cb install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dan1911

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I dont really want to mess with the third brake light, its already a weak area in respect of water leaking in these and some other trucks.

Other concern I have is removal​ of mag mount, due to panel structure the roof is very soft in certain areas , I almost dented it when i did my first detail a couple years back. Planning on using some clear paint protection film under the mag mount to reduce scuffs etc and around where coax touches body.

Sent from my SM-T819Y using Tapatalk

I share your concern about the 3rd brake light and leakage for sure!
I am installing my cb when my buddy comes to town next week so I have been scrounging for ideas.

I have also seen some fellas who do tool box or bed rail mounts that have the coax drop between the cab and bed, and then enter the cab through a rubber plug from what i can tell is behind the rear seat under the carpet (which you would run under the carpet and up into the dash). I have not physically gone to check to see if it is feasible, but seems like a solid option. My GMC was old and had many gaps to fit a coax through, these new trucks have tighter tolerances and finding it more difficult to find a cab entry point :superhack: lol

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
So I'm an Amateur Radio Operator and this is what I'm going to do.

6d77ab14059af69f021442cf39fb4edb.jpg

Also for the antenna check out Comet or Diamond antenna companies they have some vehicle specific things for the fenders that are designed to work with our trucks.

I am going to mount mine a specific way as the bands I will use require a bit more of a ground plane for the antenna than a fender mount. I don't think you guys are keen on drilling holes in your roof.

Check out Breedlove amounts. He can make pretty much whatever you can dream up.

https://www.breedlovemounts.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Shady Hills, Rednecksville Boro, Florida.
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I share your concern about the 3rd brake light and leakage for sure!
I am installing my cb when my buddy comes to town next week so I have been scrounging for ideas.

I have also seen some fellas who do tool box or bed rail mounts that have the coax drop between the cab and bed, and then enter the cab through a rubber plug from what i can tell is behind the rear seat under the carpet (which you would run under the carpet and up into the dash). I have not physically gone to check to see if it is feasible, but seems like a solid option. My GMC was old and had many gaps to fit a coax through, these new trucks have tighter tolerances and finding it more difficult to find a cab entry point :superhack: lol
Yeah, funny you mention the area under the back seat. I noticed a few grommet plugs when I removed the rear 60/40 bench when I was installing my rear seat covers recently. On the same token I was also trying to route a thing USB power cable to a dash cam I was installing on the rear window. That damn carpet was hard to lift up, the one on center hump in back seat area. In the end I routed it in another way.
Issue I have is that I have a bed cover so don't think I can use the rails or bed itself. But routing the coax out from under back seat cab to roof might work ?

Sent from my FRD-L04 using Tapatalk

dan1911

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
While Google i came across the following post. The inspiration about routing the cable coax around the back window seal then under cab and inside per his pics.

2014 RAM 2500 CB Installation complete - DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums

That is an excellent find! PROPS!

Good to know where the plug is under the carpet so i dont go about tearing the whole damn thing up.
How do you suppose he got the coax behind the weather stripping without causing damage and having it lay flat again? Super clean install for sure

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That is an excellent find! PROPS!

Good to know where the plug is under the carpet so i dont go about tearing the whole damn thing up.
How do you suppose he got the coax behind the weather stripping without causing damage and having it lay flat again? Super clean install for sure
You mean the weather stripping around edge of back glass? Im thinking he press fitted it in there.

Unsure how the Velcro parts are applied and work though, from pics it just looks like pieces of Velcro wrapped around coax.

Dumb question, the coax plug. Best to remove it first before routing coax dont you think, thinking smaller holes in grommets to fill later.

Id also like to know where the support bars / braces are spaced on roof. As i feel putting the mag mount on that and not just the roof skin would be better?

dan1911

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You mean the weather stripping around edge of back glass? Im thinking he press fitted it in there.

Unsure how the Velcro parts are applied and work though, from pics it just looks like pieces of Velcro wrapped around coax.

Dumb question, the coax plug. Best to remove it first before routing coax dont you think, thinking smaller holes in grommets to fill later.

Ya looks like he just took some adhesive backed velcro circles and wrapped them. Im gonna go to Radioshack and get some of those adhesive backed cable holders like the ones below and use those instead. Seem slightly more permanent and up in AK ill need something that will continue to hold in the -45F and snowy conditions.

And I would think that removing the coax plug would be the best bet for sure. I have the Wilson mag mount and not 100% how or if i can remove the coax plug

Attachments

• R251B-500x500.jpg
    R251B-500x500.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 25

dan1911

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Id also like to know where the support bars / braces are spaced on roof. As i feel putting the mag mount on that and not just the roof skin would be better?

And ya I have no idea where the roof braces are located to be honest. On my GMC I just slapped the thing on there and never really worried about but maybe I should have haha.
Probably would be better to get it closer to the 3rd brake light since it'll be closer to a mounted area of the roof skin, rather than dead center where the sheet metal will be all floppy (but this will sacrifice a bit of range I'm sure, but for my purposes it will be nominal)

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
*****​ didn't go to well. Just glad I didn't spend the time routing coax and hardwiring it.
Basically couldn't get decent swr on channel 1 or 40. Forgot which way , but one figure was in red zone over swr 3.0 and the the other was 2.5 . Didn't change at all no matter what adjustments I made to antenna.

So I'll guess I'll start with returning the tram center mounted antenna. That thing was a little bent out of the box.

dan1911

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
*****​ didn't go to well. Just glad I didn't spend the time routing coax and hardwiring it.
Basically couldn't get decent swr on channel 1 or 40. Forgot which way , but one figure was in red zone over swr 3.0 and the the other was 2.5 . Didn't change at all no matter what adjustments I made to antenna.

So I'll guess I'll start with returning the tram center mounted antenna. That thing was a little bent out of the box.

Have you tried trimming the whip? I think you are supposed to cut 1/4 inch off, test, move around in the mount to get closer, and cut again if ABSOLUTELY necessary. I had to cut about a half inch off my whip to get a good SWR on my Sierra

Sent via telepathy

dan1911

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Also, I HAD to go to a wide open and unobstructed area with no electronic interference in order to properly tune my radio. In town, no way I was gonna get accurate readings. Mostly, getting out of range of radio stations lol

Sent via telepathy

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have you tried trimming the whip? I think you are supposed to cut 1/4 inch off, test, move around in the mount to get closer, and cut again if ABSOLUTELY necessary. I had to cut about a half inch off my whip to get a good SWR on my Sierra

Sent via telepathy
Yeah, I increased the height and reduced height via the hex height adjustment on the whip.

dan1911

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, I increased the height and reduced height via the hex height adjustment on the whip.

I noticed that where I ran my coax made a difference in signal. Without pushing into the weather stripping, did you get you coax pretty darn close to how you would normally run it? And assuming that you were as far from any building, power lines, etc. (for me, I was at least 20-25 miles)

Sent via telepathy

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I noticed that where I ran my coax made a difference in signal. Without pushing into the weather stripping, did you get you coax pretty darn close to how you would normally run it? And assuming that you were as far from any building, power lines, etc. (for me, I was at least 20-25 miles)

Sent via telepathy
Cheers for the help, but ive already ordered another antenna . I couldnt find a middle ground and bought a wilson 1000 magmount. The $40 tram seemed good forgot the model but the whip wasnt removable easily.

Id placed the el cheapo tram that im sending back in the centre back of truck roof, id layed the coax around the back third brake light slightly then in between back window seal and up on top of the black roof line trim then down the B piller area and closes on back door on quad cab.

No power lines present but a few small trees and parked cars. Its difficult​ to find open space without driving some mileage. Do you think thr swr being in red zone would have been drastically reduced by being somewhere else?

Last edited:

dan1911

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Cheers for the help, but ive already ordered another antenna . I couldnt find a middle ground and bought a wilson 1000 magmount. The $40 tram seemed good forgot the model but the whip wasnt removable easily.

Id placed the el cheapo tram that im sending back in the centre back of truck roof, id layed the coax around the back third brake light slightly then in between back window seal and up on top of the black roof line trim then down the B piller area and closes on back door on quad cab.

No power lines present but a few small trees and parked cars. Its difficult​ to find open space without driving some mileage. Do you think thr swr being in red zone would have been drastically reduced by being somewhere else?

In my case, absolutely. I drove quite a while to get away from all that interference. When I did my tuning, I turned the truck off, all cell phones were off and away, and made sure there was zero cars or buildings or anything that has the potential to have any electronics or get in the way of the signal. Keep in mind, i am in Alaska so it's easier to get away from people. The less interferences you have the better, and not by a little bit either. I have the Wilson mini or whatever it's called and got it tuned to hit some crazy distances.

Not sure if the difference would be drastic in your case specifically, but when I first measured my swr at a friends house I could get channel 1 spot on but 40 was red. As soon as I drove out, channel 40 dropped significantly and then I got to trimming the whip

Sent via telepathy

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In my case, absolutely. I drove quite a while to get away from all that interference. When I did my tuning, I turned the truck off, all cell phones were off and away, and made sure there was zero cars or buildings or anything that has the potential to have any electronics or get in the way of the signal. Keep in mind, i am in Alaska so it's easier to get away from people. The less interferences you have the better, and not by a little bit either. I have the Wilson mini or whatever it's called and got it tuned to hit some crazy distances.

Not sure if the difference would be drastic in your case specifically, but when I first measured my swr at a friends house I could get channel 1 spot on but 40 was red. As soon as I drove out, channel 40 dropped significantly and then I got to trimming the whip

Sent via telepathy
Ill try again when the new antenna arrives Wednesday. Cant believe i spent that much on an aerial lol. Considering the cb was 28$. Lol

RamFam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm wanting to put a cb in my truck too. I have a Uniden PC-122 and a Cobra 25 LTD that I have had for years, but not used in a long time. Any suggestions on which one I should install?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

dan1911

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm wanting to put a cb in my truck too. I have a Uniden PC-122 and a Cobra 25 LTD that I have had for years, but not used in a long time. Any suggestions on which one I should install?

Does the Cobra 25 have a Squelch dial? I am relatively familiar with the Uniden (very solid, very small and convenient) so it would be a solid option.
Depending on your needs, either would be fine. That Cobra unit is HUGE in comparison though, for me I would go smaller since it'll be easier to mount etc.

Sent via telepathy

RamFam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's kind of what I was thinking. Plus if I remember correctly, I think the Uniden has been tuned up.

dan1911

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's kind of what I was thinking. Plus if I remember correctly, I think the Uniden has been tuned up.

Even better! Hook up the Uniden, and if you find yourself totally hating it it is an easy swap to just unplug and remount the Cobra.
Highly doubt you will be upset with the Uniden but you have some options which is nice.
I just found out my coax plug is NOT removable, it will make my install really f-ing difficult to route a cable with a big ass plug on the end. :superhack: