Brake light out indication?....help?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I hope someone can shed some light on this little issue I’m having. I bought a can-bus led bulb from superbrightleds.com to replace the incandescent 3rd brake light bulb. I like it. It seems pretty bright. I drove the truck all around Saturday and didn’t notice a “bulb out” indicator. This morning (10F temp, if that matters) I start the truck up and for about 3 seconds I get a brake light out indicator. Now, I’m assuming it has to be the supposedly can-bus led light bulb I put in on Saturday.

First, what I don’t understand is that it’s showing my right tail light out and not my 3rd brake light….does that make sense to anyone? Shouldn’t it indicate that my 3rd brake light is out or am I incorrectly assuming that the EVIC is that smart?
Second, is the “brake light out” indication supposed to stay on until I clear it or does it just come on for a few seconds than disappear?

riored4v

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm not sure of the second question, but when I first bought my truck I was receiving the brake light out error message. It also showed the right light on the EVIC screen but it was actually the 3rd brake light. Found that it was shattered inside of the housing.

OP
OP
Sir John

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I was curious and sent an email to Superbrightleds.com technical support about the can-bus led lights. For some reason, they replied back twice. Below are the two emails as direct quotes. I think it’s really weird that they say the Ram doesn't require the can-bus led lights…I think he’s completely wrong which puts into question everything he says. The two emails were a minute apart from each other.

“Hello Chade

So the fact that it is cold there has nothing to do with the bulb warning with the start up of the vehicle, first you don't need a can-bus bulb due to the make of your vehicle.
--
Kevin E.
Customer Service Representative
Call: 1-866-590-3533
Email: [email protected]

“Hello chade

the reason for that light out warning is that your system is still looking for more current draw, so your only option is to install a internal resistor which we do not carry or just go back to incandescents
--
Kevin E.
Customer Service Representative
Call: 1-866-590-3533
Email: [email protected]