Base-loaded AM / FM Antennas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hemissary

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Plenty available from 3" to ~15". Anyone installed one - and what was the performance results please.

TIA

Rupert

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 big horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got one from Antenna X , 7" very happy with it, I am still able to get all my local stations, however I live near Baltimore, MD so all stations are close. I also listen to XM a lot.

much improved look, and when I go threw the carwash, it doesn't get all hung up ad whipped around.

Last edited:

Ram Night

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can tell you that when dealing with base loaded ham antennas, the shorter base loaded ones do not have the performance a full size one has. All the base load does is add internal wire length so the radio is loaded into a tuned antenna according to the frequency being used.

OP
OP
H

Hemissary

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks, so far I found out - none are actually base-loaded! They are just various lengths and not even applicable multiples of the actual AM / FM wavelengths :^)

I found a 330mm (13in) base-loaded unit in my collection (MaxRad BMAX9155S; https://www.tessco.com/products/imagedisplay.jsp?itemID=14312 ) that can be tuned by cutting length. I'm machining a male / male adaptor to allow mounting (the OEM antenna is 1/4-20 male, the RadMax is female).