Camera when tailgate is removed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K*A*B

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I see the kits and tailgate handles ,but can I get just the camera ?
I would like to have another camera to plug in when I remove the tailgate ..
To mount in the factory harness plug hole , ideally .. but a something to secure to the bumper would be ok as well , that plugs into the stock harness .
This is for a 2017 1500

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
yes, you can buy just the camera, check out Ebay as I see them all the time on there for sale. You'll also need the harness that run inside the tailgate that actually connects to the camera. The camera won't just plug into the harness on the truck side of the tailgate.

OP
OP
K

K*A*B

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thanks .. yes I figured I would need the harness also

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Do you already have a factory tailgate camera installed?

M² Mods - From my non Flammable S7!

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Might think about adding a cargo cam. I'd think that would work good as a back up cam when the tailgate is removed.....

OP
OP
K

K*A*B

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yes I currently have the tailgate cam.. I like the cargo cam also , but figured it was easier to find something to just plug into the tailgate harness

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks .. is the jumper harness a part that is inside the tailgate ? Or will the harness on the cam plug into the body harness?

I'm thinking you would need to use the short side of the second link along with the harness and camera in the first one. The camera harness plugs into the short section on the second harness I believe.

OP
OP
K

K*A*B

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I think you are correct .. also looks like maybe the coax converts to something ,to use the same plug

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L

Yes I currently have the tailgate cam.. I like the cargo cam also , but figured it was easier to find something to just plug into the tailgate harness

If you buy the OEM wiring and camera that stimpy linked you can retain full functionality and the active/turning gridlines. You can even strip out any unused wires (ie for the lock solenoid) and rewrapping and/or splicing the 2 harnesses together so it looks like one piece to eliminate the middle connector.

Not sure if you want the option to plug in an aftermarket camera if you only remove the tailgate occasionally, but we do have an adapter harness we can make to do so...http://www.ramforum.com/showthread.php?p=1601450

M² Mods - From my non Flammable S7!

ictdog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins Turbo
OK. I see the stock replacement camera and harness on EBay. Does anybody have a good location for mounting this?

I had to remove the stock tailgate due to a hydraulic lift I installed in the bed....but I miss the backup camera on my beast. And the cargo camera is blocked until I drop the lift due to mounting braces...any ideas?

I want to retain the parking bars like stock in my 14 2500 CCLB....

rT3Sf4vEYojDDhPS2

ictdog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins Turbo
Does anyone know if an aftermarket backup camera will plug into the stock connections for the Ram tailgate camera when the tailgate is removed and mount to the rear of the truck?

I really need some help on this....my cargo cam is useless also until I lower the lift mounted....ideas?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dyadeta