Downgrade UConnect 5.0 to 3.0

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hobowillie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Ram 1500 SLT 4x4
Engine
Yes, I know it may seem like a ridiculous concept to many, but I'm thinking of replacing the 5.0 stereo in my 2015 quad-cab with the base 3.0 one.

Never been a big fan of touchscreen stereos and have no use for bluetooth integrated into it. I like having actual buttons that I can push, and I rarely talk on my phone while I drive.

I do, however, kinda like having the back-up camera in certain situations, but it displays through the stereo currently.

So a few questions:

1) Would the stereo itself be a PnP swap .. as far as the radio functions go (music, USB playback)?

2) What would happen to the various settings controlled by the 5.0/ra2 stereo (headlight timer, door unlock settings, etc)? Don't need them necessarily but just curious.

3) Would I lose the compass in my dash display or just the one in the stereo? Not a great loss, but it is somewhat handy at times; and I have no idea what controls where that is displayed.

4) What would be required to swap the bluetooth mirror to a camera display mirror to keep the functionality there since it is already has the camera installed? Mirror, of course, and ... maybe different harnesses?

Any info would be appreciated, thanks.

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
I think it would be pnp. I have an aftermarket stereo and the compass still works in the evic. Your door lock settings should stay where you left them on the 5.0 even if you dc the battery. Usb will probably still work but it's questionable. Not sure about all of that and even more uncertain about the mirror.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
#1 yes plug n play

#2 settings would be controlled in the Evic , via the sterringwheel controls on the left as they are now .

#3 you will retain the compass heading in your dash cluster / only loose the radio display .
The compass signal is driven by a compass module and a sales code flashing ( CUN or CV2 )

#4 yes you will need a different harness and a video display mirror . The mirror you have now has microphones, it's harness is routed from its location to the right and down the passengers side pillar to a connector behind the passengers air vent .
You will route your new harness the same way .

If #4 does not work in the mirror , then go to www.harness-connection.us and order the harness to add the back up cam display to the radio from the mirror , you will get instructions complete with pin #s and wire colors , the only diff is you will be going backwards , so you will cut the wires going into the radio @ the radios C1 connectors location 31 ,32 &33 and wire them as per the www.harness-connection.us 's instructions towards the connectors wires behind the passengers air vent .

This is only 3ea wires and will be a simple reverse install for their premade harness . Good luck !

Hope this helps !

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Also you can easily sale your RA2 Touchscreen Bluetooth Video capable radio & Mirror with microphones and the harness here in the classifieds. Good luck !

And the RA1 , Video capable mirror and harness you desire should be easily obtained through the Forums wanted section of the classifieds as well , due to many here have upgraded to the RA2 and have relocated the back up cam to the RA2 .

Last edited:

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
One problem you will encounter will be the settings menue. The 5.0 has the settings in the radio and the 3.0 has them in the EVIC cluster. In order to access your settings menue ,lights,horn,hillstart, ect you may need to have the RA1 sales code flashed to your truck. Unless you are not concerned about adjusting your settings after changing your radio.

OP
OP
hobowillie

hobowillie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Ram 1500 SLT 4x4
Engine
Excellent, thanks.

I saw the harness you refer to and figured something like that might also be helpful if not required.

Mainly wasn't sure if the harness coming from the camera itself also had a different connector on it for the radio than for a mirror display. Wouldn't think so, but wasn't able to find out for certain.

So many things on newer vehicles are nitpicky or straight non-interchangeable down to the most minor-seeming things. It's annoying as hell.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
@Ricksram

Mmmm good point, I was assuming those options wer always in the evic ?

OP
OP
hobowillie

hobowillie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Ram 1500 SLT 4x4
Engine
Yeah, I'm not too concerned about not being able to access them afterwards. I can set things the way I need them before changing the radio out since I assume it should hold those settings even after the swap.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Excellent, thanks.

I saw the harness you refer to and figured something like that might also be helpful if not required.

Mainly wasn't sure if the harness coming from the camera itself also had a different connector on it for the radio than for a mirror display. Wouldn't think so, but wasn't able to find out for certain.

So many things on newer vehicles are nitpicky or straight non-interchangeable down to the most minor-seeming things. It's annoying as hell.
Have your full 17 digit Vin # available , then Google techauthortychrysler wire diagrams, choose the English one , plug in your vin & use the the site and you'll find your trucks wiring as it left the factory ...
This will let you know if you will need to wire the backup cam from the radio connector to the connector behind the passenger air vent , by confirming you have a video+ , video- and a shield wire going there already .
Hope this helps !

Last edited:

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
It will hold the settings and if you ever want to change them, and still have the 5.0, just pop it in for a minute. 6 screws hold it in.

bobbo7915

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7L
the mirror will have to be hardwired, i went from a 3.0 with backup camera in the rear view mirror to an 8.4n and was able to swap the video feed into the 8.4n.

fairly easy to do, it is only 3wires that need to be run from behind the passenger side air vent, up into the mirror wiring connector. it is a different connector between the mirrors but is only a few connections with some quality crimps if you cut off and swap.

i do have the mirror with connector still if you want to follow through with this.

OP
OP
hobowillie

hobowillie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Ram 1500 SLT 4x4
Engine
the mirror will have to be hardwired, i went from a 3.0 with backup camera in the rear view mirror to an 8.4n and was able to swap the video feed into the 8.4n.

fairly easy to do, it is only 3wires that need to be run from behind the passenger side air vent, up into the mirror wiring connector. it is a different connector between the mirrors but is only a few connections with some quality crimps if you cut off and swap.

i do have the mirror with connector still if you want to follow through with this.

I found a mirror off a wrecked truck that comes with the harness down to dash connection for cheap that I can tinker with if needed.

Be a couple weeks before I can get around to it, but I figured there might be some splicing and/or re-pinning of connectors involved in the process.

Ain't skeered.

OP
OP
hobowillie

hobowillie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Ram 1500 SLT 4x4
Engine
Hmm .. well I did find a radio to use but it asks for a 4-digit unlock code. Which, of course, I do not have.

Any way to get that without going through dealership hassles or paying 30-40 bucks online somewhere? I have the VIN from the truck it came out of.

Called one dealership and they said they didn't know how to get it, but I think they're full of ****.

So, I thought I'd ask here before driving all the way down to the dealership after work Monday.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That dealership is full of **** !
I sold my RA1 several months ago and the buyer called his dealer and got it over the phone in less than 5 minutes. Free of charge .

I believe www.navrepair.com
Charges $20. If you don't want to go to the dealer .

OP
OP
hobowillie

hobowillie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Ram 1500 SLT 4x4
Engine
Yeah, I talked to some service kid who transferred me to some parts kid who sounded about 14. I'm assuming it wasn't an option in the search menu on his parts program, so he just didn't know how to proceed from there and his brain locked up.

I'll run down to the dealership where I got the truck and see if they can hook me up. Need to anyway since it occurred to me that I don't have the unlock code for the stock stereo that I'm replacing either. Be good to have that too since it's not on any of the paperwork I have for my truck.

Is the code tied to the serial# of the radio itself or a combination of the vehicle's VIN#/stereo serial# ? Meaning if I got a code for my current ra2 in my truck, would that also work in a buyer's vehicle if I did decide to sell it or would they need their own code for their own truck?

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's tied to the S/N of the radio .

I gave my vin to the guy I sold mine to but I'm pretty sure he didn't need it .

OP
OP
hobowillie

hobowillie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Ram 1500 SLT 4x4
Engine

PM sent regarding this mirror.