FiX-86 vs LC7i

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello RAM Forum,

I recently had an OEM integrated system installed in my 2017 Lone Star Silver. And overall it sounds okay, but the highs are just overkill above say 20 on the volume dial. Sibilance kills your ears, and rock music distorts heavily, mids and highs become super muddled. Basically about 30-40% of the music I listen to, is now... unlistenable.

So here are the pertinent details:
Factory 8.4A
Base 6-speaker/Non-Alpine System
Audio Control LC7i
JL Audio RD900/5
JL Audio Stealthbox
JL Audio C1-690tx (front)
Focal Auditor RCX-690 (rear)

So what I've been able to guess is the stock HU's signal has a lot of noise on the highs, and passing that through to get amplified at volumes above 20 is super noticeable. So the real question here is, would something like the JL FiX-86 that can flatten the signal be good, I'm wanting to keep the stock HU, and eventually retrofit a 2018 CarPlay capable UAS/UAQ system in, and avoid an aftermarket if I can...

tl;dr: LC7i + 5 channel amp = distorted highs past a certain volume, will the FiX-86 "fix" this and let me keep stock HU?

Bigtymes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello RAM Forum,

I recently had an OEM integrated system installed in my 2017 Lone Star Silver. And overall it sounds okay, but the highs are just overkill above say 20 on the volume dial. Sibilance kills your ears, and rock music distorts heavily, mids and highs become super muddled. Basically about 30-40% of the music I listen to, is now... unlistenable.

So here are the pertinent details:
Factory 8.4A
Base 6-speaker/Non-Alpine System
Audio Control LC7i
JL Audio RD900/5
JL Audio Stealthbox
JL Audio C1-690tx (front)
Focal Auditor RCX-690 (rear)

So what I've been able to guess is the stock HU's signal has a lot of noise on the highs, and passing that through to get amplified at volumes above 20 is super noticeable. So the real question here is, would something like the JL FiX-86 that can flatten the signal be good, I'm wanting to keep the stock HU, and eventually retrofit a 2018 CarPlay capable UAS/UAQ system in, and avoid an aftermarket if I can...

tl;dr: LC7i + 5 channel amp = distorted highs past a certain volume, will the FiX-86 "fix" this and let me keep stock HU?
I am building a system currently, and purchased the lc7i for this problem and bass restoration. I decided to go with a dsp instead, so I have the lc7i brand new if you decide to go that route. I can do $120 shipped. Just throwing it out there. Not in a hurry to sell it or anything.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
The 86 should fix that. From what I've read, you will need to keep your head unit volume up to the max undistorted level and use the jl volume knob otherwise it will bring back some of the factory eq. Or you could buy some passive crossovers with a -3db switch for the tweets.

BadHabit2Break

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
your gonna need something with an eq to fix that issue. you should either upgrade that AudioControl unit to one with an eq or get a DSP.

OP
OP
S

shack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you

Bigtymes - Sorry I already have this equipment in the truck, thanks though

adurm, adrianp89, BadHabit2Break - Thank you for the input, I think I'm debating pulling the LC7i and getting a FiX-86 put in but at this point I'm leaning towards just having an aftermarket head unit installed its sounding like the 8.4A isn't up to the job. I can see what it does once he brings the gains down on the LC7i, I also noticed they didn't sum the front and rear for the sub channel so if I fade to the front there is 0 bass lol

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I see no reason to switch equipment - you should get sufficient enough sound. If he can't get it right, have another installer take a look.

icetraxx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the same base setup as you. Base non-alpine system, replacement focals front and RF rear speakers running off a 5 channel amp. I am running an audiocontrol dq-61. It took me about 2 days of playing with it to finally get the settings right. I didnt have any trouble with the mids and highs it was getting the right I love the way mine sounds and can crank it up way louder than my ears will take without distortion.
I never got mine to sum properly using the logic in the instructions. I was even contemplating that it was defective. I did get it to work.

I think it had to do with the way the headunit distributes the sound to the front and rear speakers. I think that i ended up using the front speaker inputs as inputs to the sub or 3 set of inputs. That gave me sub frequencies and I was able to filter out the high's and some mids with the 3rd speaker controls.

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
Im not a big fan of your speaker choices. Technically you have four metal dome tweeters in the front stage (amped) and four tweeters (don't know the materials) in the rear, due to you having two sets of 3-way coax 6x9's in the truck. Kinda not surprised your trucks is a bit harsh....lotta tweeters in there

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
I brought up the tweeters due to the fact that you listen to some Rock music, and you seem to like your music kinda loud. I love my metal music and rock music and I like my music pretty dang loud....due to those details, I can never run a metal dome tweeter...just too harsh. Now, if I enjoyed my music at moderate to lower volume levels, a metal dome tweeter can be a great option for some systems. Now add the fact that you have four pairs of metal domes....
Good stereo guys should ask what type of music their customer listens to, and if they like their music loud etc...then go from there.

OP
OP
S

shack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
autokraftgt - yeah I’d thought about this and am almost considering having them do components up front and putting the tweeters in place of the dash speakers. And I honestly don’t often listen to them that loud unless the windows are down, or I’m showing it off right? So my normal listening volume is 18-20 right now if I’m alone and 12 with passengers.

I had them turn down the gains and it sounds nicer, I think I’ve got it sounding good, although I feel like I am still lacking a few things that I’ll need a DSP for, so for the cost that’s going to run me I’m pretty settled on an aftermarket HU, plus I wind up with CarPlay so that’s not too bad.

Edit: icetraxx thanks for the input as well, I looked up the DQ-61 might do the trick if I end up staying with the factory HU.
Also I checked and the Focals have Mylar tweeters, and the JLs have Aluminum so yeah that explains a bit of the harshness on my front for sure.

sawz

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500 QC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've noticed the same thing. I utilized 0db 40hz and 1000hz tones to adjust for distortion and clipping via the method Crutchfield posts on their site by ear. I also utilized a voltmeter to adjust my final gains on my JL amps. Results for 40hz were the stock head unit would distort at 21, 20 it was good. With 1000hz it would distort a 30, 29 was good. Thinking that the 20 level was just too low I decided to try an SMD DD-1 distortion detector, it verified the above settings were correct. The conclusion is that the stock head unit is horrible, it injects distortion at way too low of a volume level. End result is the AMP gains are set, the LC7i is set, I've got no distortion. Typically I can raise the volume level to 27-28 without actually hearing any distortion, but I normally listen at it around 15-18 which is plenty loud for my old ears.

OP
OP
S

shack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've noticed the same thing. I utilized 0db 40hz and 1000hz tones to adjust for distortion and clipping via the method Crutchfield posts on their site by ear. I also utilized a voltmeter to adjust my final gains on my JL amps. Results for 40hz were the stock head unit would distort at 21, 20 it was good. With 1000hz it would distort a 30, 29 was good. Thinking that the 20 level was just too low I decided to try an SMD DD-1 distortion detector, it verified the above settings were correct. The conclusion is that the stock head unit is horrible, it injects distortion at way too low of a volume level. End result is the AMP gains are set, the LC7i is set, I've got no distortion. Typically I can raise the volume level to 27-28 without actually hearing any distortion, but I normally listen at it around 15-18 which is plenty loud for my old ears.

sawz - Thanks for this information, I ended up installing a Kenwood DDX6903S (I got it for around 449 since it's an outgoing model), and oh my god, feeding this system a flat signal is amazing! It was more money, yes, but all the distortion and harshness is gone. Also the false bass the LC7i was adding with AccuBass was muddying some songs that are now super crisp. The JL Stealthbox sounds so nice now, I'm going to redo the gains since the actual in-dash install took them a while and they didn't get it tuned before I had to take the truck. Overall the Schosche kit we used has a decent fit and finish, and the iDataLink Maestro retained all functionality, steering wheel controls work fine and so do all the AC and volume knobs. My wife will be happy to get the 8.4 from my truck in her Grand Cherokee at least :)