Foggy/blurry back up cam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hawkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Subscribing. I have the same issue with mine, started last week when i was in Michigan.:confused:

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
mine is pretty much the same way. Camera is a sealed unit. Once I get the extra cash I'm going to replace it with a new OEM one. Mine flickered for a while then went blurry. For now its turned off in the radio. Its about $200 for a new one.

You can take the actual camera module out and replace just that. I already had it all apart trying to find an issue.

clifford15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
There could be a tiny amount of moisture in the camera. If it gets hit directly by a high pressure washer it only takes a few drops of water to cause a problem.
I have a fairly inexpensive plate light camera on my Challenger and experienced this issue. Foggy lens and bad video. When I disassembled the camera it had water in it. That little bit of water would never evaporate (well maybe after a few years). Dried it out and back to normal.

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
its sealed unit. I know you can probably can force it apart but who knows if it will work.

Buuut now that I think about it. Its dead right now so it really can't get any worse.

I guess I'll add it to my try to fix list LOL

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
yes and no. I already took it all apart and connections are solid.

Next weekend I'm going to take the camera out and see if I can take it apart

tcazes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Subscribed. After switching from my volkswagen gti that had frickin 1280p had for a backup camera this thing drives me nuts lol

Flip-er

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Know this problem well, BUT for a fix, both tgimes my truck was still under the 3/36 warrenty, so the dealer fixed.
There fix was to replace the camera.
The first time, if looked like I was under water.
the second time it happened I was right at 35,990 miles so I called them with and snapped a pic on my phone with the screen and mileage.

As far as what causes it, they said the first time they saw a leak in the seal of camera,
YEA RIGHT
But they fixed it.
Good luck on thois.
If you are in good with your service dept. see if they can help you if your factory warrenty has run out.

tcazes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
See it sucks over here because even the salesman recommend go to a different dealership because of how horrible the service department is here. Basically, if it's under 500 I just take care of it myself. Anything over that and I'll try and get a warranty claim.

Flip-er

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
WOW
If the salemen tell you to go to a different dealer for service, that's not saying much at all for the one he works at.

ss12108

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 8 Speed
Oh good I posted about this a week or so ago. Same thing on my truck. Sometimes you can actually see the moisture, sometimes it's just foggy/blurry. Now that I think about it, it started after I made them polish and repaint my tailgate under warranty because rail dust caused rust spots to start coming through the paint before it was even a year old. They must have messed up the seal on the camera during the work.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If a factory install or you installed a factory kit .
I suggest :

1) remove the camera and pigtail assy with connector.

2 ) place that assy in a bowl of rice with a tight lid for a couple days .

3) reinstall , verify proper operations

If proper operations are verified then

4) remove the camera again , seal it externally with aviation grade Proseal or a quality RTV

5) Reinstall and enjoy .

If the drying process doesn't work ..... Purchase a new camera , I've found them for $88.00 , but usually $165+

Good luck !

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
So if you replace the OEM camera with a after market camera is it just plug and play ? Any issue with the connection? Thanks

spoon059

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
So if you replace the OEM camera with a after market camera is it just plug and play ? Any issue with the connection? Thanks
If you are talking about the link that I provided, the answer is NO. That camera from Amazon has an RCA plug, whereas the OEM camera is regular wire connections.

I'm sure you can buy the OEM camera, but I have yet to see them for under $150ish

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you are talking about the link that I provided, the answer is NO. That camera from Amazon has an RCA plug, whereas the OEM camera is regular wire connections.

I'm sure you can buy the OEM camera, but I have yet to see them for under $150ish
Here's one just now with a Google search of the camera p/n 56038978__
The letters @ the end p/n do not matter .

a6f1c663549e6cbe9cc1efdfc134cca0.png

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just found another for $84

Randy_in_AK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Foggy Camera

I had the same thing twice.
I looked at some forums and they suggested replacing the camera.
They're pretty pricey so I pulled the camera unit out and heated it with a heat gun to dry it out. You need to be careful if using a heat gun, it can melt the housing and or wires. I then left it to sit in the sun for a few hours and put it back and it was perfect. Then it happened again after I went through one of those "touchless" car wash places that uses pressure washers basically.
I had to pull it apart again and did the same thing, dried it out, put it all back together and it's been perfect ever since. No more of those car washes though.
A hair dryer would probably do just fine too...