Dash & Front Door Speaker Wiring / Amp Channels?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BassDaggett

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I have the 6 Speaker 8.4 system in my 2016 EcoDiesel CC. I've changed all 6 speakers to Kicker 3.5", 6.5" and 6"x9" (Thx Crutchfield). Now I'm considering adding an amp.

Questions:

Is, is the 8.4 system a 6-channel system or does it split the signal somewhere?

If yes, where (I've read somewhere that the Dash and Front Doors were split, just haven't verified that)?

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
It is not 6 channel. the front channels pick up the doors and the dash speakers

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
I have the upgraded one, but the dash and fronts are the same channel, just crossed to push low band to doors and high band to dash, not sure where the line in the sand is thought ?

OP
OP
B

BassDaggett

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Crossed in the doors?

When I was replacing the speakers, I also took the time to add some Dynamat to the doors... Inside the panels speaker wire appeared to go to device in the door. Is it possible this is the cross, or is this just where they make the final link to the speaker during assembly?

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The dash and front door are parallel off the same signal. To get the best result they need to be separated. A 6x9 and a 3.5 sharing the same signal isnt a great idea unless there is a crossover in there somewhere. A simple crossover can improve the sound greatly, an amp and crossover changes the game.

wsutard1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
Wow, these responses are confusing...

Simplifying things for you.
Your system is a 4 channel system. Front Left, Front Right, Rear Left, Rear Right.

Tap into the headunit output of these wires and send them to the amp with new wire. Make sure your amp accepts line level inputs (speaker wire) Then send the amp output wires back to behind the head unit and then tap into the wires going directly to the speakers.

Echoing WilliamS, I would also recommend separating the front dash tweeters from the front door woofers. You can either do this buy using a 6 channel amp (expensive) or adding in passive crossovers (cheaper). If you add in the crossovers I would run the signal wire for the front speakers from the amp and into the little storage box on the dash (above the glove box, and if you have a door on it). Place the crossovers in there and then run the wire from the crossovers back behind the head unit again and connect them to the corresponding speaker wires.

The split you are referring to for the dash and front door is a physical connection which they take one wire and spit it into two. I believe the tweeter has a small capacitor on it to remove the bass and mids.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^^ good info.. but you dont need to use the high level inputs. you can use a loc or dsp if that is the desired route.