Fox Box - Anyone swap from Alpines to Sundown?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

riored4v

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Currently have a ported Fox Box with two Alpine Type R's. I've noticed they get pretty toasty under heavy daily use. Working on redoing the stereo in my mustang and since it's not daily driven, I'm considering moving the Type R's to that car and then tossing in some Sundown SA 12's since I love the Sundown SD in my fiance's car.

Has anyone done this switch before? If so, is there a noticeable difference between the two?

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sundown makes that sub to take a beating so I wouldn't worry to much about it getting hot, what I would worry about is why the alpines get hot. They are a pretty decent sub and I would make sure you aren't sending a clipped signal to it and end up roasting them or the sundowns. Issue you might find trying to fit the sundown in a fox box is it has an oversized cast basket compared to the alpine and will need the cutout enlarged a bit. As for sound they should be right on par with each other as they were both designed as a relatively low distortion sub with the capabilities to get loud.

OP
OP
riored4v

riored4v

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've seen a couple people on Youtube use the Sundown SD's, so I feel like they should fit. But yea, with the basket on them I could definitely see what you're saying. I don't mind trimming the Fox Box a little if I need to. I was also thinking it might require a larger seat spacer to allow room for the larger surround on the Sundowns.

For the signal, from what I can tell there is no clipping. I can crank it up loud and can't notice anything by ear. Granted I don't have a DMM, but i've never had issues setting by ear in the past and this has been the only set of subs I've owned recently (SSA and Ethos being the other recent ones) that has got hot with heavy use. ONLY thing that i can think of is potentially the LC6i is set too high, but installed it per the instructions. Cranked the volume, turn the LC6i up until the light started to flash and even then, I turned it down more since I wasn't liking the way the subs were sounding (i.e. way too loud even with the gain on the amp at around 1/4).

S

scotts2012ram

I have two sundown e10s hopefully will be going to sa10s soon

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
How high on the volume knob are you going as most stock head units don't send the cleanest signal

S

scotts2012ram

I'm now running aftermarket everything now but these subs get stupid loud when powered right.

OP
OP
riored4v

riored4v

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Curious how you will like the SA10's. I love our single SD12 only powered on 400w. I figure with the SA12's they should be pretty damn loud and sound good with the amp I have.

As far as volume goes, I'm only going to about 3/4 volume. 3/4 is pretty much what I've tuned the subs/amp and use it as my max volume.

S

scotts2012ram

I like the e10s they can get very loud and low. I just know running the amp I am Im pushing them to hard. I have the tools to set my gains and even with them lower then half of its max when played hard I get the smell of burning coils. They'll probably get reconed and put in my other truck

OP
OP
riored4v

riored4v

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's how my Alpine's are. I could start to smell them the other day when pounding on them hard and figured I should start considering other options.

With the Sundown's, did you have to run an additional seat spacer?