Bought a pre fabbed box

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
caron11

caron11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I eventually would like to upgrade but im thinkin the box limits me pretty well to what i have so id just have a concerned id be overpowering with the kenwood and on another note how would i wire everything to 2 ohms would it just be direct to each speaker? Or is there more too it?

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Luxuryram10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I eventually would like to upgrade but im thinkin the box limits me pretty well to what i have so id just have a concerned id be overpowering with the kenwood and on another note how would i wire everything to 2 ohms would it just be direct to each speaker? Or is there more too it?

Direct from amp to one speaker terminal. Then a jumper going across to other terminal. Here's how you're going to wire them up and created a 2 ohm connection.

f4f531ec372c004ff9075ecfa3adfaee.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
caron11

caron11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Direct from amp to one speaker terminal. Then a jumper going across to other terminal. Here's how you're going to wire them up and created a 2 ohm connection.

f4f531ec372c004ff9075ecfa3adfaee.jpg

ac71e328d83e912587df89002c82d45d.jpg

Ahh k i was looking at this thinking i should have ot 2ohm right to the amp

OP
OP
caron11

caron11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
But i assume u can only run 1 sub stable at 2ohm to the amp if i were to use the jbl

Luxuryram10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
But i assume u can only run 1 sub stable at 2ohm to the amp if i were to use the jbl

With the setup I showed you wiring. Two 4 ohm subs together then running one set of wires to the amp creates a 2 ohm connection. Here's a little better one from crutchfield
0490f3b658d68bc85861f5602d37ea37.jpg

Luxuryram10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Your subs are 4 ohm which mean in parallel they are 2 ohm stable.

OP
OP
caron11

caron11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Heres what the guy running the shop just text me

They are the srx 10". 300 watt rms each and wired to a 2 ohm load so 600 watts at 2 ohm mono amp would be perfect

Luxuryram10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Heres what the guy running the shop just text me

They are the srx 10". 300 watt rms each and wired to a 2 ohm load so 600 watts at 2 ohm mono amp would be perfect

Sounds about right to me. But never crank the gain past about 80% after that you start getting into distortion and that's not good for the subs or amp. I would also invest in the PAC bass knob. Definitely a nice touch. I love mine.

Reactions: Kab
OP
OP
caron11

caron11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds about right to me. But never crank the gain past about 80% after that you start getting into distortion and that's not good for the subs or amp. I would also invest in the PAC bass knob. Definitely a nice touch. I love mine.

Actually the jbl came with one and couldnt agree more there awful handy especially now that i have a newborn around hopfullythis weekend i can get this project rollin only real thoughts im having is going to figure out witch wires to tap for the loc other than that everything else is planned out and ready to go

Luxuryram10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Actually the jbl came with one and couldnt agree more there awful handy especially now that i have a newborn around hopfullythis weekend i can get this project rollin only real thoughts im having is going to figure out witch wires to tap for the loc other than that everything else is planned out and ready to go

Sent from my LG-H812 using

I tied into the harness behind the radio. It's out of the way and if you ever upgrade radio also easy access to everything you need. There's a thread on here somewhere I believe that had the radio diagrams for each year 4th gen. I'd also run the remote from fuse box for the amp and leave some slack to get it all nice and tucked away. Hope I've been some sort of help to you. I'm trying to hold my own on this forum spread the knowledge i do have for the 25 years I've been on this world. I don't claim To know everything a lot Is self taught and YouTube. YouTube will be your best friend to try and figure out what wires you have to use for the loc and which ones can be cut away or taped off. Loc is very simple to hookup once you have found the selected wires that have to be used. Good luck with the install and happy bumping. Ha

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Interested to see this box. Most of the prefabbed I've seen require removing and cutting the carpet. I'm looking at a 12" single box. I'm doing it cheap tho lol. The airspace ln 95% of the prefabbed is way to low for most subs. .65-.75cuft.most subs require about 1 cuft sealed and more than that for ported.

How are u tapping into the stock radio?

I just ordered a LOC with gain knob. Thinking of tapping in behind the radio. Run the wires to my ancient Jensen 460w amp (230w rms at 4 ohm) into a very old bazooka 12" rated for 300w. And just let it eat. But worried about box size which is a bit small and depth of the sub.

Luxuryram10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Interested to see this box. Most of the prefabbed I've seen require removing and cutting the carpet. I'm looking at a 12" single box. I'm doing it cheap tho lol. The airspace ln 95% of the prefabbed is way to low for most subs. .65-.75cuft.most subs require about 1 cuft sealed and more than that for ported.

How are u tapping into the stock radio?

I just ordered a LOC with gain knob. Thinking of tapping in behind the radio. Run the wires to my ancient Jensen 460w amp (230w rms at 4 ohm) into a very old bazooka 12" rated for 300w. And just let it eat. But worried about box size which is a bit small and depth of the sub.

Yep that's what I had did before I actually bought a radio. There's a wiring diagram on the internet I'll try and dig to find it but very self explanatory how it is done. I used the t splices if I'm not mistaken i hooked up rear wires to the loc and snipped the rest. Don't quote me on this because I honestly cannot remember the last time I had the dash open that I looked at it. Pretty simple hardest part is figuring out which wires to splice into. And I absolutely love my gain knob.

And I have the bbox like he had ordered and my type rs love it. Hit pretty hard for the little amp that I have powering them. I would stay away from the 12 boxes the only ones I had been able to find were cheaply made and had horrible reviews. I'll step out and go grab a picture for ya. Very clean don't really even notice the box unless you have the seats up.

Here's some pics
f93bdb9c6a2068603a92181f446ab53e.jpg
c1edb2764d5416d58e4569e20a480762.jpg
e5f176b8309489b782ea8e3c69ab84eb.jpg

Only thing that needed to be done was the floor organizers had to be removed

OP
OP
caron11

caron11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yep that's what I had did before I actually bought a radio. There's a wiring diagram on the internet I'll try and dig to find it but very self explanatory how it is done. I used the t splices if I'm not mistaken i hooked up rear wires to the loc and snipped the rest. Don't quote me on this because I honestly cannot remember the last time I had the dash open that I looked at it. Pretty simple hardest part is figuring out which wires to splice into. And I absolutely love my gain knob.

And I have the bbox like he had ordered and my type rs love it. Hit pretty hard for the little amp that I have powering them. I would stay away from the 12 boxes the only ones I had been able to find were cheaply made and had horrible reviews. I'll step out and go grab a picture for ya. Very clean don't really even notice the box unless you have the seats up.

Here's some pics

Nice pics! You have your amp behind the seat? And for the loc i will be tapping into the radio harness. As for the 12" sub box i wanted 12's bad for a few reasons #1 being i have 2 brand new 12s with a matched amp all brand new just sitting around :s and all ive ever had before are 12's so it what i felt comfotable with. So i bugged the heck outta the shop to order me a box for 12's and they refused and wouldnt seem to give up so i said the heck with it ill try 10's. One of the main reasons the said not to go with 12's once again is air space also a couple of the boxes for 12's they had order and tried in the past had failed due to the wood being to thin or poor construction

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
The Netaudio enclosures for 12" subs are nice pieces, well made, and sound good when mated with the appropriate sub(s). There are thousands of sub manufacturers out there that are producing really nice 12" subs that require 1cu/ft or less...shopping for subs that are not main stream will help and will prob sound better if done correctly...oh and they'll be cheaper than all the mainstream stuff.
Not trying to argue, just letting you know 12" subs can be utilized in our Rams, and they'll sound really good too. I was running two Arc Audio BLACKS 12's in mine and it is beautiful sounding subwoofer
-food 4 thought

OP
OP
caron11

caron11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The Netaudio enclosures for 12" subs are nice pieces, well made, and sound good when mated with the appropriate sub(s). There are thousands of sub manufacturers out there that are producing really nice 12" subs that require 1cu/ft or less...shopping for subs that are not main stream will help and will prob sound better if done correctly...oh and they'll be cheaper than all the mainstream stuff.
Not trying to argue, just letting you know 12" subs can be utilized in our Rams, and they'll sound really good too. I was running two Arc Audio BLACKS 12's in mine and it is beautiful sounding subwoofer
-food 4 thought
Very good point did u need a seat lift for yours?

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque

Here's some pics

Looks good! I personally have both sides filled with stuff so I wanted to keep one available for straps, tow rope and tool organizer.

Well from what Im seeing in the box area... the 10's dont offer more space at all. Its the same box and just has a different hole size. The difference between 10 and 12 sub size the open space isn't enough to warrant the loss in sub size. I just found a nice pioneer 12" shallow sub that will work with the .5 - 1cuft sealed space. Just an added cost of the sub. But If I can do a single 12" vs dual 10s I would.

The 10 and 12 sized boxes are both made from the same 5/8" MDF. As long as its decent MDF and stapled and glued and sealed they should work comparable.

How are the organizers removed? I think mine are just open holes.

Luxuryram10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Looks good! I personally have both sides filled with stuff so I wanted to keep one available for straps, tow rope and tool organizer.

Well from what Im seeing in the box area... the 10's dont offer more space at all. Its the same box and just has a different hole size. The difference between 10 and 12 sub size the open space isn't enough to warrant the loss in sub size. I just found a nice pioneer 12" shallow sub that will work with the .5 - 1cuft sealed space. Just an added cost of the sub. But If I can do a single 12" vs dual 10s I would.

The 10 and 12 sized boxes are both made from the same 5/8" MDF. As long as its decent MDF and stapled and glued and sealed they should work comparable.

How are the organizers removed? I think mine are just open holes.

Organizers are easy to remove. They're bolted to the seat mounts. While you're removing those might as well do the rear seat mod. Kill two birds with one stone.

As for the box you probably have a better chance of finding a larger cu. ft. And the option of it being ported. Win win. Have bumps and storage. I miss my under seat storage. But I'm a bass head so I had to make that sacrifice lol. Theses Type rs are about the hardest hitting 10 I've heard without spending big money.

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Does anyone know if the rear speakers are full range? I thought I read that the fronts are full range with a crossover so the dash dont get the lows but the rears are not full range. I just want to know which are the best ones to tap into. I'm only looking for lows so its no big deal.

I'm also seeing alot of differences in install height limits of the boxes. Seems that the deeper the box (the more room for a deeper sub) would require mods to the inside sump area like cutting the carpet etc. One guy said you have to really push down on the box to get it down far enough. Im not touching my carpet no matter what so I want it to just slip in and I would gladly take the loss in internal space or sub depth for that reason.

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Organizers are easy to remove. They're bolted to the seat mounts. While you're removing those might as well do the rear seat mod. Kill two birds with one stone.

As for the box you probably have a better chance of finding a larger cu. ft. And the option of it being ported. Win win. Have bumps and storage. I miss my under seat storage. But I'm a bass head so I had to make that sacrifice lol. Theses Type rs are about the hardest hitting 10 I've heard without spending big money.

Whats the rear seat mod?

I'm going to have to open her up and see wats in there lol... too much crap under there.

I pulled the trigger on the box. $50, black carpet, 12" opening. Says .69 cuft. Sub i'm looking at is .5-1.0 cuft rated so it will be perfect. Just waiting for my dang ebay bucks to activate next month :). Should work out well.

Ive also confirmed that the fronts are full range so tap into those for the subs. The rear speakers have a high blocker installed factory and kills the highs. Thats annoying so my 4 way 6x9s aren't being used for much except mids and lows.