truck socket and recommended I also carefully clean the metal prongs on the plug of dust/corrosion/gunk. So far, so good.