Factory replacement GPS Navi unit opinions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

User

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RC Black Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have been looking into something that will allow me to use navigation on the radio screen instead of using the S3 all the time.

I came across this unit, it's a no name.
Dodge Ram 1500 / 2500 / 3500 Touchscreen GPS Navigation Car Stereo

Stock:
Ram1500-1.JPG

Aftermarket
Ram1500-2.JPG

Was wondering if anyone used one, heard anything about them or anything. I typically go for Alpine or Kenwood decks, but with all this Uconnect and SOMCOM or whatever they call it, I don't want to lose the steering controls and the phone controls.

hunter99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not bad looking. Looks stock. I am really surprised fiat has not yet offered the nav upgrades for the uconnect 5.0. There is one and it uses Tom Tom. That why the unit is listed as nav ready in the specs.

Either wY that one looks good but depends on cost. If too expensive, and I had the radio you do, I would also look at the pioneer nav radios.

Jared4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Bighorn CC
Engine
They need to offer the dam nav upgrade. Its freaking available on the Fiat stuff like hunter99 said.

Jarhead57

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 4x4 CC Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I looked at that noname....for me it was a no go as you lose the things that you can setup for your truck...lights, etc, you also lose the sat radio.

OP
OP
User

User

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RC Black Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I looked at that noname....for me it was a no go as you lose the things that you can setup for your truck...lights, etc, you also lose the sat radio.

I noticed that it is compatible with the CANBUS, I thought CANBUS is the software that controls the functions you stated?

Jarhead57

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 4x4 CC Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I got that from another thread about this unit, I just can't find it. But someone that actually had it told us that was the case. I would also lose my backup cam...

OP
OP
User

User

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RC Black Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got that from another thread about this unit, I just can't find it. But someone that actually had it told us that was the case. I would also lose my backup cam...

I don't really mess with the lights and other options now that I have them setup how I want them, I assume these settings are stored in a different location like an ECM?

I have only had this truck for 2 months, so I have a question regarding these settings. If you remove the battery or the stock head unit do these settings stay the same or do they revert back to default settings?

If the settings are stored in a permanent memory location, then that would work perfect for me, or if all else fails you can keep the stock radio and just hook it back up and adjust the settings, since it uses stock harnesses shouldn't be to hard.

As for the backup camera, mine didn't come with one, but they do have a license plate camera, instead of it being in the tailgate handle.

License Plate Frame Back-Up Camera

I think that one is compatible with the unit too, hardwired or wireless connection.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i personally add it to the tail gate handle. it gets a better view of the hitch area there.

OP
OP
User

User

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RC Black Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i personally add it to the tail gate handle. it gets a better view of the hitch area there.

Well, I figured with the LP bracket when I smash the camera with the trailer I'm close enough.

/joke

I can see how the other camera will have a better view, good point!

romansam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
diesel
Bump did anyone ever install this? I was thinking about it

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio