cb install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frisk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just throwing out the idea that you may want to look at getting a Ham Radio (and licence) instead of a CB. Several real benefits -
1) Way greater range
2) Access to Repeaters
3) Many radios have a small detachable head unit that is easy to mount while the main body of the radio can be mounted out of sight.
4) Can be a little more civilized user experiance (not always)

Iggy4935

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a hand held HAM. I like CBs and HAMs but I'd still want to mount my CB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hemiluv

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummons 6.7 Turbo Charged
You guys are going to make me get back into the HAM stuff. I need to learn it and get my Op License Id love to have a Ham in my truck.

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I definitely recommend a Wilson 5000. by far best antenna I have used other than coiled custom built antennas for high power. ideally, the best mount would be to have it hard mounted to the roof but hey that looks tacky. regardless mounted as close to center mass as possible and preferably have the coil above the top of the truck.

next and most important in terms of the antenna is to tune it. get you an swr meter. a jumper coax and tune that sucker. that will make a WORLD of difference. then the only other crucial thing to do is good clean power and the best ground you can get.

as far as the Wilson, you can do a mag mount if you want....I don't like mag mounts...id rather have an elevated mount to get the coil over the cab and have it mounted to the bed however, center of the roof would provide the best ground plane and the best performance!

the 880 really can't do a whole lot but you could send it off to bells cb (only company id recommend) and he can peak and tune it for you. maybe set you up with a little 1 or 2 pill amp. thatd really get you reachin out there. but remember, doesn't matter how far you can touch if you cant hear them. its all a balancing act. but trust me....you will get addicted![/QUOTE

Seen some of the results of bellscb..Wasnt pretty...
Go on you tube and watch the vids of fine tune cb...Thats my go to guy...I live in eastern canada and send my stryker 955 to him for service,he is in los cruises nm...Actually just got another stryker 955 as a back up for my big rig and a 447hp2c for my pick up..Had him work on a new sirio mag mount i bought and sent to him for upgrades..

I bet with a stock 4 watt factory spec radio with a good mag mount set up you should be still able to see atleast 10 miles...Wouldnt bother with an amp..

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm going to be using the front stake holes on the bed. i going to be running a uniden bc880 with dual firestik antennas

Run 1 ant not two..They will be to close together and fight one another plus its more work to tune/match..

With quality lmr 240 coax and a good mag mount or mounted through the roof are the best options that will make settin your resonance/swr and way better range..

Attachments

• Antenna9pattern.jpg
    Antenna9pattern.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 64

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ground plane is not the same as electrical ground...Basically ground plane is the reflection of what an antenna sees of itself....
When you talk about grounding the exhaust n such is called bonding Bonding

As for power,depending on the radio and what it needs for amperage i would still go direct to battery with a fuseable link...If under 10 feet,no less than 10ga wire...
Also go hit youtube on tinning your connections..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYnykPCVXA0&t=7s

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here is my plan for the coax...Run it under the ctr console out back under the seat(looks better if you have a matt to cover the hump and coax to)then up and out the back window if you have a slideing one...
So my plan for the slideing window is to get a piece of sturdy plexy glass,drill a hole for the coax and use a grommet...Flex the plexi glass into the rear window track and ta daaaa...Thats also assumeing you useing a mag mount..

As for the power supply,im working on that myself but im guessing ill be down throught the top of the stereo area,out the firewall to battery..
My biggest problem is an actual mount useing existing holes..NOT and i repeat NOT drilling holes in the dah or console of my hemi..If it was a beater i would say heck with it but it still only has 7200 mi on it..
Dieing to spark up my stryker 447hpc2 and my sirio mag mount ant..

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
So my plan for the slideing window is to get a piece of sturdy plexy glass,drill a hole for the coax and use a grommet...

This is pretty much as tacky as this,
NOT and i repeat NOT drilling holes in the dah or console of my hemi.
you don't wanna put holes in the dash (which I don't blame you), but you're gonna put a piece of plexi glass in your back window? There are plenty more options than running it through the glass.

PS: You're not the same craigsez from TTR are you?

Edit: Nvm, just confirmed

Last edited:

Iggy4935

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So I installed my cb. I have a lil wil magnet antenna on the roof. I have noticed a harmonic wind noise from the antenna. It almost sounds digital the sound it makes. Also can't seem to find a decent spot to run the coax cable. Right now it's just running into the cab from the rear door. Not happy as when I washed my truck yesterday some water ran into the cab. So if I can't find a spot to run the cable I may just take the radio out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

92GreenYJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Took some pics of my install today for you guys.

Radio installed on the side of the console along with my air lift control and gauge. I can hear it just fine here and reach the squelch easily.

8E0384CA-AE8C-48D2-9C48-626F3B4CCF4A_zpsjeskobe6.jpg

And yes I need to vacuum.

For cable routing I went under the console from the radio to under the drivers seat where I passed it thru a wiring gap in the carpet, back along underneath the rear door sill and into the storage compartment under the back seat. There is a plastic grommet under the carpet for I suspect drainage. Cut a notch in that to feed the cable thru (all underneath the carpet/material lining the compartment so it's totally hidden) out under the body where I fed it up between the cab and the bed. Then I perofromed a little sacrilege and drilled a hole at the front of the bed where there is an overhang. Antenna is on a locking fold mount so I can fold it down in a few seconds for a parking garage or the like.

2C5B16AC-99D0-452A-9887-567FE1769ECC_zpsp0a8zs6b.jpg

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ant

I'm going to be using the front stake holes on the bed. i going to be running a uniden bc880 with dual firestik antennas

Useing two will make them to close together and will make one fight over the other performance wise....The only positive is a looks thing and sometime with two hooked up n running,one will help with the others ground plane issue..

Cons...
extra cost
more to figure out when there is an issue
more connections that maybe signal loss and as i said up above..

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ant

This is pretty much as tacky as this, you don't wanna put holes in the dash (which I don't blame you), but you're gonna put a piece of plexi glass in your back window? There are plenty more options than running it through the glass.

PS: You're not the same craigsez from TTR are you?

Edit: Nvm, just confirmed

My ant set up will be for temp use..Im not leavin a mag mount up there all the time cause then it attracts to must dirt n dues and may fade the color..So i wanted it so i could take it off or install at will..The plexi glass is used as a filler so i dont squat my coax....Ill post a few pics of my install tomorrow..

And as you already confirmed,Im not that craig you thought..

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Shady Hills, Rednecksville Boro, Florida.
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
CB newbie, although used it for many hours as a child in the early 80s.
Im going to get a cheap cb from Amazon, but unsure about all the other aerials on offer , i just know a tiny bit about mag mount aerials.
My truck has a bed cover so unsure what aerial go buy and also how to route the coax out from cab to aerial. I don't particularly want to drill the roof . I saw some images of those aerials that attach to fender or mirrors, but unsure if a good choice. Im sure my setup will be a compromise and i dont mind that.
Oh, and prefer a removable aerial if possible since i ride into garage. Cheers

Sent from my SM-T819Y using Tapatalk

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ant

NOOOOO dont bother with any set up other than a mag mount on the roof..Quick and simple.....A stryker mag mount..sirio mag mount..Two of the best ones out there ...An antenna make a huge diff...
not mine but just to show you what it looks like..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VUkrSdG1lI&t=57s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn-6-lpXjLo

just remember to take it off every so often and clean that area and re wax..It will pick up lostsa dirt over a short time,may even dis color that spot if you leave it to long..

Go study some stuff here..KØBG.COM

here is what roughly signal looks like in different mount positions..

Attachments

• Antenna9pattern.jpg
    Antenna9pattern.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
NOOOOO dont bother with any set up other than a mag mount on the roof..Quick and simple.....A stryker mag mount..sirio mag mount..Two of the best ones out there ...An antenna make a huge diff...
not mine but just to show you what it looks like..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VUkrSdG1lI&t=57s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn-6-lpXjLo

just remember to take it off every so often and clean that area and re wax..It will pick up lostsa dirt over a short time,may even dis color that spot if you leave it to long..

Go study some stuff here..KØBG.COM

here is what roughly signal looks like in different mount positions..

That Sirio one was pulled off easily on that video I saw, the eastern block fella with the purple Lada car.

Would putting the aerial on roof via door work on our ram trucks?

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So i ordered two items basically something to see me back in the fold drom when I was a kid using CB radios lol.
Ordered a uniden pro505xl and a tram 703 hc mag mount. Oh and a cigar plug. Ive a hidden spare socket and usb ports under console.

Any tips on how to route the antenna out to roof from either front or back door?
If all goes ok, i might change the antenna setup to something semi permanent. But issue is clearance since truck is garaged all the time when home.

dan1911

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So i ordered two items basically something to see me back in the fold drom when I was a kid using CB radios lol.
Ordered a uniden pro505xl and a tram 703 hc mag mount. Oh and a cigar plug. Ive a hidden spare socket and usb ports under console.

Any tips on how to route the antenna out to roof from either front or back door?
If all goes ok, i might change the antenna setup to something semi permanent. But issue is clearance since truck is garaged all the time when home.

Interested in this as well.
I went through the rear door of my old Sierra through the weather stripping and it was great. Using a Wilson mag mount and was fantastic, just looking on how to route the coax in.
Seen a few suggestions of going through the 3rd brake light but not sure how that would work since my coax is not open ended and has the CB plug on the end.
Where are you mounting your radio inside?

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Interested in this as well.
I went through the rear door of my old Sierra through the weather stripping and it was great. Using a Wilson mag mount and was fantastic, just looking on how to route the coax in.
Seen a few suggestions of going through the 3rd brake light but not sure how that would work since my coax is not open ended and has the CB plug on the end.
Where are you mounting your radio inside?
I dont really want to mess with the third brake light, its already a weak area in respect of water leaking in these and some other trucks.

Other concern I have is removal​ of mag mount, due to panel structure the roof is very soft in certain areas , I almost dented it when i did my first detail a couple years back. Planning on using some clear paint protection film under the mag mount to reduce scuffs etc and around where coax touches body.