Do all ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Dumb question of the day is did all RAM's Gen 4 come with the factory security system ? My RAM does not arm. I have tried several times and way! Mt cheap HHR has one , 2 /3 times on FOB lock and all is good ! My dealer Tech said mine did not come with it so never flashed the computer!
My RAM is 2015 SLT Quad Cab purchased used ans was a Enterprise Renal in its past life if that make a different! Is the Tech full of crap and too lazy to flash ??
I assumed all Gen 4 came armed :) Thanks

Last edited:

ScottFL

U.S. Navy Gulf War Vet
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn 4X4
Engine
HEMI 5.7
According to the sales brochure, security systems are standard on Outdoorsman, Laramie, Longhorn & Limited trims. Which trim do you have?

OP
OP
Rado

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
According to the sales brochure, security systems are standard on Outdoorsman, Laramie, Longhorn & Limited trims. Which trim do you have?

Sorry forgot to put that in it is a SLT Thanks

ScottFL

U.S. Navy Gulf War Vet
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn 4X4
Engine
HEMI 5.7
If you are interested, here is a LINK for the 2015 sales brochure.

OP
OP
Rado

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
If you are interested, here is a LINK for the 2015 sales brochure.

Thanks for the link and I also found the link to the build sheet as well. I book marks the sales brochure !! My tech was full of crap lol.. Next trip I will make them re flash my ecm to get it to work,, Thankyou for your time

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
before you get too pissed at the tech try a few things. some vehicles it takes you to press the lock button 2x to activate it. next it also take a minute or two to set on some vehicles.

do this to see if you have one. open the divers window. close door press lock button 2x on the fob. wait a few minutes reach in the window and open the door with the inside handle not pressing the unlock button. see what happens

also search around on here and see what other found there was a post within the last few weeks about the same thing

OP
OP
Rado

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
before you get too pissed at the tech try a few things. some vehicles it takes you to press the lock button 2x to activate it. next it also take a minute or two to set on some vehicles.

do this to see if you have one. open the divers window. close door press lock button 2x on the fob. wait a few minutes reach in the window and open the door with the inside handle not pressing the unlock button. see what happens

also search around on here and see what other found there was a post within the last few weeks about the same thing
Thanks for your reply! I have tried the button twice/3 times etc. I also tried the emergency key and opening from inside still NG.. According to my build sheet I am supposed to have the alarm! So next visit I will bring in my build sheet :) I am not pissed as I live in a very low crime area but **** does travel lol.. I just want it because I will be going to Massachusetts to visit my grandson on campus and I have a son in Connecticut !

pkrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
I believe they all have an alarm, the issue is the factory only comes with door entry and engine kill. The horn will activate if the doors gets open, but does not come standard with shock or glass sensors. Meaning if someone breaks your side or rear windshield the factory alarm will not go off. Thieves know this and climb thru the windshield. There are factory and plenty of aftermarket alarms that will incorporate with your factory remotes so no need to carry two remotes. I wanna know if someone bangs the side of my truck somewhere or breaks in!! If you are really paranoid you can get GPS systems that will notify you if the vehicle gets moved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Rado

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I believe they all have an alarm, the issue is the factory only comes with door entry and engine kill. The horn will activate if the doors gets open, but does not come standard with shock or glass sensors. Meaning if someone breaks your side or rear windshield the factory alarm will not go off. Thieves know this and climb thru the windshield. There are factory and plenty of aftermarket alarms that will incorporate with your factory remotes so no need to carry two remotes. I wanna know if someone bangs the side of my truck somewhere or breaks in!! If you are really paranoid you can get GPS systems that will notify you if the vehicle gets moved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you for the good advice ! :)

Dave2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018,Previous 1998
Engine
3.6L,Previous 5.9L
I tried the test described above but got nothing. The Owners manual remarks about a security light. I found the spot on the dash for it, but it never lightes up when I lock the doors. It will light for the initial key on bulb check. This is a brand new tradesman trim level truck. Any idea how I can activate it or what kit I'd need to buy to make it work?

Thanks all!

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
On my Neon and also on my Challenger I had to have the Dealership turn it "on" for it to work. They said they all have them, but that 99% of the time they are never activated.....

Dave2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018,Previous 1998
Engine
3.6L,Previous 5.9L
Thanks Stimpy433. :) I have to go back to my dealer soon to get my licenseplate bracket and have my plates installed. I'll call ahead and see if that is something they can do at that time. I'd feel alot better about the truck, If I knew I had something for an alarm.

OP
OP
Rado

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I never did get mine to work :O My dealer said the RAM'S do not have one :O Funny my Cheap HHR/Cobalt has the basic Door alarm !

Dave2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018,Previous 1998
Engine
3.6L,Previous 5.9L
I called the Customer Service Hotline number for FCA and gave them my VIN and asked them If I was supposed to have a security alarm. They said yes. Don't know if the dealer will accept that but it's worth a try. I have a 2018 MY truck. Prior years may differ.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I don’t believe they turned mine on either. **** they wanted to charge me $160 just to turn on the DRL’s.

I Love my 18 Ram 2500HD 4x4 CC
Blue Streak Pearl off-road

Ghost_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
16' 1500 Express. Activated my VTA with AlfaOBD. Can do your DRLs as well. If I don't absolutely have to step into a stealership I won't.

Dave2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018,Previous 1998
Engine
3.6L,Previous 5.9L
Sucess! I got my Alarm turned on by the dealer. No charge. The process I had to go through was: Have the dealer print out the options build sheet showing all the option codes. VTSS is the code that I needed. I had to open a case with FCA and get a case number. Then the dealer had to contact the regional business center with the case number and get a STAR number. After two trips and about 3 hours total - I have a working alarm. It was worth it in my opinion.

Also as an aside.., the dealer got a fire lit under them when I said that I was willing to pay money to get this turned on. I really wanted it. Not sure why that made a difference, but after I said that things happened quickly. I had my alarm 2 days later and I didn't have to leave the truck. Total cost $0.00. LOL...