Camers issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I installed a pioneer 5800 in my 2500.....I love the radio EXCEPT the camera come on in reverse with the engine off. With the engine running, the camera does not come on unless I manually turn it on.....been driving me nuts for three week....

Any suggestions??

603photog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
We'll need more info to help you figure this out. How did you wire in the camera - be very specific, please. It sounds like you have it wired to a switchable circuit that is interrupted when the engine is on. Are you using the stock camera or an aftermarket one? If stock, I don't believe it's as simple as plug-and-play for the camera circuit when hooking up an aftermarket deck.

Walk us through your install and let's see what we can figure out.... :)

OP
OP
zogg

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm using an aftermarket camera with the pioneer display. I attached the radio camera trigger wire to the backup light wire.

I had a cheaper Sony radio installed before I bought the pioneer, and had it hooked up exactly the same way and the camera worked perfectly ..

If I manually access the camera with the engine running it works fine. It just doesn't come on when I put it in reverse with motor running. Everything else is perfect..

Again,Mitch the motor off and the key turned to accessory, the camera turns on when the shifter is placed in reverse....

Does this help.? Thanks for the response

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just to confirm:

The camera power and radio are both triggered by the reverse wire from your radio harness and not from the taillight?

Is the camera grounded?

OP
OP
zogg

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The camera trigger wire is powered by the taillight wire. The camera is powered by a 12 volt source separately.
The pioneer radio is powered by the factory harness

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Move your camera trigger wire to the same wire as the Pioneer radio, and ensure you have a good ground.

What camera do you have? I've installed a lot of cameras and have never seen one with a 12v constant and a reverse wire.

OP
OP
zogg

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Move your camera trigger wire to the same wire as the Pioneer radio, and ensure you have a good ground.

What camera do you have? I've installed a lot of cameras and have never seen one with a 12v constant and a reverse wire.

If I do that, won't that totally disable the facility for the camera to sense reverse?
I'm not sure what camera I have. It is one that bolts to the license plate. Cost about $25

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If I do that, won't that totally disable the facility for the camera to sense reverse?
I'm not sure what camera I have. It is one that bolts to the license plate. Cost about $25

The camera would turn on only when in reverse.