DavidRam's 1st Audio Build... EVER! :)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Honestly what I read it should take a good bit to bottom out. If you want to try another shallow out first let me know cause totally been down that road and I want to see you comfortable when first diving into something new.
I used to be very shy about expensive equipment cause I didn't have skills and resources I do now so I've done a ton of dirt cheap builds where my whole system would cost as much as one of my amplifiers do now.
With your attention to detail I don't think these subs would be much of an issue for you, just have to take tuning slow.

Nick kept warning me and almost telling me not to get the subs. It was almost like a reverse psychology sales pitch, lol! It isn't about the money, but rather getting them in and the potential time and frusteration needed to get them tuned right...

When I say I have zero experience with audio, especially car, I am not kidding. IIRC, when I was in college I put a bazooka tube in the trunk of my Honda civic, and by that I mean a friend of mine hooked up the wiring! That is the extent of my "audio builds" until now! :)

I don't think you should be worried. It's hard to explain but it's basically that the sub plays to clean, it doesn't seem very loud. If that makes any sense.

This is just what I presume, dunno if there's any truth to it but I think most subs have a lot more distortion than we think and that distortion is discomforting to the ears so we perceive it as loudness. The mkiv is basically distortion free so what ur actually hearing is how the music should actually sound.

My 1 mkiv still shakes my rear view mirror in my crew cab. I think 2 in a single cab would make me cream my pants

Ok, thanks! You guys are calming me down and keeping me focused!

One question: Are the Hellix subs any good?? :hidesbehindsofa:

Are Helix speakers any good?? I happen to be German born and raised like the idea of German equipment. ;)

Are than any other German audio brands that you can name??

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Nick kept warning me and almost telling me not to get the subs. It was almost like a reverse psychology sales pitch, lol! It isn't about the money, but rather getting them in and the potential time and frusteration needed to get them tuned right...

When I say I have zero experience with audio, especially car, I am not kidding. IIRC, when I was in college I put a bazooka tube in the trunk of my Honda civic, and by that I mean a friend of mine hooked up the wiring! That is the extent of my "audio builds" until now! :)

Ok, thanks! You guys are calming me down and keeping me focused!

One question: Are the Hellix subs any good?? :hidesbehindsofa:

Are Helix speakers any good?? I happen to be German born and raised like the idea of German equipment. ;)

Are than any other German audio brands that you can name??

Glad we are calming you down a bit. German brands off the top of my head are Brax, Ground Zero, Helix, Hertz, Rainbow and all make great speakers. I've never heard any of the Helix stuff since they have been out of my price range since I realized what the company was but I think there have been some decent reviews out there.

BradKnob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Nice, my last name means "garlic" in German lol.

I bought some speakers from a guy recently who was running helix 6.5" and loved me. I didn't hear them but he says he's got 300 watts per side and they handle it like a beast. That's as much as I know about helix speakers.

Audiotec Fischer makes helix as well as brax and match. I think brax is higher end than helix. I think rainbow is German made. Mb quart was German. I think it's German maestro now.

OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Looks like a good option thing that would shy me away a bit is the airspace needed. Mine take a cube and to get the angel where I think you would want it will really cut down on the center cubby while still trying to maintain .90 cubes.

OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Glad we are calming you down a bit. German brands off the top of my head are Brax, Ground Zero, Helix, Hertz, Rainbow and all make great speakers. I've never heard any of the Helix stuff since they have been out of my price range since I realized what the company was but I think there have been some decent reviews out there.

Nice, my last name means "garlic" in German lol.

I bought some speakers from a guy recently who was running helix 6.5" and loved me. I didn't hear them but he says he's got 300 watts per side and they handle it like a beast. That's as much as I know about helix speakers.

Audiotec Fischer makes helix as well as brax and match. I think brax is higher end than helix. I think rainbow is German made. Mb quart was German. I think it's German maestro now.

Looks like a good option thing that would shy me away a bit is the airspace needed. Mine take a cube and to get the angel where I think you would want it will really cut down on the center cubby while still trying to maintain .90 cubes.

For my own peace of mind, I am gonna take a look at a couple more subs in the brands you guys recommended...

Brax only makes a 10" and it's $800 each, out of my range for now. :roflsquared:

I might pass on Rainbow because... uuuhhh... that just sounds too :homoswitch:
Lmao!

Here is the budget I should probably stick with:

(2) 12" subs $600
(1) Sub box $300
(2) Speakers/tweeters sets $500

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Illusion C12 I believe would fit the bill also but I can't remember what those run and you can only buy them from an authorized dealer.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
David, while you may like to pound, and sound good, my two buddies own this company and they are close to you, Las Vegas. Try the Fi SSD.

If you'd like his email, let me know. This is the main guy that originally started RE.

SSD12 - Fi Car Audio Store

BradKnob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
JL audio makes a shallow mount sub that is supposed to be one of the best out. I haven't heard one tho

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
David, while you may like to pound, and sound good, my two buddies own this company and they are close to you, Las Vegas. Try the Fi SSD.

If you'd like his email, let me know. This is the main guy that originally started RE.

SSD12 - Fi Car Audio Store

Great subs tough getting 6.5ins of depth though. I will say I am always impressed with what Fi brings to the table for subs.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Great subs tough getting 6.5ins of depth though. I will say I am always impressed with what Fi brings to the table for subs.

True, David can make a bed/boot system :)

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Or maybe a single setup like Unbroken did in the center of his. That would actually be a very clean setup now that I think about it.

OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Last edited: