Backup camera issues....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
So I attempted to put a Pyle PLCM10 backup cam in today.

should have been real easy right?

hah wrong...

**** came with no instructions

I wired the power and negative to the backup light. ran the rca under the truck and into my cab, plugged it into my head unit.

That should have been the end of it but no. I put the truck in reverse and i get a black screen no picture. But since it was dark i could see the camera getting power via the "nightvision" leds

I tried both polarities ground and battery, neither worked. Now to make matters worse my head unit is stuck on the camera no matter what i go to PNRD plugged or unplugged lol...

But its not over. On the RCA cable there is something i have never seen before so i had no clue what to do with it.

20150713_204001.jpg

a orange wire comes out on both sides of the rca. I tried to connect the one side to the reverse wire behind the head unit. It did nothing, i didnt have time to try connecting the other end. I got too frustrated with the fact that i cant use my head unit right now.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
I think that wire needs to tie into the reverse trigger wire from the head unit. And if there is a corresponding on the adapter harness it gets tied to that also

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OP you dont say, but are you running a factory or aftermarket head unit?

If aftermarket there is an input to the radio that needs to be triggered when in reverse. If it is aftermarket what module/harness did you use? all modules have the reverse trigger in them.

OP
OP
kg93

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I think that wire needs to tie into the reverse trigger wire from the head unit. And if there is a corresponding on the adapter harness it gets tied to that also

i tried having the headunit side tied into the reverse wire. Should i tie the camera side to the negative also? seems redundant

OP you dont say, but are you running a factory or aftermarket head unit?

If aftermarket there is an input to the radio that needs to be triggered when in reverse. If it is aftermarket what module/harness did you use? all modules have the reverse trigger in them.

aftermarket. The screen for the camera comes on when its put in reverse but its just a black screen.

I have the reverse trigger hooked up.

The camera is on in reverse and hooked into the head unit but no picture. It has something to do with the stupid wires coming out of the rca but i cant figure out what

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
What head unit do you have and wiring adapter kit did you use

OP
OP
kg93

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
i have a pioneer avic 5100 and im using the metra adapter kit.

does anyone know if the reverse wire coming out of the head unit harness is a positive or negative connection? im guessing positive

I found online that the wire coming out of the rca is for cars without a reverse wire on the harness, so im going to try to wire it up without the harness. maybe that will lead to something. Other than that im thinking the camera isnt working, since i just get a black screen and the camera is getting power

Last edited:

acwood04

Reaction score
I have a pioneer 6100NEX and have been looking for the reverse wire located by the gear lever, I don't want to wire the reverse sensor all the way back to the light. Anyone know which and where this wire would be located ??

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
What I've found is this

Screenshot_2015-07-14-19-44-44_zpskxx6dzee.png

Screenshot_2015-07-14-19-45-24_zpsvyly8a6h.png

Screenshot_2015-07-14-19-50-43_zpswyu1ie1b.png

And you may need a different wiring adapter or tap into the reverse trigger wire. The only instructions I found for the metra kit for 2013+ didn't have a reverse wire. The kit I have is this http://axxessinterfaces.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=202 which has it included. So you may need to find the reverse trigger wire and tap into it to get it to work. You should be able to find it here
https://techauthorityonlinedemo.extra.chrysler.com/service/repair/wiring/view/classic.htm

Last edited:
OP
OP
kg93

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
thats the wiring harness i have and i have the backup cam wired like that.

My reverse wire from the headunit is connected to the reverse wire on the harness which is why it still switches to the backup camera when i go into reverse. Only there is no picture.

im thinking the camera might just not work, im going to try one more thing tomorrow

OP
OP
kg93

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
okay so the update of the day is...figured out my reverse wire issue. The one from the harness doesnt work so i used the one on the rca, now that works correctly.

But still, no picture just a black screen, im thinking the camera is bad, or the rca is bad. either makes no sense.

Im going to see if i can get a different rca to see what happens

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
What did you tie into for the 12v source

OP
OP
kg93

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
my reverse light

Mitchellsan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm having the same problem with my camera. Did you eventually figure it out?

dpine1231

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
i read that if you tie into the reverse light on the 7 pin trailer hookup you will have better results something about the actual reverse bulb wiring not having enough power to fully run the camera just a thought, I have a camera on order and that's what I am going to try first, my HU will be pioneer avh 4300

jaycabral27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you tie into the reverse light the canbus system will shut down your reverse lights and camera will not work as it detects extra resistance on the circuit . So yes hook into the 7 pin trailer harness. I believe it's a purple wire.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

alfred.romero

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
I'm having the same problem with my camera. Did you eventually figure it out?

I installed two cameras last week (front and rear) with that rca/power wire combo. You need to connect the red wire to your red wires at the back of your aftermarket HU. Then that power wire runs the whole length of the RCA and needs to be spliced into the adapter of the camera. You'll need a good ground (tail light ground wire is what I used).

The ground really depends on your HU. I had a Boss navi at first and it was ok with a ground on the tail gate but when I went with Pioneer it didn't like that ground so after hours of troubleshooting I ended up moving the ground to the tail light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dale.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I did one not to long ago first thing make sure your RCA is plugged into your coaxial input in the back of the head unit not the video input. I did this whoops, then all you should have to do is tap into reverse and ground of trailer wiring leave the other wire that comes to the head unit alone that worked for me but then again your could be a little different

Sent from my Note 5 using Tapatalk

alfred.romero

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
So I did one not to long ago first thing make sure your RCA is plugged into your coaxial input in the back of the head unit not the video input. I did this whoops, then all you should have to do is tap into reverse and ground of trailer wiring leave the other wire that comes to the head unit alone that worked for me but then again your could be a little different

On the new Pioneers, the brown input is the rear view input and the yellow video input can be used as a front camera input. The settings has to be changed to dedicate that input as a front camera and will make it swappable on the fly when backing up and pulling in to tight spaces.

dale.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On the new Pioneers, the brown input is the rear view input and the yellow video input can be used as a front camera input. The settings has to be changed to dedicate that input as a front camera and will make it swappable on the fly when backing up and pulling in to tight spaces.

Correct that's the coaxial input for the rear cam some might get confused with video input

CUAviator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
So with an aftermarket backup camera - do I need to connect the orange wire (the one that coupled with the yellow RCA) to the reverse trigger wire on the harness and the reverse light?
Or if there is an RCA input behind the head unit, can i just plug it and play?