External hard drive question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

engineere6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just got a 17 Ram CC. My brother has a 15 Ram sport. He uses an external 1TB hard drive for all his music and suggested I do the same. Not a bad idea as I like all kinds of music. So I purchase the newer version of WD My Passport 1Tb. Put my music on it, doesn't work. I borrow his to test, his works just fine in my truck. So I purchase the older version of My Passport 1TB, just like his. Put my music on it, doesn't work. Tried both of mine in his truck, doesn't work. Talked to guy I work with, he suggested cloning his hard drive since it works. Did that, still doesn't work. So question is am I doing something wrong? Missing something? Not sure what else to try. Thanks in advance for any help!!!!!

Ed loves guns

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just got a 17 Ram CC. My brother has a 15 Ram sport. He uses an external 1TB hard drive for all his music and suggested I do the same. Not a bad idea as I like all kinds of music. So I purchase the newer version of WD My Passport 1Tb. Put my music on it, doesn't work. I borrow his to test, his works just fine in my truck. So I purchase the older version of My Passport 1TB, just like his. Put my music on it, doesn't work. Tried both of mine in his truck, doesn't work. Talked to guy I work with, he suggested cloning his hard drive since it works. Did that, still doesn't work. So question is am I doing something wrong? Missing something? Not sure what else to try. Thanks in advance for any help!!!!!

Sounds like the default file format. I dont remember which but I wanna say try Fat32. Or check your brothers HD.

BadHabit2Break

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
I believe its a FAT32 format and no directory (folders). Every song has to be on the root of the drive.

Damion

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have folders on my 32gb sd. Works fine. So I wouldn't think it's a folder issue. I'd check format

OP
OP
engineere6

engineere6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ya I was thinking format also but checked that and both are NFTS. Even checked all the properties on both drives and everything matched up. I would have thought just cloning his drive would have worked since his works with no issues.

Ed loves guns

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
By process of elimination, it has to be something with your computer or some setting/configuration when you transfer the music. What file format is the actual music youre putting on there? I have read that MP4s are hit and miss. And which radio do you have? When you plug in your hard drive what exactly happens? Does the radio see the HD but not play the music? Does the HD spin up and show an activity light?

JinxCanada

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Ram Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's DEFINITELY the format of the hard drive. You have to format it to FAT32 for the radio to be able to read it. It is probably in NTFS right now.

OP
OP
engineere6

engineere6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
By process of elimination, it has to be something with your computer or some setting/configuration when you transfer the music. What file format is the actual music youre putting on there? I have read that MP4s are hit and miss. And which radio do you have? When you plug in your hard drive what exactly happens? Does the radio see the HD but not play the music? Does the HD spin up and show an activity light?

All the music files are MP3's. We both have the 8.4 with Nav. When I plug my hard drive in, it just shows the connect usb device, when I plug his in usually 5-10 secs and the music starts playing. The hard drive activity light comes on but truck never recognizes it.

OP
OP
engineere6

engineere6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's DEFINITELY the format of the hard drive. You have to format it to FAT32 for the radio to be able to read it. It is probably in NTFS right now.

Brother's HD is formatted as NTFS and both our radios read and play his just fine. I did try reformatting my HD to FAT32 and it still wouldn't play. The guy that I work with messes with computers quite abit and he suggested maybe WD changed their drivers for the HD and that's why it won't work. Just doesn't make sense to me that all the settings are identical for both his and my HD but only his works lol.

CostaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Two recommendations:
1° Use a SSD disk instead of a hard disk, SSD disk have no moving parts and should last much longer
2° You problem is probably a different MP3 coding your radio don't understand.
Try to use your disk on your brothers radio to see if the disk plays there,
if it plays the problem is your Radio, if it don't play either then the problem is most likely your MP3 format.

Chris

OP
OP
engineere6

engineere6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Two recommendations:
1° Use a SSD disk instead of a hard disk, SSD disk have no moving parts and should last much longer
2° You problem is probably a different MP3 coding your radio don't understand.
Try to use your disk on your brothers radio to see if the disk plays there,
if it plays the problem is your Radio, if it don't play either then the problem is most likely your MP3 format.

Chris

Brother's HD plays just fine in my truck. I first copied his music to my HD, didn't work. I then cloned his HD to mine, still didn't work. His HD still works. So I really don't think it's a MP3 coding problem.

CostaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
The is something wrong with:
a) your harddisk (probably not as 2 disks are not playing)
b) your hard disks have a format probem
c) you have a different radio software then your brother
d) did you checked/swapped the USB cables?

I have/had similar problem with my 2011 uconnect radio.
sometimes it find songs on the integrated disk, sometimes not, sometimes it reboots, etc
I uploaded last software version and problems went 90% away.

Chris

OP
OP
engineere6

engineere6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The is something wrong with:
a) your harddisk (probably not as 2 disks are not playing)
b) your hard disks have a format probem
c) you have a different radio software then your brother
d) did you checked/swapped the USB cables?

I have/had similar problem with my 2011 uconnect radio.
sometimes it find songs on the integrated disk, sometimes not, sometimes it reboots, etc
I uploaded last software version and problems went 90% away.

Chris

Well I know I have the most up to date radio software because I looked to see if there was an update for it. Not sure on my brothers truck, will have to ask him later. Yes we did swap cables, same results. His played with mine, mine wouldn't play with his.

Considering contacting Uconnect or WD but not sure which one would be best option. I can see it now with my luck, Uconnect would say I need to contact WD and WD would say I need to contact Uconnect lol.

Ed loves guns

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think someone mentioned it earlier... What driver are you running in your HD? Check your brothers too if you still have it. Update or roll back the driver might help.