Dumb Nav questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

reb0957

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
I have never had Nav in a vehicle before. That being said other than being on the big screen I am not sure that it is any better than google maps. I have been in and used Nav in several Ford company vehicles.
1. I am under a free trial with the 2 SiriusXM apps. Several times on my trip through Houston I was warned of traffic jams and was asked if I wanted to change my route. Are either of these 2 responsible for that action? If so, which one?
2. On the Ford's I can speak travel to Flying J Orange, TX and it would take me there. On this one I constantly have to have the address. Is there an app or something that can make mine do this. The only thing I saw was Yelp if you pay for UConnect.
3. Anything else I should know about this NAV system. Tips tricks Etc...

Thanks guys!

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The traffic is through the Sirus travel link on the 13 up Ram not sure what year yours is. To go to a destination you just push the V/R button and say find nearest and then whatever it is your looking for. Mine didn't used to work very well but works much better now after doing a free Firmware update through the Chrysler Uconnect site. Not sure if you have updated recently.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

reb0957

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
The traffic is through the Sirus travel link on the 13 up Ram not sure what year yours is. To go to a destination you just push the V/R button and say find nearest and then whatever it is your looking for. Mine didn't used to work very well but works much better now after doing a free Firmware update through the Chrysler Uconnect site. Not sure if you have updated recently.

Everytime I tried to VR navigate to nearest Jack in the Box. It would say you dont have any in your favorites.
Yes I have updated it twice.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not sure why that would be. It sounds like it might possibly something in your settings. I know you can have it set on certain things. Maybe go into your points of interest in your menu for navigation setting and see if they are all checked as places you want to go too. Also our map base is pretty old. There might be a lot of businesses and P.O.I. locations that aren't on there. Chrysler just came out with a map update for our trucks a few months ago. It's 149.00 you can order that and update your maps (If you haven't already) and have a more current P.O.I. list.

Last edited:

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
It is better than Google maps in one respect...turn by turn navigation without having to lift up that google driving instruction you printed.

OP
OP
R

reb0957

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
It is better than Google maps in one respect...turn by turn navigation without having to lift up that google driving instruction you printed.

I have a phone with a 6" display it props up perfectly in that little storage spot under AC controls.

I will try some different VR commands tomorrow.

joshjack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins

Printed??? WTF...

The "real" reason it's better than Google maps is the garmin map database is stored in the nav unit. So if you are out somewhere that doesn't have any cell phone signal you still have a comprehensive map system right there.

That being said, the TomTom app (pretty sure there is a Garmin one too) offer the same complete map download to your phone.

I have TomTom, Google, and Apple. 99% of the time I use Google. Seems to have the best maps, most up to date info on addresses and business locations, and easy to use.

HOWEVER - Google doesn't have a "night mode" for driving, so you get blinded by the bright white screen. Every single other mapping program automatically goes to night mode based on local time.