Can anyone help me with my 4th Order box? Need to verify measurements

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BadRam14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello All,

I am a noobie at building anything other then a typical slot ported or sealed sub enclosures. I am attempting to build a blow through box for my 2014 Ram 1500 quad cab. I am running 1 Skar ZVX-15v2 15" sub and want to do a 3:1 4th order blow through box. Skar said the sealed side should be 2.5cuft, ported area 4.5cuft and the port area should be 88 sq.in. He gave me sizes for a 2:1 box though. I have attached my measurements that I came up with from various calculators and the sizes include the sub, port and bracing. I have read that for a 4th order you should tune around 45hz. So that is what this is tuned for. I am also really unsure about the port size and length. Can anyone chime in and let me know what you think of what I have so far and if it will work worth a crap lol. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20170405_180311.jpg
    20170405_180311.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 53

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
ok here are my thoughts on this as I have been into car audio for a long time. I have zero problems with the blow through concept and it's your truck, do as you wish. With that said, I have a problem with 4th order enclosures and bandpass enclosures in general. Today, those two types of enclosures are for SPL...That's it. They have no real practical use for everyday systems of today. IMO, 4th order/bandpass enclosures are relics from a former era of car audio. They were popular 20 years ago when subwoofers were not nearly as efficient as subwoofers today. Especially when tuned high (45 hz is high) you're able to get high db levels in a very small frequency window. Generally speaking, they sound really bad, but people will be able to hear you from a mile away when playing one of the 4 songs that hit the right notes..not awesome IMO. Today, we honestly don't need to do as much magic to get GREAT spl. Sure, you will get slightly better spl numbers from 4th order/bandpass enclosures, but the HUGE loss of sound quality and frequency range just isn't worth it anymore....it just isn't. In my opinion....I'd build a blow through with a much lower tuned ported box (say...28-34hz tuned) or even a sealed box...(cause lets face it...if you ran a sealed box, all you'd have to do is roll a window down and there....you have a 4th order box with the cabin being your big side. With natural cabin gain, you really wont need the extra SPL the 4th order would provide...but with a ported or sealed...you will have a substage that can be very musical, very dynamic, even transparent, but when needed, you'll also have a substage that will hit with sheer authority with PLENTY of SPL...PLENTY. I've built many bandpass and 4th order boxes in my days....but like I said earlier...it really doesn't make sense anymore......of course, this is simply my opinion. Best of luck!!

OP
OP
B

BadRam14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
ok here are my thoughts on this as I have been into car audio for a long time. I have zero problems with the blow through concept and it's your truck, do as you wish. With that said, I have a problem with 4th order enclosures and bandpass enclosures in general. Today, those two types of enclosures are for SPL...That's it. They have no real practical use for everyday systems of today. IMO, 4th order/bandpass enclosures are relics from a former era of car audio. They were popular 20 years ago when subwoofers were not nearly as efficient as subwoofers today. Especially when tuned high (45 hz is high) you're able to get high db levels in a very small frequency window. Generally speaking, they sound really bad, but people will be able to hear you from a mile away when playing one of the 4 songs that hit the right notes..not awesome IMO. Today, we honestly don't need to do as much magic to get GREAT spl. Sure, you will get slightly better spl numbers from 4th order/bandpass enclosures, but the HUGE loss of sound quality and frequency range just isn't worth it anymore....it just isn't. In my opinion....I'd build a blow through with a much lower tuned ported box (say...28-34hz tuned) or even a sealed box...(cause lets face it...if you ran a sealed box, all you'd have to do is roll a window down and there....you have a 4th order box with the cabin being your big side. With natural cabin gain, you really wont need the extra SPL the 4th order would provide...but with a ported or sealed...you will have a substage that can be very musical, very dynamic, even transparent, but when needed, you'll also have a substage that will hit with sheer authority with PLENTY of SPL...PLENTY. I've built many bandpass and 4th order boxes in my days....but like I said earlier...it really doesn't make sense anymore......of course, this is simply my opinion. Best of luck!!

Thanks AutoKraft, This is exactly what I was looking for and you gave me a lot to think about. It has been a long time since I have really done anything this serious in one of my vehicles so I really don't have the knowledge on box building. With that being said, I have contacted Mark at Car audio fabrication to design a box that will get me SPL and be musical at the same time. Thanks again for sharing your knowledge/opinion.

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
Thanks AutoKraft, This is exactly what I was looking for and you gave me a lot to think about. It has been a long time since I have really done anything this serious in one of my vehicles so I really don't have the knowledge on box building. With that being said, I have contacted Mark at Car audio fabrication to design a box that will get me SPL and be musical at the same time. Thanks again for sharing your knowledge/opinion.

You're welcome pal, Iam more than confident you'll be able to have great sound quality, extreme flexability, SPL levels that will send ripples to near-by creeks & lakes, and a fun factor that makes me pretty darn jealous. Post pics when this s**t starts getting real!

OP
OP
B

BadRam14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You're welcome pal, Iam more than confident you'll be able to have great sound quality, extreme flexability, SPL levels that will send ripples to near-by creeks & lakes, and a fun factor that makes me pretty darn jealous. Post pics when this s**t starts getting real!

I will definitely post pics once I get started. I do have another question that I was hoping you could answer. For a blow through port. If the port needs to be 10" long, is that for what is going on the inside of the box or total length, even if the port is coming outside the box say 4"?

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
I will definitely post pics once I get started. I do have another question that I was hoping you could answer. For a blow through port. If the port needs to be 10" long, is that for what is going on the inside of the box or total length, even if the port is coming outside the box say 4"?

If your box calculator suggests a 10" port, that will be 10" inside the enclosure. You will obviously have an external port/tunnel to pass through bed wall & rear cab wall but that's more of a passage port to get sub bass into the cab.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If your box calculator suggests a 10" port, that will be 10" inside the enclosure. You will obviously have an external port/tunnel to pass through bed wall & rear cab wall but that's more of a passage port to get sub bass into the cab.

10" port length can be internal or external. If you need to use both, then that is fine but total length needs to be 10". If that 4" is part of the part port, then only have 6" of port length inside the box and make sure the 4" port is sealed up extremely well.

OP
OP
B

BadRam14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks guys for your help. I think I will start building the box this weekend and go from there. I am trying to finish up my kick panels that I have been building this last week or so.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
just dont forget to put the seam of the boot on the bottom and over lap the joint and use silicone to seal it.

OP
OP
B

BadRam14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
just dont forget to put the seam of the boot on the bottom and over lap the joint and use silicone to seal it.

I will definitely keep that in mind. Which reminds me that I should get the boot ordered very soon. Thanks for the reminder baum