Camera Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Seth77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I did a ton of reading before posting this but still unsure of which camera to go with. I currently have a RB2 touchscreen in my 2010 Dodge Ram 1500. I'm looking at purchasing a MyGig Lockpick but unsure which camera to go with. Not that money isn't an issue but I would like a great camera and I do want it in the tailgate handle. Should I stay with the OEM or go after market? Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks a lot!

OP
OP
S

Seth77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Looking to see if there's any differences between factory and after market. Any help is appreciated. I'm hoping to order one this weekend. Thanks

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have no complaints with my cheap eBay 170° CCD camera, it seems to be at least as good as my buddies '12 factory camera. I also considered an Audiovox camera that a few guys on here went with. I probably would've bought the oem complete kit with handle and stuff for ease of installation, except for the fact I had already installed an automatic tailgate lock. And I didn't feel like switching that over to a new handle.

Here's one link, there's a few more on here.
http://www.ramforum.com/f51/just_installed_backup_camera-31164/

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Seth77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the help good to know! I already have a RB2 radio and I'm looking to purchase a lockpick and most likely a rostra camera kit wich includes:

Tailgate handle with camera pre-installed
1/4-inch CMOS color camera
.5 Lux sensitivity
150-degree peripheral view
Standard RCA video connections
Includes opening for factory lock
Waterproof case with anti-fog lens
Includes 30' extension harness

Do I need any other wiring harnesses or anything additional to make this work? Thanks a lot!!

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not familiar with that kit sorry, but looks like it should include everything you'd need. If I were going to drop that kind of coin though I'd just go oem. Btw it's real easy to modify your current handle (the mark for drilling is already there on the inside).

OP
OP
S

Seth77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If the oem handle kit comes with all the wiring, which wiring harnesses are needed to hook up to the lockpick if I just buy the camera?

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not sure man, I ended up getting an aftermarket headunit before I got the chance to install my Lockpick.
Any aftermarket camera with an rca should just plug into the Lockpick. I know I'm not much help here, lol.

OP
OP
S

Seth77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No man, I appreciate the info!

Ramzaq

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 CC 4X4 3.55 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did my 2009 and installed a Lockpick.

I purchased the kit with harness, handle and camera from Ebay (FCA dealer). Ran all the wires to the radio and Lockpick. If your radio is only using one connector the camera will go to the second unused connector which is supplied with the kit.

The Lockpick plugs between the truck connectors and the radio ( all signals go through the Lockpick) The Lockpick harness has several wires were you can connect the camera power to. No sales codes are needed.

The Lockpick will open up several other options to you that are unavailable from the dealer.

Last edited:

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
a camera is a camera. i have had many of the "cheap" ones before. the biggest difference is the moving lines in which no aftermarket cam will have.