Backup camera recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

garner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So since I pretty much can't back up my truck in a parking lot without one, don't have any depth perception in this truck in my driveway(always looks close but over 2 feet away or get within a few inches or like today I hit the garage door), and got spoiled by the one in the R/T, I want to get one for this truck but don't want to spend $1100+labor on a factory one($300 for camera and $800 for 430 radio) and don't like the other mopar one with the screen in the mirror. Would rather get other mods with that money right now. Not looking to spend a lot on it(sub $150) since I plan on getting a factory one later on but not right now.

So wondering if anybody has an aftermarket one and what they recommend?

May also get backup sensors too, any recommendations on those?

Big Boi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The Peak can at Auto Zone looks decent. I myself will get a new Pioneer/Kenwood radio. And the OEM camera.

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Just get the sensor system. It allows you to focus visually on the surroundings of your truck, and use an alternate sense (hearing) to make sure you aren't missing anything.

Trupiano

Reaction score
Hometown : Puyallup,WA Stationed : Little Rock,
Ram Year
2010 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD Crew Cab
Engine
6.7L CTD
What I wanted to do, was get the auto tailgate lock actuator, so it locks and unlocks with the cabin doors. Then use the key hole in the tailgate handle for a backup camera. Two of my friends have done that, and they look great and the camera picture is excellent. I have a license plate camera, and I really don't like it all that much.

king99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought a Shark Back up cam ($35) on Amazon. Drilled a hole in factory location and wired it up to my lock pick. The thing that took the most time was crawling under the truck to secure the wires. All in all maybe 2 hours total. Picked up some sensors as well ($25), haven't installed yet but as long as your a DIY guy you should have no problem.

OP
OP
garner

garner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The Peak can at Auto Zone looks decent. I myself will get a new Pioneer/Kenwood radio. And the OEM camera.

Yeah I was thinking about that one especially since I've found it cheaper than what autozone wants. Have you seen the picture in person? And I would probably go that route too but I'm not a big fan of aftermarket radios in these trucks. Are you gonna have to do anything special to get the factory camera to work with an aftermarket radio?

Just get the sensor system. It allows you to focus visually on the surroundings of your truck, and use an alternate sense (hearing) to make sure you aren't missing anything.

Yeah I was thinking sensors since they're a lot cheaper. But I'm not sure how well they help with stuff like poles and trees that aren't solid all the way across the bumper like a house or another car is. Plus I can't tell where parking spot lines are with the way my mirrors are setup(all the way out to take away blind spots) so I want a camera so I can see the lines

What I wanted to do, was get the auto tailgate lock actuator, so it locks and unlocks with the cabin doors. Then use the key hole in the tailgate handle for a backup camera. Two of my friends have done that, and they look great and the camera picture is excellent. I have a license plate camera, and I really don't like it all that much.

Yeah I would probably drill the factory spot(on the other side of the handle from the lock) or order just the handle itself without the camera if I went that route. But what don't you like about the license plate camera?

I bought a Shark Back up cam ($35) on Amazon. Drilled a hole in factory location and wired it up to my lock pick. The thing that took the most time was crawling under the truck to secure the wires. All in all maybe 2 hours total. Picked up some sensors as well ($25), haven't installed yet but as long as your a DIY guy you should have no problem.

A shop would be doing the install. My mom doesn't trust me doing wiring on a new truck and I don't trust myself either. I don't have the factory touchscreen so I would have to buy a whole kit(camera and a separate screen), does your camera come with a full kit?

Nickxxxr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Buy a smart car. Lol jking

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

RYAN66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
just practice backing up more. seemed to help me a lot.

used to hate backing up, until i just spent time getting used to the truck and how it turns. Now it is rare if I dont back into a parking spot.

Big Boi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Yeah I was thinking about that one especially since I've found it cheaper than what autozone wants. Have you seen the picture in person? Yes. Its not bad, buts its not like its HD or anything.

And I would probably go that route too but I'm not a big fan of aftermarket radios in these trucks. Are you gonna have to do anything special to get the factory camera to work with an aftermarket radio? That Im not sure of. But the dealer would know.