bass adjustment knob question-which 1

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mhb1638

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So most know by now I'm going through some re-mod work on my stereo. Quick down and dirty: Factory OEM to Audio Control LCQ-1 to Kicker 5 channel amp to doors and JL Audio sub.

NOW....I bought two adjustment knobs and not sure which of the two is better. I have the Audio Control ACR as well as the Kicker CXARC. From what I gather, the AC unit adjusts the gain before it gets to the amp. The kicker adjusts the amp gain. Wouldn't it be best to use the Kicker knob over the AC unit since its at the amp? Having hard time seeing how adjust the LCQ-1 level before amplification would do much of anything.

Thoughts?

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
Either knob would just attenuate the bass of your set gain. I would probably choose the kicker one.

Damion

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The kicker one would have better results. The other could throw your amp into clipping by boosting the signal too much before it hits the amp. It would be like an overdrive guitar pedal in front of an amp.

Eestee70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I respectfully disagree with Damion. Your bass knob will not cause distortion....it will however magnify an already distorted signal. Once you get into adding numerous pieces it is very important to level match all of the pieces in your setup. mhb1638....go back to the other thread you started where I explain how to level match your system. Using that formula you will have a properly level matched system. (You can get a lot more precise but that takes test equipment)

Just make sure all EQ settings are set to flat before you start. You bass knob is used as a volume to add or remove bass for you listening taste.

Damion

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Unless said knob is at full output when the amp is level matched it will throw a clipped signal to your amp.

Most of these devices are in essence a line driver. Basically just boosting the signal that's fed into it. If your amp is level matched with your system and then throw an overdrive in front of it, the level matching now means squat.

I remember playing around with the audiocontrol epicentres and the Phoenix gold bass cubes back in the day, if you've used one of these you'll know what I'm talking about.

Reddzeppelin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would only use the kicker knob and your 5 channel amp should of came with one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I would only use the kicker knob and your 5 channel amp should of came with one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They don't come in them, its a CXARC, separate piece.