A/C controls and lights won't work after stereo instillation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
I installed an aftermarket stereo,

There's your problem. Back track all you did and recheck the wiring. Either you have blown a fuse, left something disconnected and/or miss wired something.

No magic pill here as nobody can see exactly what you did. If you are not versed on electrical stuff, find somebody local that is and have them help you.

OP
OP
J

joshhlevi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There's your problem. Back track all you did and recheck the wiring. Either you have blown a fuse, left something disconnected and/or miss wired something.

No magic pill here as nobody can see exactly what you did. If you are not versed on electrical stuff, find somebody local that is and have them help you.

Thanks for the quick response! I would consider myself technically inclined, so I will unplug all connectors, check the pins, and make sure there is nothing blocking it, and plug the back in. If the outcome is not as expected, ill check the fuses associated with the area, and then take it to my local mechanic if all else fails! I just thought it was odd, seems like I wouldn't have to worry about plugging male connecters into their corresponding female counterparts!

** the aftermarket radio is not in at this time, What I did yesterday was plug in the aftermarket to ensure everything was working, then removed, and put the stock radio back in for the soldering and final wiring diagrams. So this problem is occurring with my stock radio installed

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
I wish I could be more specific but these newer vehicles the last 10 years or so are very picky when it come to wiring in stereos and what wires you are tapping into. They are no longer simple fused power to a switched ground much anymore without going through various modules that are controlled by CAN BUS type systems.

OP
OP
J

joshhlevi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wish I could be more specific but these newer vehicles the last 10 years or so are very picky when it come to wiring in stereos and what wires you are tapping into. They are no longer simple fused power to a switched ground much anymore without going through various modules that are controlled by CAN BUS type systems.

gotcha, thanks for the help! Was thinking it was something else, but it's a good idea to back track everything. The reason why I doubted the wiring was because I didn't splice, cut, or strip any factory wires yesterday, I bought a harness that plugged straight into the factory male connector, then the other harness went straight into the new head unit. I didn't guess the fuse because one knob still worked (the blower speed knob), and when I unplugged the A/C harness from the face plate, the blower tuned off so I was questionable. was thinking if you take out me trying out the new radio, all I did was unplug the stock stereo and wire harnesses, then plugged them back in haha

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
The thing is about some of those plug in aftermarket plug in harnesses, is that while they are universal per say across a few models, they may have their application uniqueness of some wires not being used or used differently.

Easy test is to just unplug the harness and see if everything else comes back. If not, you got something else disconnected or pinched maybe.

Martinadam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.2
I would suggest you check your fuses . Don't just look at them - either use a tester or replace them with known good ones. Fuses can be blown but still look good. The fuses to check are labeled TAIL LPS, PWR ACCY, GAUGES, and IP DIMMER. All are related to the instrument panel and/or taillights in various ways.