Backup camera interference

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cgiese80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi guys. I've got an aftermarket head unit and backup camera. The camera gets amazing and clear picture when i back up but when headlights out lights in general are on i get pretty bad interference. I hooked up the camera to the trailer plug and also have an LED tail light. It's grounded to the frame. Any idea how to get rid of this issue? Tia

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
C

Cgiese80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do you have it wired up so that the license plate lights turn off when the camera turns on in reverse???

No, license plate light don't turn off and yeah camera turns on when in reverse. Everything is hooked up to the wires from trailer plug. Camera and led light bar together

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Try unhooking the LED light bar and see if you still have the problem....

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'd remove the ground , re burnish to clean Shiney bare metal , apply a small amount of dielectric grease when reinstalling verify proper operation , if it works better then clean the ground and immediate surrounding area and compleat cover with clear silicone about 1/2 in around the entire ground assembly.

If reestablishing a proper ground doesn't fix it you may need to install a better camera with its cable being electrically shielded , or reroute your existing cam cable away from all other wires to help prevent electical interference.

Also make sure your ground is a stand alone ground for the camera signal , as opposed to being attached to other grounds .

Hope this helps !

OP
OP
C

Cgiese80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'd remove the ground , re burnish to clean Shiney bare metal , apply a small amount of dielectric grease when reinstalling verify proper operation , if it works better then clean the ground and immediate surrounding area and compleat cover with clear silicone about 1/2 in around the entire ground assembly.

If reestablishing a proper ground doesn't fix it you may need to install a better camera with its cable being electrically shielded , or reroute your existing cam cable away from all other wires to help prevent electical interference.

Also make sure your ground is a stand alone ground for the camera signal , as opposed to being attached to other grounds .

Hope this helps !

I will definitely try that. Camera works perfect unless lights are on which means tailgate light bar will be on to. I don't know if it makes a difference but i have the camera and lightbar wired together to the trailer plug. Basically i gave a 3 way now

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'd definitely wire the camera completely independent.

OP
OP
C

Cgiese80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'd definitely wire the camera completely independent.

Exactly my thought. I might wire it to the tail light reverse light wire, that way will be independent and will ground it separately too and see if there's any changes

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i would also only use the reverse lights at the trailer plug as a trigger to trigger a relay. there have been many threads on here about people wiring directly to it to power the cam and have issues. when i relayed mine in my old '13 i had no issues.

OP
OP
C

Cgiese80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
i would also only use the reverse lights at the trailer plug as a trigger to trigger a relay. there have been many threads on here about people wiring directly to it to power the cam and have issues. when i relayed mine in my old '13 i had no issues.

Sorry but I'm no expert on this electrical stuff. How do i add a relay? Thanks