Dome light/Fuse

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Dome light/Fuse UPDATED

Just picked up me truck a couple months ago and never noticed the dome light is out :O , I do not drive much at night.. Puled the bulb out and it rings out good on my meter.. Looked in manual for fuse # and I can not find anything that says dome light! :O The map lights work and as far as I know everything else is working . anyone know what the fuse # is or what it is paired up with ??? Thanks

Last edited:

bucks130

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2014 quad cab and did a quick search on alldata for you. Didn't see any fuses specific to the dome light...looks like they are all controlled by the BUS system in the truck...but lists a 40amp green fuse in slot F12 for interior lights. If all other lights are working, fuse should be fine.

That being said, in the 2014 the dome light has a 3 pin connector. If looking at the connector with the clip on the top, it reads pin 1, 2, 3 starting on the right side and going left.

Pin 1 (yellow/light blue) is the reading light driver
Pin 2 (yellow/violet) is the courtesy light driver
Pin 3 (black) is ground

I would check voltage in this connector, assuming 12V.

OP
OP
Rado

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I have a 2014 quad cab and did a quick search on alldata for you. Didn't see any fuses specific to the dome light...looks like they are all controlled by the BUS system in the truck...but lists a 40amp green fuse in slot F12 for interior lights. If all other lights are working, fuse should be fine.

That being said, in the 2014 the dome light has a 3 pin connector. If looking at the connector with the clip on the top, it reads pin 1, 2, 3 starting on the right side and going left.

Pin 3 (black) is ground

Thank you for your reply,, I saw that 40 amp fuse did not make sense to me lol I did check for power and I do have 12.4v to ground either side of the light bulb , so I am assuming a bad ground ? I will be switching my winter tires over to summer tires soon so I will let the dealer do it since I am in warranty :) I did not want to look like a ******** and take in in for a blown fuse or bulb lol Thanks again at least someone chimed in after all the looker s lol

bucks130

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you for your reply,, I saw that 40 amp fuse did not make sense to me lol I did check for power and I do have 12.4v to ground either side of the light bulb , so I am assuming a bad ground ? I will be switching my winter tires over to summer tires soon so I will let the dealer do it since I am in warranty :) I did not want to look like a ******** and take in in for a blown fuse or bulb lol Thanks again at least someone chimed in after all the looker s lol

No problem. Yeah it may just be something in the bus as well that isn't being passed out to the bulb. Are you sure the bulb is good? Did you read any resistance at all thru it?

Also, what about the tabs that hold it in place. Maybe they are loose for some reason and providing a weak connection? Can prolly take some pliers and give them a little squeeze to hold it tighter. I see that kind of problem a lot with the battery tabs in remote controls. The fix for that is putting in some foil to help tighten the connection.

Anyways just some other things to maybe try if you get bored. Let us know what the dealer finds out if you don't first

OP
OP
Rado

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
No problem. Yeah it may just be something in the bus as well that isn't being passed out to the bulb. Are you sure the bulb is good? Did you read any resistance at all thru it?

Also, what about the tabs that hold it in place. Maybe they are loose for some reason and providing a weak connection? Can prolly take some pliers and give them a little squeeze to hold it tighter. I see that kind of problem a lot with the battery tabs in remote controls. The fix for that is putting in some foil to help tighten the connection.

Anyways just some other things to maybe try if you get bored. Let us know what the dealer finds out if you don't first
Buck , yea the bulb show resistance and fits tight ! I 'll just let the dealer sort it out easier that way lol Thanks again

bucks130

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Buck , yea the bulb show resistance and fits tight ! I 'll just let the dealer sort it out easier that way lol Thanks again

any updates to what happened with your light?

OP
OP
Rado

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
any updates to what happened with your light?

Not yet, I get back from vacatio nest week and I will update when I get it fixed

OP
OP
Rado

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
OP
OP
Rado

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
They found a bad ground at the light. Seems it was pushed out! Hope that helps anyone who has the same problem

Fred T

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6L Eco

Pin 3 (black) is ground

F12 is power locks

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
So, old thread but my interior dome lights don't come on when you open the door or use the remote.

They work if you push on them but nothing else. Not even the switch on the headlight switch.
Checked the one fuse under the hood and it's fine.

This was a good read.
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Discussion-t22153_ds617821

But I don't seem to have any of those other problems that would trigger it, but I do suspect it might some wires in the that run from the door to the cab.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

Gixxer750

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015_2017
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, old thread but my interior dome lights don't come on when you open the door or use the remote.

They work if you push on them but nothing else. Not even the switch on the headlight switch.
Checked the one fuse under the hood and it's fine.

This was a good read.
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Discussion-t22153_ds617821

But I don't seem to have any of those other problems that would trigger it, but I do suspect it might some wires in the that run from the door to the cab.

Any other ideas?

Thanks
Sad to say but there is literally a circuit board made of tin foil on the inside of your overhead consol. Grab a meter that rings continuity and start testing?

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

El Huapo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4X4 Warlock 1500 Classic DS w/3.55 LSD
Engine
V6 flex
Well I drove to work today and found out I have no horn, steering wheel controls don't work, and the all the buttons on the center console. Tow/haul, heated/cooled seats etc.

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/steering-wheel-controls-not-working.135158/

You're in a wet area. I used to be likewise. Corrosion of ground connection points was a huge issue for me. I got a tube of "No-Alox"---Electricians' grease---for connections and used it when I located a corroded ground point. Solved them one at a time that way. The first one I would always do on an older car was the big ground coming from the battery to the frame.

Gixxer750

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015_2017
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You're in a wet area. I used to be likewise. Corrosion of ground connection points was a huge issue for me. I got a tube of "No-Alox"---Electricians' grease---for connections and used it when I located a corroded ground point. Solved them one at a time that way. The first one I would always do on an older car was the big ground coming from the battery to the frame.
No lox. De-ox, and the like are made for aluminum wire connections pretty exclusively. Not honna lie we cheat it for other stuff, but its best to just sand-reattatch-and hit it with some spray paint or whatever. The oxidation inhibitors are not exactly ment to be dielectric. (Kind of neutral omg a lame electrical joke!)

Gixxer750

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015_2017
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No lox. De-ox, and the like are made for aluminum wire connections pretty exclusively. Not honna lie we cheat it for other stuff, but its best to just sand-reattatch-and hit it with some spray paint or whatever. The oxidation inhibitors are not exactly ment to be dielectric. (Kind of neutral omg a lame electrical joke!)
Also those connections are almost always better protected from the elements than our tipm

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Yeah, it is wet down here. LOL but I don't live by the sea.

There could be corrosion, but my truck stays in the garage 5 days a week.

Really don't know what else it could besides the clock spring but one person on another forum said that didn't work.

Last edited:

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, I do not know that far back, but on 2015's and up there is large white wire connector under dash, drivers side, near E brake above left foot. Make sure that connection is proper and tight. There is another like connection under truck, left of trans, near cross member, drivers side. I do not think that one would affect inside. That be the only thoughts I have.