Factory sub wiring to power aftermarket sub?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

king99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is it possible to use the factory wiring that is currently powering the factory sub on the 60 side of the 60/40 split rear seat to power an after market sub to the 40 side under the seat? I have a 10" sub and box that fits under the 40 side and I want to take the 8" sub box out so that I have more under seat storage space. I removed the factory sub box to look at the wiring a few months ago and if I remember correctly there are a few wires going to it. More than the 2 I need to put to my sub. Its a 2013 1500

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
You can take the signal from the factory sub, run it to a line out converter and then to an aftermarket amp that will power your aftermarket sub. But I wouldn't try to run the aftermarket sub off the factory amp. It just isn't going to have the power required to run the sub properly.

noupf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport 6'4 Bed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
the oem 8" sub is a dual voice coil sub, so that may be what you are seeing in the "extra" wires. I replaced my oem dvc 8" sub with a pioneer dvc 8" sub, but i dont recall the wire set up when I wired it again, sorry.

I am sure you could grab a 10" dvc sub and just wire it as it was for the 8". not sure the oem amp will give you the power you need for the 10" though.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
it would have to be a very low powered DVC sub. im not sure on the impedance but that will have to match also.

keep in mind that speakers are blown 10x more often because they distorted or under powered than speakers that were over powered.

OP
OP
K

king99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I have an aftermarket amp as well. Can I tap into the input speaker wire to the factory amp and send it to my amp? Run a fused lead off the battery to power the aftermarket amp and then hook the sub to the aftermarket amp? Sounds like that's what a shop would do. Thought the amp will never shut off if its straight to the battery?

Last edited:

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
actually you will have better luck if you use the sub wires at the factory sub. go into a LOC then to your amp with rca cables. its a digital canbus signal into the factory amp.

you will also have to run a remote wire to turn on and off the amp when you turn on and off the truck.