Factory Trailer Brake w/ aftermarket HU?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

beeg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I just picked up a '14 EcoDiesel last night with the factory trailer brake and Uconnect 5.0 (I think 5.0) head unit. The factory HU has trailer brake options and presets which I know I'll lose if I go aftermarket. Will the trailer brake still work though? Can it still be set up and used through the EVIC display or will I loose the trailer brake completely?

Ajwalk2008

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you go with a idata link piece from metra and a double din you should still retain that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
i dont think there are any trailer brake settings in the radio. everything is in the evic.

OP
OP
B

beeg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
If you go with a idata link piece from metra and a double din you should still retain that

Thanks, thats getting me on the right track. I found Kenwood has one that looks like it will work with the idatalink

9FE4F892-A06B-4A7F-B3AD-4EBEFF443F16_zpsunvsu1al.jpg

Ajwalk2008

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks, thats getting me on the right track. I found Kenwood has one that looks like it will work with the idatalink

9FE4F892-A06B-4A7F-B3AD-4EBEFF443F16_zpsunvsu1al.jpg

Kenwood has what that looks like it?

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7

just an FYI idatalink and metra are two different companies.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Metra owns idatalink

I believe you're thinking "Maestro" and not metra. If you get the maestro with a compatible head unit that has car features then you'll still be able to choose between "light electric, heavy electric, etc". I have the pioneer avh 4200 nex, and it retains those options

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
https://www.adsdata.ca/...I'm kinda thinking this is who makes it, but either way, I don't care who makes it! To answer the OP's question, if you were to buy a HU that didn't support car features, then yes, your trailer brake will still work. It will just be stuck on the last setting you had on the 5.0 (example "trailer 2, heavy electric"). You'll still be able to adjust the gain on that setting. Otherwise, like said before, and like the kenwood you pictured, get a HU that supports car features and use the maestro.

OP
OP
B

beeg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I believe you're thinking "Maestro" and not metra. If you get the maestro with a compatible head unit that has car features then you'll still be able to choose between "light electric, heavy electric, etc". I have the pioneer avh 4200 nex, and it retains those options

Thanks, good to know the Pioneer will work as well.

Are the vehicle menus created by the idatalink or does the idatalink just populate predetermined menus by the HU manufacture? I'm wondering if any idatalink compatible radio will have the trailer function or if some may be limited to more common uses like tire pressure and park assist.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The menus and car features are in the actual HU. The maestro activates them by plugging into the OBD2 port. With my pioneer, I'm able to use the climate controls, heated seat, tire monitor, park sense, engine diagnostics, and vehicle user settings, all through the radio.
So keep in mind, if you don't get a HU with these car feature menus, you will also loose the ability to change things like headlights stay on after locking truck, horn sounds when you lock your truck, illuminated approach, etc.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txram956