Door rattling....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kissimmeetiger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Novice here... I just had 4 Kicker door speakers, amp, sub and the works installed in my 2016 Ram 1500. The back door 6x9 speakers are rattling the doors bad when rumbling bass comes through. Not so much with a simple thump of bass. What can be done/added to the speaker/door to cut that mess out? The speakers can more than handle the power running through it. What most likely causes this? Sounds terrible on some songs. Sorry if this has been covered a zillion times.

Thanks,

Tom

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
A real quick fix would be to adjust your fade and take a bit of oomph away from your back speakers. You really shouldn't be able to hear the back speakers too much anyhow...the back speakers should simply add fill and some ambiance to the entire system.

Or you can fix the issie by removing the rear door panels and adding some butyl rubber sound deadener to the inside of the door card, and inner panels. I deaden all door panels anyway.

BadHabit2Break

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
also check the crossover on your amp and make sure it is not set to low, set too low and you will get alot of bass to them. As stated above, rear speakers are fill.

Also agree...sound deaden the doors will help alot.

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
I would take the panels off to make sure all the bits are right and in the right spot (in additional to the above comments).

mcaligiuri

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 ram 1500 express crew cab
Engine
5.7 hemi
I upgraded to sport panels. I couldn't take the rattle on the solid plastic express panels. So much more solid and bass is way better

OP
OP
K

kissimmeetiger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A real quick fix would be to adjust your fade and take a bit of oomph away from your back speakers. You really shouldn't be able to hear the back speakers too much anyhow...the back speakers should simply add fill and some ambiance to the entire system.

Or you can fix the issie by removing the rear door panels and adding some butyl rubber sound deadener to the inside of the door card, and inner panels. I deaden all door panels anyway.

Thank you Autokraft. I'd imagine this is a common thing in doors when adding better speakers and an amp. It's as if those rumbling bass lines are jarring the door and with the wave. I just noticed yesterday that it is in the front speakers too. The installer set the amp with everything to get the best sound. I've just found Dynamat and read what it can do. Is that the same as the sound deadner you speak of?

Tom

OP
OP
K

kissimmeetiger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
also check the crossover on your amp and make sure it is not set to low, set too low and you will get alot of bass to them. As stated above, rear speakers are fill.

Also agree...sound deaden the doors will help alot.

Okay... I'll check the crossover. I noticed yesterday that the front passenger speaker jarred the door pretty hard too. Sounds quite obnoxious. I just want the speakers to bang and not jar the door. Tell me this... are things like Dynamat just cut to fit around the speaker to make it solid, around the bits in the door, or both? Being a Crew Cab could this get pricey?

OP
OP
K

kissimmeetiger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I upgraded to sport panels. I couldn't take the rattle on the solid plastic express panels. So much more solid and bass is way better

As in the sport truck vs express truck or a certain type of panel sold elsewhere? I have a Sport Ram.

Tom

BadHabit2Break

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
Okay... I'll check the crossover. I noticed yesterday that the front passenger speaker jarred the door pretty hard too. Sounds quite obnoxious. I just want the speakers to bang and not jar the door. Tell me this... are things like Dynamat just cut to fit around the speaker to make it solid, around the bits in the door, or both? Being a Crew Cab could this get pricey?

Dynomat usually comes in sheets and you cut what you need and place it where you want.

You can reference this site and what it takes to kill the noise.
https://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

they sell product also, but I have not bought from them. But they have lots of good reading on the subject.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
dynomat will only do so much but will help a little. To get rid of you you need to eliminate panel rattling against the door. This is usually a foam based to add thickness to make the panel and door tight together.

For what its worth. My rattle from back doors was not from the door card, it was the pillar piece.

OP
OP
K

kissimmeetiger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
dynomat will only do so much but will help a little. To get rid of you you need to eliminate panel rattling against the door. This is usually a foam based to add thickness to make the panel and door tight together.

For what its worth. My rattle from back doors was not from the door card, it was the pillar piece.

Does the foam have a name or brand? Thanks.

OP
OP
K

kissimmeetiger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7