Fast charge USB port

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bryanmeeks84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is there anyway to make the USB plug in fast charge compatible. Basically higher voltage output other than a secondary charger.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

undertow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Short answer is no. It's a USB 2.0 port. The official USB 2.0 standard limits current draw to 0.5A, which is 2.5 watts at 5V. Some devices will ignore the standard and draw more than 0.5A if the port allows it, but fast charging is a completely different animal. Fast charging requires some smarts in the USB controller to respond to a device requesting higher output. Basically the device and the USB controller have to talk to each other and agree on the charging specs, and then charging begins once they figure it out. The USB 2.0 port in our trucks doesn't support any of that, so it just supplies the 0.5A required by the standard.

That said, if you really wanted to, you could wire up a fast charger behind the dash somewhere, and rewire the exposed USB port to it. But that's probably more trouble than it's worth, and it would be easier to just plug a fast charger into the 120V outlet and be done...

That was probably way more info than you wanted, but I'm kind of a geek, so...yeah.

:happy160:

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I feel like it charges pretty quick. My iPhone gets about 1% a minute.

baldpope

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I'm generally not a huge fan of resurrecting old threads, but I'm looking for some similar knowledge. The USB port on which are exposed on my 2015 Ram 1500 are nice, but I'd like to replace with a dual port fast charging setup. Presumably (and I admit I have not torn it apart yet) it's just receiving a +12V with just enough smarts to reduce to +5V and have a fuse limiting to an amp or less. However, I have found replacement type modules for exactly this purpose:

https://www.amazon.com/Zeato-Charger-Waterproof-Adapter-Smartphone/dp/B0775NVN28

Something like that.

The question I have is, what are the dimensions for the existing USB charger? My particular truck is a 2015 1500 Express. Not a lot of frills, but been a good truck so far.

swine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You could use that in place of the cigarette lighter accessory socket, plenty of guys have.