Battery Discussion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
What brand of battery do you prefer and how many years have you had one last? Do you prefer standard lead acid, silver alloy, AGM, AGM GEL?

I have been looking for new batteries for my boat and maybe even the Ram but have read mixed reviews on many different types. I realize there are really 3 main players in batteries Exide, East-Penn/ Deka, Johnson Controls, but there are minor differences between brands they market them as. I would like to hear some real world with any batteries truck, boat, car maybe even smaller equipment.

Captain McGillycutty

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
you are correct on that there are only 3 ppl in the world that make batteries. As an employeee at O'Reillys auto parts I have heard it all about batteries. All of the compines are really the same and the batteries are to. No battery is really better than anaother one. The thing that will change is the type of battery. lead, agm, agm gel, silver alloy. From experience and changing so many batteries lol the agm seem to go the best. Any agm batteery is going to last longer than a alloy or lead. They withstand vibration and everything that a optima battery calls for. Optimas are just a agm battery in a diff case that they sell at a higher price. Some are even lead batteries. Everything will die eventually so its really your call. I have seen lots of every brand of battery come back. autozone - duralast ,Napa - gold/silver, Optimas, Oreillys - Superstart I would recomend a oreillys agm battery though or any just agm battery. alsoo I have not seen a big diff in the gel ones v.s. the regular

OP
OP
smiley

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I have three optimas yellow top now and they suck they drain very fast even when just sitting I go out next day after charging up with agm charger and they are run down. I have had way better luck with silver alloy but have not seen any deep cycle with this chemistry. I will be going to big O to see what they have and their prices. Thanks.

$miley

adamwilkes14

Reaction score
I have a Duralast Gold in my truck...installed it right around Christmas of last year, along with a new alternator. So far so good.

Mad Cow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I had a Yellow Top in my last Ram and they don't make them like they use to. My best batteries have been Duralast Gold.

Captain McGillycutty

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
my best battery has been the factory lol. I never put one in my 07. It lasted from 06-11. I killed it many times with my stereo but always charged it back up

txbass06

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I've got a red top in mine now. The battery in my truck when I got it was crap. This optima has been in 4 trucks and lasted since 4/04.
But I probably wouldn't buy another one unless I actually needed it

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk