Compass not working ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

presten14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
My dad has a 2014 ram with the 5.0 uconnect and his compass has never working from day 1 of buying the truck. He has had it roughly a year. I recently bought a 2015 and the compass works and he was finally wondering why his wasnt. It says "no signal" when the compass button is clicked . Is it something I can fix or does it need to go to the dealer. ? I tried to install update but it doesn't say it needs one. Any help would be greatly appreciated

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My dad has a 2014 ram with the 5.0 uconnect and his compass has never working from day 1 of buying the truck. He has had it roughly a year. I recently bought a 2015 and the compass works and he was finally wondering why his wasnt. It says "no signal" when the compass button is clicked . Is it something I can fix or does it need to go to the dealer. ? I tried to install update but it doesn't say it needs one. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Does your dad have an overhead console ?
Do you have an overhead console?

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Take it to the dealer. Don't waste you time trying to fix something that is under warranty. I believe there is a tsb for needing to restore the vehicle configuration because the option code for the compass was not added.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
P

presten14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Okay will do . Thanks for the help

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've read some trucks with the RA2 5.0 Radio with the compass button on the radio did not come with the compass module and harnes required for proper operation ...

OP
OP
P

presten14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hmm okay. Maybe that's it. Ima take it to the dealer to make sure anyways

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I believe the 14 s had the modual for the compass installed in the overhead console , I think it's a dual module that also works the homelink as well.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Definitely take to the dealer , his truck should not have come from the factory with a button that doesn't work , to me that's no different than having a horn , cruise control or window buttons that doesn't work ...
Good luck and please post up here the results .

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thete are two modules for the compass one has Homelink the other does not. The compass module is mounted in the overhead console. I havent seen a truck equiped with the 5.0 that did not have the overhead console as well. It doesn't mean they don't exist just means I haven't seen one. The radio requires the module to work. If you have no overhead console maybe it is mounted some other way. Your father's truck should also have the compass heading in his E.V.I.C. the correct sales code for the compass/Homelink module is CV2. If you have the CV2 sales code with the overhead console you can add the Homelink. It's plug and play. Myself and many others have done it and it works great. As R.L.K.stated have the dealer fix this since you are still.under warranty. This problem has come up on other posts. In some cases dealers were saying that the compass not working was normal. This is not true the compass should work. Good luck. Keep us posted.

Last edited:

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
My compass has never worked on my SLT with uc5.0/overhead console/Evic either.

I have an appointment on Tuesday for my 2 recalls, maybe they can look at it then.
Sent from my LG G4 on Tapatalk.

Last edited:

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

I have an appointment on Tuesday for my 2 recalls, maybe they can look at it then.
Mike, have you had one of the recalls done already ?
I have 3 recalls on my truck.
R23 , R36 & R47 .
Do you have the Mopar Companion app ?
Maybe your vin only has two applicable to it ...
When do you plan on installing your RA4 8.4 "AN ?

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Mike, have you had one of the recalls done already ?
I have 3 recalls on my truck.
R23 , R36 & R47 .
Do you have the Mopar Companion app ?
Maybe your vin only has two applicable to it ...
When do you plan on installing your RA4 8.4 "AN ?
No recalls done yet and don't have the companion app (used the Mopar owner connect PC site). Mine is a crew cab, so they don't have to open up the headliner to rework the side airbags. Just need the airbag sensor settings flash and the steering wheel wire chaffing recalls.

My RA4 should be here Wednesday so hopefully between then and the weekend depending on weather (I prefer not to pull it into my tight garage).

Last edited:

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Update on my situation.

Dealer here in is blaming my add-on XM satellite radio (FM modulated) on messing up the compass module in the overhead liner due to EMI (electromagnetic interference).

Basically, I pigtailed of the back of the 12v switched outlet (solder/heat shrink) to power/hide the 2 cigarette lighter DC adapters behind the dash (XM and Qi phone holder.

As an Electronics tech for almost 20 years, I say they are full of crap. But they said they would cover it any way.

Last edited:

GoatLocker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
As an Electronics tech for almost 20 years, I say they are full of crap. But they said they would cover it any way.

They are certainly full of crap. Good that they are covering it.

I'm also an ET, though retired after 30 years.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L

Update on my situation.

Dealer here in is blaming my add-on XM satellite radio (FM modulated) on messing up the compass module in the overhead liner due to EMI (electromagnetic interference).

Basically, I pigtailed of the back of the 12v switched outlet (solder/heat shrink) to power/hide the 2 cigarette lighter DC adapters behind the dash (XM and Qi phone holder.

Well the dealer said it was done. Picked up the truck and compass still didn't work (no signal) and wouldn't calibrate after they said the compass module was replaced.

Took the advisor for a quick spin to demonstrate what it was doing. Also noticed that the compass variance when changed wouldn't save either.

Still have my truck because they have my wife's Dart for a possible left front wheel bearing replacement after 5k miles (hum at 40-50mph).

Trying to decide if I want them working on my truck anymore or not. The advisor mentioned getting a StarTech involved. Just more delay until I can try out my RA4 conversion.

Thete are two modules for the compass one has Homelink the other does not. The compass module is mounted in the overhead console.
Do you know the part number for the 2 versions?

Last edited:

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I do but it's at home. I will post them when I get off work if no one else has. Did you ask them if they verified the truck had the CV2 sales code? The RA2 compass wont work without it.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Subscribed!
I plan on installing an O/H Console with the compass module and operating in the future .
I'm sure Mpgrimm2 will figure this out .

Does the RA4 have a compass module button ? If it does I'll definitely be completing this .

What say you Mike ?

Last edited: