Center console sub?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

that white kid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Has anyone on here got rid of the middle front seat and put a sub built into the center console

Corbin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Has anyone on here got rid of the middle front seat and put a sub built into the center console

I did on a ford once. Two 12" subs, fiberglass/MDF box and had it sprayed with line-x. Even installed cup holders....
-BBE1-4109-9290-C62605BB29AF-4940-000007E8BAE9B9B0.jpg

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
I've done many. Everything from four 8's to two 10's, two 12's, and a single 15 as well
My favorites were the four 8's, and probably the single Image Dynamics IDQ 15.... Amazing!

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
i had a center console sub on my 05. I'm sure it would be easy on a 4th gen as well

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I did one on my '99 Ram. It was ugly but effective.
My dog likes the extra room of the center arm rest up, so I went with a behind the seat box this time.

atticusfaul

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have one in my 05 and still have the center seat as well.

OP
OP
T

that white kid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
does anyone have any ideas on how to do it for a 12in L7 im willing to get rid of the middle seat because i plan on getting the piece that goes inbetween the front seats and putting the 2500 trays in it instead of the shifter and keep the column shifter and i dont know how to go at it just yet

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm sure with some work you could get an L7 in there.
I have a 10" L7 and that ******* is HUGE!

That being said, I'm sure you could have it fire backwards (towards the cab wall) or similar w/o an extensive amount of effort.

OP
OP
T

that white kid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I'm sure with some work you could get an L7 in there.
I have a 10" L7 and that ******* is HUGE!

That being said, I'm sure you could have it fire backwards (towards the cab wall) or similar w/o an extensive amount of effort.
I already have 2 10in L7 under my seat but i like alot of boom

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
So you want to run two 10's under the seat (which you have) then run another sub in the center console of a different size?
You won't be happy with that...cancelation issues, research it

bendirkss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What does the 2011 ram come stock with? It kinda feels like there's already a sub

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
So you want to run two 10's under the seat (which you have) then run another sub in the center console of a different size?
You won't be happy with that...cancelation issues, research it

Wont be much of a cancellation, that woudl be more where one sub takes away energy of another. Having say 10's under seat, and an 8" up front in a center console for midbass would be fine IMHO.

OP
OP
T

that white kid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I just feel like they dont hit the low notes very well and i was just thinking of getting a bigger one that i know will hit low

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
Wont be much of a cancellation, that woudl be more where one sub takes away energy of another. Having say 10's under seat, and an 8" up front in a center console for midbass would be fine IMHO.

IF he was running an 8" for midbass up front, he'd be fine because he would have different crossover points....but that's not what Iam getting from his post. The problem will occur when he's crossing these different sized subs with the same crossover points. Also, not knowing his slope at what decibles will cause a problem with giving him advice. Ultimately he's looking for his subbass to play better at lower frequencies which is always a problem with these under the seat enclosures.
OP, you'd be better off building a center console enclosure for whatever sub(s) you want and tune the enclosure to 30-32hrtz. Forget about running two diff enclosures....you won't be happy. This has been covered many many times in car audio....it's simply not an intelligent way to get lower frequencies to play louder, richer, smoother whatever the case may be.
I would rip those 10's out from under the seat,
build a sweet enclosure tuned properly for the center console, and be done with it....you'll never go back to an under the rear seat pre-made enclosure again....I can promise you that!

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
IF he was running an 8" for midbass up front, he'd be fine because he would have different crossover points....but that's not what Iam getting from his post. The problem will occur when he's crossing these different sized subs with the same crossover points. Also, not knowing his slope at what decibles will cause a problem with giving him advice. Ultimately he's looking for his subbass to play better at lower frequencies which is always a problem with these under the seat enclosures.
OP, you'd be better off building a center console enclosure for whatever sub(s) you want and tune the enclosure to 30-32hrtz. Forget about running two diff enclosures....you won't be happy. This has been covered many many times in car audio....it's simply not an intelligent way to get lower frequencies to play louder, richer, smoother whatever the case may be.
I would rip those 10's out from under the seat,
build a sweet enclosure tuned properly for the center console, and be done with it....you'll never go back to an under the rear seat pre-made enclosure again....I can promise you that!

Well if two tens are under the rear seat, and assuming the center console is up front, which they are, a midbass 8" is exactly what I was referring too as a midbass. If the 8" is in a sealed enclosure, it wont have a peaky frequency around the port tuning. Why not run the midbass form 50hz and up to say 350?
The problem isnt really different size woofers, it's lack of airpsace to properly get maximum low bass extention under the seat. Why most audio manfactures make a slim mount sub, to help gain back some lost depth and or space limitations.
The problem with the OP's setup is just lack of airspace for the sub he's using. While we say they will work in a .66 sealed, they really shine in larger ( 1.75 per) or small ported, 1.25 to 2.75 and you'll see huge gains. But stuffing them under a small seat, you wont get the low bass he's looking for.

For the driver, sure maybe putting a sub (sealed or ported) in the center console will work, it will sound terrible to the passengers in the rear as the bass will be in front of them, and loose all the staging.
Op can do whatever, just offering advise from our products mentioned.

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
Well if two tens are under the rear seat, and assuming the center console is up front, which they are, a midbass 8" is exactly what I was referring too as a midbass. If the 8" is in a sealed enclosure, it wont have a peaky frequency around the port tuning. Why not run the midbass form 50hz and up to say 350?
The problem isnt really different size woofers, it's lack of airpsace to properly get maximum low bass extention under the seat. Why most audio manfactures make a slim mount sub, to help gain back some lost depth and or space limitations.
The problem with the OP's setup is just lack of airspace for the sub he's using. While we say they will work in a .66 sealed, they really shine in larger ( 1.75 per) or small ported, 1.25 to 2.75 and you'll see huge gains. But stuffing them under a small seat, you wont get the low bass he's looking for.

For the driver, sure maybe putting a sub (sealed or ported) in the center console will work, it will sound terrible to the passengers in the rear as the bass will be in front of them, and loose all the staging.
Op can do whatever, just offering advise from our products mentioned.

I am agreeing with you when it comes to an 8 being a midbass up front, but the OP is not looking for a midbass ran up to 350hrtz. He's wanting his subbass to perform better from 50hrtz and below. And you are correct, the problem is lack of airspace. That is why I told him to ditch the enclosure he has and build a center console enclosure where he can tune the box to perform better with lower frequencies which in turn will improve output and overall sq. How will a center console enclosure sound terrible to the people in the rear seat area? Do you actually think the bass in a sound stage should be behind you?? What kind of concerts have you been to where the drummer is at the back of the area? Or a bass player? A sound quality goal is to get as much bass up in front of you as possible....it's a sound stage!!!! And why are we focusing on what the people in the back will experience? Hell, my truck is time aligned to where everything is focused on the driver's seat...I could care less what the passengers think, let along my passenger sitting next to me! Are you in the industry? Are you trying to help the OP or sell stuff?

A fellow SQ competitor has one 12" JBL MKII in a vented center console enclosure. His truck sounds beautiful with a lot of fun factor. Just for giggles (as he is solely an sq guy) we metered his truck and he hit 155 db's from 750 watts. That's pretty damn loud and can be obtained from the OP if he chooses.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I am agreeing with you when it comes to an 8 being a midbass up front, but the OP is not looking for a midbass ran up to 350hrtz. He's wanting his subbass to perform better from 50hrtz and below. And you are correct, the problem is lack of airspace. That is why I told him to ditch the enclosure he has and build a center console enclosure where he can tune the box to perform better with lower frequencies which in turn will improve output and overall sq. How will a center console enclosure sound terrible to the people in the rear seat area? Do you actually think the bass in a sound stage should be behind you?? What kind of concerts have you been to where the drummer is at the back of the area? Or a bass player? A sound quality goal is to get as much bass up in front of you as possible....it's a sound stage!!!! And why are we focusing on what the people in the back will experience? Hell, my truck is time aligned to where everything is focused on the driver's seat...I could care less what the passengers think, let along my passenger sitting next to me! Are you in the industry? Are you trying to help the OP or sell stuff?

A fellow SQ competitor has one 12" JBL MKII in a vented center console enclosure. His truck sounds beautiful with a lot of fun factor. Just for giggles (as he is solely an sq guy) we metered his truck and he hit 155 db's from 750 watts. That's pretty damn loud and can be obtained from the OP if he chooses.

Well if the subbass is lacking, any bump in midbass will enhance overall output. With the L7's in too small of an enclosure, he wont see 50hz and lower, i suggest crossover selected at 100hz and below. (do the door 6x9's cover 100hz and above?)
And yes, the bass should be behind you. You want a solid midbass, but you dont want sub bass in front as well. If youy want subs in the dash, by all means.....
You not caring what the passengers think may not be what the OP wants ;)

And yes, in the industry, have been for 25 years, helped guys that are REALLY into SQ like Gary Biggs, Mark Eldridge, Rob Rice, etc since the 80's and 90's. I dont come here to 'sell stuff', your throwing an arguement that I am here for my own benefit and it's comical. Never said "go buy this"....but I AM stating my opinion as he has our gear already and I am explaining how best to you use it, ya know, from industry experience.

What meter did he use, MECA? Before you get into how many db's someone ran, I also ran a competitive competition team that were in the likes of Alma Gates, Nathan Munson, Michael Hughes,etc....so I know what meters are and what they can read.

So again, i am talking to the OP and he can use any advice he wants, I could care less to argue what I believe or what you do, I know what works.