Best practice to add multiple aftermarket accessories

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Batman&Robin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
I have a 2012 ram 1500, and I am adding light bars and driving lights to it. As I add more items, the wiring under the hood is starting to look crazy. Is there better way than wiring everything straight to the battery directly? I am using relays of course.

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I have a 2012 ram 1500, and I am adding light bars and driving lights to it. As I add more items, the wiring under the hood is starting to look crazy. Is there better way than wiring everything straight to the battery directly? I am using relays of course.
Yes. A fuse block/distribution block.

Here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01GV78UP2/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They sell them in all different sizes, just make sure you get one with a cover.

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Is that fused to only ocme on when the truck in on, accessory mode, or always on and you just turn the switches off? I love that implementation!

It's direct from the battery with either 6 or 8AWG wire, (in my advanced age I can't recall which)... and distributed to the relays from that point. The relays are either triggered by switches, OEM circuits, or both.

Stuffed in a waterproof box to keep it dry.

OP
OP
B

Batman&Robin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
Ok dumb question. So each item that is attached to the block, spills to the individual relays? And some of the relays are powered by switching oem relays in the oem fuse panel?

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Not at the OEM fuse panel. If I wanted the relay to be triggered by an OEM circuit, say the fogs or high beams, I made pigtails where I could intercept that circuit. I could have used a simple tap, but didn't want to break into the sheathing of the truck wire loom especially on the exterior. I did tap inside the cab.

For example, one of the pigtails. This one is for the high beam triggered relays:

And a sample tap into the dash light circuit (for dimmable switches) behind the headlight switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk