base system upgrade questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

b5rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Hi,
I have a 2016 1500 with the base system with the add-on navigation (not built in)
I added some Focal 6.5 components to the front and noticed they have NO low end, even when I turn the volume up as high as they can take.
I want to add a 4 channel amp to run the fronts and rears. I do not want any subs.
What is the best way to get a full range signal to the front and rear speakers?

I am Ok with adding an amp, if needed, but is there any product that will change the signal to full range using the stock HU's signal?

If you have any experience, please reply with brand and model number of electronics used.
Also, I am a cheap *******, so please try and suggest something reasonably priced.

Thanks

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Pac Audio LP6 should work fine for signal. Need to make sure your speakers are wired in Phase and mounted to a solid baffle with no leaks. From there the power should help improve the mid-bass. I would not expect to get any sub-bass from them though.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You may be the first person i heard put focal in and hoped to get good sound from the factory radio without an amp. Keep in mind your only giving those speakers about 5 watts of power at best.

Like stated you wont get low end bass out of the components even with an amp. IMO get a 4-channel. 2 channels to the front components and bridge the other 2 to a single 8 or 10 to help fill in. I have ran a setup like this for 15+ years. Use deck power to the rears.

OP
OP
B

b5rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
yeah, I was used to upgrading the speakers and having it make a noticeable difference.
I couldn't believe the cheap Kenwood 6x9 rears had deeper bass then my Focal fronts.

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
yeah, I was used to upgrading the speakers and having it make a noticeable difference.
I couldn't believe the cheap Kenwood 6x9 rears had deeper bass then my Focal fronts.

thats because a 6x9 makes a completely different sound.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

A few reasons.

#1 Cone Area.

#2 Kenwood's cheap speaker is designed to be just that - a cheap speaker to replace 15 year old crap speakers in a 97 Camry on a factory radio. Besides more cone area, they are designed to output more bass because if your buyign $30 speakers, your probably not doing anything else (like an amp or sub)

Focal builds speakers to be used correctly in well designed system. They do not target the cheap replacement market. Their drivers are designed to play a specific range very well and are optimized to powered with quality power. (Very rarely should a 6.5 be playing into sub-bass regions).

Simply put - if you plan on doing nothing else - cheap speakers are the better bet for you.

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1

A 6x9 has much more cone area than a 6.5" speaker. Like mentioned, I doubt you will get the midbass girth you had with the factory speakers.
I would NEVER advise someone adding components up front (replacing 6x9) without adding a subwoofer to the equation. If someone is not interested in adding a sub, replacing the 6x9's in front doors OR all four doors with a higher end 6x9 is usually the best path for exactly the reason you're stating....the 6x9's will retain and/or improve the midbass response which is what you're missing. A component set (6.5") makes everything sound very thin....
I say, add a sub (even a single 8") will restore and add that midbass girth and some nice subbass to the equation. It will fatten everything up nicely.....OR get 6x9's for all four doors. Adding an amp to your focals will not improve midbass too much....even running them full range (which I do not recommend) will not produce that lower end response you're missing....tough for a little 6.5" speaker to reproduce the low stuff.

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
A few reasons.

#1 Cone Area.

#2 Kenwood's cheap speaker is designed to be just that - a cheap speaker to replace 15 year old crap speakers in a 97 Camry on a factory radio. Besides more cone area, they are designed to output more bass because if your buyign $30 speakers, your probably not doing anything else (like an amp or sub)

Focal builds speakers to be used correctly in well designed system. They do not target the cheap replacement market. Their drivers are designed to play a specific range very well and are optimized to powered with quality power. (Very rarely should a 6.5 be playing into sub-bass regions).

Simply put - if you plan on doing nothing else - cheap speakers are the better bet for you.
I agree 100%

OP
OP
B

b5rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
A 6x9 has much more cone area than a 6.5" speaker. Like mentioned, I doubt you will get the midbass girth you had with the factory speakers.
I would NEVER advise someone adding components up front (replacing 6x9) without adding a subwoofer to the equation. If someone is not interested in adding a sub, replacing the 6x9's in front doors OR all four doors with a higher end 6x9 is usually the best path for exactly the reason you're stating....the 6x9's will retain and/or improve the midbass response which is what you're missing. A component set (6.5") makes everything sound very thin....
I say, add a sub (even a single 8") will restore and add that midbass girth and some nice subbass to the equation. It will fatten everything up nicely.....OR get 6x9's for all four doors. Adding an amp to your focals will not improve midbass too much....even running them full range (which I do not recommend) will not produce that lower end response you're missing....tough for a little 6.5" speaker to reproduce the low stuff.
Ok, you've convinced me. I'm now thinking of leaving the 3-way 6x9 in the rear on HU power, getting a 4-channel amp to run the front components and the sub.

Is there a single 8" sub box that fits in the smaller tray in the rear? I really use the under seat storage and I would hate to lose both sides.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I dont know if there are any 8" ones, but there are 10" and 12" ones. fox box, net audio.

Just make sure the box is the correct internal air space for the sub.

OP
OP
B

b5rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I dont know if there are any 8" ones, but there are 10" and 12" ones. fox box, net audio.

Just make sure the box is the correct internal air space for the sub.

Thanks, I'll start looking

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would just grab the Kicker or Alpine hide-away and call it a day. It will probably be sufficient for you and will not loose any space.

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
I would just grab the Kicker or Alpine hide-away and call it a day. It will probably be sufficient for you and will not loose any space.

I was thinking the same thing. Great option for him

OP
OP
B

b5rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
thanks, I'll check those out

OP
OP
B

b5rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I really like the Alpine hideaway powered sub. I also found a decent used 4 channel amp with RCA outputs which would go to the Alpine sub.
Quick question : if the amp has speaker - level inputs, would I still need the PAC converter?

OP
OP
B

b5rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I installed the LC6i to a Kenwood amplifier. This is running Focal 6.5 components in the front with the tweeters in the sails and some Kenwood 6x9s in the rear. The speakers were wired directly to the amplifier with 16g wire. It was a PITA to run the wires and set up the system and it still doesn't sound all that great. You have to sum the front and rear channels as the front signal is NOT full range. some songs sound echoed and others tinny. I'll look at the speaker phasing next. luckily, the LC6i allows for a third channel to be summed from the second just for a sub. That's the next thing on my list