Compass not working ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I do but it's at home. I will post them when I get off work if no one else has. Did you ask them if they verified the truck had the CV2 sales code? The RA2 compass wont work without it.

Looking over my build sheet now...

I see: CUNS "Overhead Console"
but no CV2 "O/HEAD CONSOLE W/UGDO" code?

Hmm. I will have to grab my service sheet out of the truck and see what the module P/N is they replaced also.

EDIT: is the ...w/UGDO the one for the Homelink module? (Edit; yes it is)
The part they replaced on mine was: 68105821AB (Module, Compass).

edit 2: It looks like another possible P/n is 68105822AB (o/head compass with home link with univ.Garage door opener).

Here's a link for sales code info: 2013+ SalesCodes All.pdf

Last edited:

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Good luck with the Dealer Mike !

GoatLocker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
EDIT: is the w/UGDO the code for the Homelink module? (which I don't have)
The part they replaced on mine was: 68105821AB (Module, Compass).

[/URL]

UGDO = Universal Garage Door Opener.

No mention of compass on my build sheet, though I do have it.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The part number for the compass module with the Homelink for the 2013 and up is......68105822AB. I would recomend confirming this before ordering. As stated this is a plug and play if you already have the RA2 with the overhead console. You can also add it to a RA1 equiped truck if you connect the proper wiring and have the CV2 sales code added to your truck. I helped a friend add the RA2 to his RA1 truck. The compass would not work untill he added the CV2 sales code. Not sure about the UGDO code for the Homelink. Myself and many others have added the Homelink to our RA2 equiped trucks and they work fine with no additional sales codes.

Last edited:

05roush0090

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know it's almost off topic but I just upgraded from a ra2 radio (compass worked) to an ra4 radio and it doesn't display which direction I am heading like it should. Not sure if it's something messed up with the radio, non compatible module or what the deal is

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I know it's almost off topic but I just upgraded from a ra2 radio (compass worked) to an ra4 radio and it doesn't display which direction I am heading like it should. Not sure if it's something messed up with the radio, non compatible module or what the deal is
I was wondering about this on post 20 above ?
So the RA4 does have compass ?

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Poking around the internet, I see many others at different sites have had compass inop problems.
Most of the time the compass module and radio were replaced without fixing it.
I see no feed back from the very limited people who's dealer got it working.

Is there anyone who has solid info on fixing this?

Sent from my LG G4 on Tapatalk.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Poking around the internet, I see many others at different sites have had compass inop problems.

I've seen people have it fixed by the dealer , one I read , he had the O/H console with no module or the added wires in the harness . Lights and I believe a rear sliding window only ?

Another I belive just had basic O/H console with lights , but had the RA2 also and the dealer got it working , I presume by installing the compass module and associated wiring ?

A couple months ago I did a bit of reserch on installing an O/H console with compass module in my truck and

I'm pretty sure the O/H Console harness is plugged into a green connector behind the drivers air vent routs up the drivers side A pillar and over to the console .

I've purchased everything to do the install less the harness . CuylerTech / The Harness Connection can make the harness for the lighting ,compass & Homelink Module . Can't remember the price he gave me on it but he said it wouldn't be an issue for them to make .

Hope this helps !

Last edited:

05roush0090

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was wondering about this on post 20 above ?
So the RA4 does have compass ?

My wife's jeep will display which direction you are heading at the top of the screen by the "outside temp" and on the NAV icon itself. Mine doesn't do that for some reason.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Maybe this will help you Sir

http://www.ramforum.com/showthread.php?t=69962

RA2 5.o Radio COMPASS SIGNAL

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
FYI. Looked over the schematic for my compass module (under 'Message Systems').

The module only uses 3 wires, 12v (fuse 80), Gnd, and Lin Bus CBC2 to the BCM.
The compass data must then pass through the BCM to the Evic (mine has the option to display it, but it's blank) and also to the radio over the Can Bus (unless there is a dedicated Lin Bus CBC2 input).

Since I have no compass data on either my radio or 7" Evic, there is most likely an issue with the BCM, the CUN (or CV2) sales code for the BCM, or the compass module still isn't putting out the signal to the BCM (if it was in fact replaced).

EDIT:
- Sales code, CUN, is standard over head console & compass module. 68105821AB

- Sales code, CV2, is over head console w/HomeLink. 68105822AB

Also need the JFJ, TEMPERATURE & COMPASS GAUGE, sales code added to get it to show up on the RA4 radio (thanks for pointing it out CuylerTech)

Here's the schematic for my 2013
2013 Ram MESSAGE-SYSTEMS Compass Module.pdf

and some compass notes:
Ram Compass Calibration error Notes.doc

and the list of all 2013 SalesCodes:
2013+ Ram SalesCodes All.pdf

Last edited:

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The module only uses 3 wires, 12v (fuse 84A), Gnd, and Lin Bus CBC2 to the BCM.
The compass data must then pass through the BCM to the Evic (mine has the option to display it, but it's blank) and also to the radio over the Can Bus (unless there is a dedicated Lin Bus CBC2 input).

Since I have no compass data on either my radio or 7" Evic, there is most likely an issue with the BCM, the CUN (or CV2) sales code for the BCM, or the compass module still isn't putting out the signal to the BCM (if it was in fact replaced).

So your truck came with the RA2 & the overhead console?

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mike have you verified the green connector behind the drivers vent ? It should go up to the console . The Qty of wires coming in and going up to the console may be diff . If there's less going up then your truck may be missing the 3 wires necessary for the compass module .
I'd also verify the module is even installed and if it is what is it plugged to .
I know this sounds crazy but I've had some Rediclous visits to the dealer that left me thinking " what the hell was the dealer tech thinking ".

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The module only uses 3 wires, 12v (fuse 84A), Gnd, and Lin Bus CBC2 to the BCM.

You are correct there are only three wires going to the module. Interestingly enough the Homelink/Compass module uses the same three wires. If your truck came with the overhead console with the RA2 you should have the three wire plug and compass module in your overhead console. All of the 13 and up trucks with the factory overhead console use the same connector for the compass module. Also strange is the compass module itself has 4 pins but the plug only has three wires. I keep telling people to check and make sure the correct sales code was added to the truck but no one seems to check and make sure it actualy was. Alot if these dealers are clueless and you have to walk them in the right direction. My advice is
1...pull the overhead console down and make sure the compass module is in fact there and it is plugged in. It will have three wires on the connector this is correct. Use a Multimeter and make sure you have power to the plug.
2....see if it looks like it was actualy replaced. It might be hard to tell. If you can't verify we will.have to assume the dealer did actualy change it.
3....If the module is present and plugged in properly make an appointment with the dealer to have the correct sales codes re flashed to your truck.
4....Make sure you have the RA2 sales code in your truck and the CV2 sales code as well. If it shows that you do have them re flash the codes anyway just in case there was a problem when they loaded them from the factory.
As I have said we have added these to trucks with RA1 radios upgraded to RA2 that never had the option and added the CV2 sales code only with the compas module and the compass worked fine. Can I guarantee this will work? No I can't but I would think it's your best bet. If all of that doesn't work I would check for updates for the radio firmware and possibly a factory reset...just my two cents.

Last edited:

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Edited my previous post 31 with the schematic and other notes.

@RLK, yes my truck came with compass code CUN and the overhead module/RA2/7" Evic cluster. The wiring and connector should be in the drivers A pillar. I have had it work briefly during 1 short drive.

@RicksRam2015, Thanks for the suggestions. I may check what I can by myself. This whole thing is keeping me from installing the RA4 upgrade (I have all the parts) so that the dealership doesn't blame that on the problem. Once I do, getting anything fixed under warranty will be next to impossible. The dealership advisors where I'm at currently don't seem to even want me back in to try and fix it. Running out of time before the holiday. May just let this one go and move on. Uggh. Time is my issue and the dealer has gotten a lot of it this week while I have been on vacation.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Well, I decide to double check a few things out on the truck starting with the fuse using a meter. I don't know if it wasn't seated all the way our not (looked like it was).
Needless to say the compass decided to start working in both the Evic (set for upper right corner) and radio. Took a quick drive to parking lot and it calibrated. Don't know if it's a fluke or not. On to the next project.
uploadfromtaptalk1450459964052.jpguploadfromtaptalk1450459988219.jpg

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That is awsome glad you got it working. Stuff like that drives me crazy untill I get it figured out.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Funny thing, it stopped working the next trip, but started to work again 5 mins into the last drive.

Edit: hasn't worked the last 2 drives.
CUN code must be active at least.

Compass module signal must just be flakey.

Drive 4: worked for middle five out of 15 minute drive.

Drive 5: worked for 2nd 5mins of 15min drive. Re-calibrated it while looping the highway on/off ramps. Stopped working, came back for 1-2 mins near end of drive and went to no signal again.

Last edited:

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
As Jwheeler said, some trucks had an issue where they needed the vehicle reconfiguration reprogrammed. The compass module is in the overhead console. Either way if it's a new truck with warranty, take it in to the dealer, don't mess with it yourself.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963