cb install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ram Night

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just run the power wire from the CB directly to the battery. And do not worry about the linear amplifier as it will not do much for you, and they are not legal, unless you are a ham radio operator. But if you must have it, run the wires directly to the battery terminals and you will be all set.

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
mod??

Ive been reading your posts on a couple of radio forums with interest, nice. Worlddx and radios reference forgot.?

Some good stuff I'm learning from you, cheers.

Ordered a Stryker 955 should be coming tomorrow . After i check it out for defects or issues ill do the resistor mod using a 15w solder iron and tweezers, wish me luck hahaha[emoji24]

Sent from my SM-T819Y using Tapatalk

What mod is that..Dont do it just yet...Most of that stuff is over volting the finals and does not do well for the redios..HOLD THE EFF ON!!!!!

With "ANY" new radio i would have it tested to be aligned and on freq ect.."CAREFUL" who you send the radio to cause most out there who call themselves techs dont have the proper gear to set them up or know enough about surface boards type radios..

Here is my 2cts worth.......Use what you have for now but send your 955 to mark sherman of fine tune cb..He is out in las crusis nm....He is on fb as his name above..My ant suggestion would be sirio 5000 WITH his lmr 240 coax mod and his water penetration fixes....Your radio will have to be set up for 10m/11m band as well....OH and ask him to tune with a ranger sra198 mic...Cheap noise cancelling and awsome sounding mic..

I wouldnt bother with an amp,with that set up i mentioned and marks work you should get 30 on am and almost world wide on sideband when skip is good..

If your radio has been looked at by a tech and all he has is a power meter and tells you its blastin out with a boatload of power(more than 80 watts tops)i wouldnt even turn it on....

Most just turn screws,spread coils and do all kinds of funky crap they learned online that doesnt do the radio any good at all....

Just go watch some of the vids on youtube by fine tune cb ..I have 3 strykers and i wouldnt let ANYONE else touchem..

As for the linear mentioned above by someone,he is correct in sayin its not legal but as long as your not being a dik (swaering,causeing a ton of assholery ect)you would be fine...Fcc will not be lookin for you at all..

Last edited:

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Fogot this till someone else mentioned it on truckers report..If your told by a tech that your radio does (lets just say)15 watts more than his 955 cause of his tune...He is full of bs..Only time a few watts will make any difference if its still transmitting chrystal clear(another issue again with how many watts it pushes)is in a really close area..
just for an idea of what difference in wattage does..
Sound studies tell us time and again that a 3dBA increase in sound level is barely noticeable to the human ear. In fact, you have to raise a sound level by 5dBA before most listeners report a noticeable or significant change. Further, it takes a 10dBA increase before the average listener hears “double the sound.” That’s a far cry from 3dB.

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Shady Hills, Rednecksville Boro, Florida.
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah , cb shop Mark, watched a lot of his videos, good feedback. I like his attitude, he tunes for quality. My kinda a guy, plus he vapes

I jacked it in , got a 2970N4 now lolz

I think i prefer cb stuff to be in the home than truck.

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AAAAWWWWWWW...An n4.....Nice....Almost got one of marks 955xxx but was a bit $$ and actually is the bottom of an n4 on the body of a 955....I had to hammer out my ant issues on my rig 1st....
The n4 is a nice 400 clean watts depending who works on it..

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
AAAAWWWWWWW...An n4.....Nice....Almost got one of marks 955xxx but was a bit $$ and actually is the bottom of an n4 on the body of a 955....I had to hammer out my ant issues on my rig 1st....
The n4 is a nice 400 clean watts depending who works on it..
I wont be running it wide open , figured if i can get stock max power from the N2 model clean out of the N4 without pushing it hard then I'd be happy.

Wish my truck had the jump seat instead of center console , I'm thinking jump seat makes for an easier cb rig install?

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
antenna

That's not a bad idea just big and bulky in my honest opinion. I would look at mounting it in the space directly in front of the gear shifter. In that cubby on a 45 would be perfect. Run the wires out the bottom and exit near your foot. Most cbs can have the mic out socket changed to the side of the box easily.

The dual fire sticks are ok but you plan on tuning them separately or just doing it for looks? I prefer a single antenna with a proper groundolane grounded to the frame, ground the exhaust system, body, whole nine yards. I could always get s much better signal with single over doubles.

For power you can tap the lighter if you don't care at all about sound quality or signal output but I'd highly recommend going with a relay setup directly to the battery. Switched power will have much less rf noise and give the internals much cleaner power. What are you actually going to do with this thing and how far are you trying to reach?

Now for ham bands it's much easier. Much smaller antenna.

Groundplane is "NOT" a wire runnin from ant to chassie.....Thats just basically adding ant length and a way for rf to affect incomming signal..

Ground plane is basically the metal reflective surface "UNDER" the antenna...With an ant it needs to see a reflection/mirror image of itself to work correctly..So unless your doin a dipole it needs a reflective surface which is the metal under your ant...
Fender mounts,bumper mounts an all that just make things difficult..So other than drilling a hole in your roof to mount an ant full time the next best thing is a mag mount..

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
n4

I wont be running it wide open , figured if i can get stock max power from the N2 model clean out of the N4 without pushing it hard then I'd be happy.

Wish my truck had the jump seat instead of center console , I'm thinking jump seat makes for an easier cb rig install?

I would have it tweeked by mark sherman of fine tune cb out in las crusis nm...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULtaZoyPSto

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjdgGUI3D6w&t=2s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpE3E65-Lug

Many shop will tell ya they get more power but it will stress the radio and produce dirty signal....Subscribe to this guys channel and just watch n learn..DONT let a guy show you watts on a meter and say it maken power...

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would have it tweeked by mark sherman of fine tune cb out in las crusis nm...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULtaZoyPSto

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjdgGUI3D6w&t=2s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpE3E65-Lug

Many shop will tell ya they get more power but it will stress the radio and produce dirty signal....Subscribe to this guys channel and just watch n learn..DONT let a guy show you watts on a meter and say it maken power...
Yeah i know of him, Hardrive. I also am a firm believer in quality over quantity.

On a side note, even at half power ( RF dial ) halfway the display slightly dims. Man, I thought the 180A of the Ram could handle it with the 8 guags directly to battery posts.

Last edited:

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
radio info

Ya know what,my freightliner highway truck powers my 955 tuned bu mark..Not 100% sure but i think that it dims my radio lights a smidge at full power..Thats hooked up to a junction box on my firewall with some 8ga and the rest factory 10 ga..
Might have to run one of them capacitors like car stereo guys use but for radios..
Thats a question for guys who know more than me...Join truckers report and go into the cb forums section and pose the question..Ask or look for a fella bored silly or rabbiporkchop,tellem i suggested you ask..Mark might tell you if you facebook im him a msg..

Just looked up the amp draw of the n4..40Amps dude..They have cooling fans to right??

Not sure if it would help goin to 6 ga cause i looked on bells cb site and it comes 8ga...

Attachments

• wire_guage_chart.jpg
    wire_guage_chart.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member